South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 18-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Bronze Member

Default Best ISP if landlady already has BT landline?

Hi All,

Figured this might be a good place to get some opinions.

She already has a bt landline paid for in advance with option 3 unlimited talk, so going fibre or perhaps virgin cable?

Virgin cable seemed good at 50 meg for the money. Especially with 9 and 12 month contracts.

Not sure on BT infinity if it is worth going with them as they already have a line but have heard/read nightmares...sometimes other ISP's like sky require you to have a landline with them. Other's maybe not.

Or someone else like Zen?

I don't really need more than 38-50 meg options, but unlimited useage and avoiding as much traffic shaping/usage policies is best ! : D

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions...:@
Old 18-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Been with Plusnet for years from when it was dial up and now have an unlimited 76Meg fibre deal but that does include having the phone with them as well, never had any problems and cost me about £35 a month because we don't use the land line, although evening and weekend calls to normal UK numbers are included.

You can get it without their phone package but they'll charge you a £50 set up fee.

Can you get Virgin cable in Eastbourne?
Old 18-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Zen are very good customer-service wise, but normally not the cheapest. They do a lot of business products too so have good support (all in the UK).

Do you have sky tv? If so, then I'd go with them as they do good bundle prices (was paying £10/month uncapped with the tv and phone package). Used to have sky broadband but when we moved I cancelled and went with BT Infinity so I could get the BT Sport channels for free
Old 18-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Steve I am on sky now but won't be having sky at the new address so really just a fibre or cable option is best.

Shane alot of people reccomend plusnet, and I have heard good things personally as well. May have to give them a bell.

Virgin is available in the area where I am moving a wee bit closer towards London ; )

I think LLU or something with allowing other providers to use fibre (aside from BT) may not be enabled at the exchange according to samknows. So its maybe between BT infinity and Virgin unless I want to wait a month or so (who knows if their predicted enablement is accurate or not lol)
Old 18-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Plusnet have been great for me, sky and BT couldn't get anywhere near their upload speeds.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-09-2014, 08:28 PM

You will laugh but have had no problems with Talk Talk (unbundled broadband to start with then they kindly provided fibre with a land line) similar deal to BT infinity but a little cheaper, there is some traffic shaping on PTP in peak times, but not on anything else, usage is unlimited
Talk Talk where the first round my neck of the woods to offer a fibre solution, and I was nervous to say the least being with BT before which was fine, and before that Orange which was a total "Fi&King nightmare!".

I think we pay around £46 a month for phone line rental and fibre unlimited though I could be wrong on this.. I never read the bill!

At work as Steve says we recommend Zen to our business clients, as they offer decent business service, not to mention monthly contracts with no fixed term.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 18-09-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 18-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Virgin Media 60Mb connection here, pretty reliable and very quick. I pay about £30/month which includes a phone line rental as well. Not had any problems with unlimited usage.