South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 25-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Operation Bug

Having owned the car for over a year now it's time I made my own mark on the car!

2 owners before me had gotten the car to where it was the day I picked it up, 387Bhp and 391ftlb which was a lot of fun!

I did a lot of research in to which direction I wanted to go with the car, not being able to find any decent EJ22 blocks at the right time I had originally planned to get the existing EJ25 Block closed and go from there... However, someone knew of an EJ22 block for sale which turned out to be less than 2 miles from me..... cheers for the heads up Anger

Had a day off work so borrowed an engine hoist from a friend which unbelievably I managed to fit in my smart car!

After consulting with google I found a couple of guides and managed to pull the engine out from start to finish in approx 4-5 hours which wasn't bad for my first time!

Point to note:-

Make sure everything is disconnected that needs to be ESPECIALLY the clutch fork pin - I went and made a tea and came back and had forgotten to do this which resulted me pulling the engine AND the car backwards and forwards for a while!

Admittedly I know dick all about the internals of engines so I will not be doing any engine work, I will however be doing everything else to the car myself or with a bit of help from people who have the know-how!

Engine is now out and have started to take the heads off. Once this is done the block halves and heads will be sent for some work whilst i sort out new internals then get someone to build the engine for me.

Whilst this is done I will crack on with the bits I can do myself to the car, engine bay will be cleaned up and a few things will be replaced and/or relocated to elsewhere in the car - I will ultimately be going for a de cluttered look in the engine bay.

I am in discussion with a chap who will be custom building a couple of bits for the car which i will post up once they are confirmed and on there way

Still haven't decided on which turbo to go for yet either.

This build is going to take a while due to work commitments etc but I will post up as it takes place!
Old 25-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Heads are stripped now, ready to be cleaned and sent away along with the block halves for 14mm stud conversion and some other work....

Everything was photo'd and labelled and stored separately so i know where it goes/came from and so nothing gets damaged!

I've noticed that on both heads there are some tiny hairline cracks that run from the sparkplug holes towards the valves, there only a couple of mm deep and approx 5-6mm long. I've done some reading and it seems this is common on Subaru heads?

Magnetic pen tool came in very handy when removing valve collets!

Valve guides are staying put for now, I will be replacing the valves, springs, retainers, seals and the Camshafts will be uprated too

Next job whilst the block and heads are away will be to remove the aircon rad and pipework, I'll also start moving washer bottle and the battery to the boot.
Old 25-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Given Heads and covers a quick clean before sending them for a proper clean!
Old 25-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quick update:

Found some v8 heads with no cracks,Thanks to JK on Kentscoobies for those, supertech inconel and nitrided valves, double springs, titanium retainers etc..... have all arrived just got to decide whether to get cams now or later, Heads will be sent off for necessary work soon - any recommendations!?

I was originally going to go down the front low mounted turbo route and had the manifold lined up and ready to be made by a tuning company in australia but decided that the extra cost for the extra bits to make it work doesn't outweigh the gains over a rotated setup...... so I'm going rotated

Rotated turbo kit and turbo have been ordered from RCM along with a few other bits

EJ22 is ready to be built back up with the following:-
102mm CP Pistons
Forged Pauter Rods
EJ25 79mm Crank from my old Block
Engine will be a 2.65 once built

All new bolts etc will be used along with Cosworth 260,000 psi head studs..... I was going to go down the 14mm conversion route but the costs are mounting up and still need to source a few more bits yet

Still on shopping list are:-

exhaust Manifold
centre pipe and backbox
Injectors + fuel rails
flywheel
Clutch
intercooler
Possibly going to ditch the Simtek and go for something else

Will upload photo's when this stuff arrives hopefully later today
Old 25-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

More bits arrived earlier......

and block........

Old 25-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

You boring it out to make it a 2.65 or did you mean 2.35 ?
Old 25-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

97.5 mm are normally 2.35 pistons arn't they
Old 25-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
You boring it out to make it a 2.65 or did you mean 2.35 ?

it's been bored and honed to 2.65, I actually sold the original EJ22 I had as it worked out a bit cheaper to buy this with the pistons and work done to the block than get it all done to the block I already had
Old 25-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

What sort of power and torque would you get from that size engine, is it better than a 2.35? Looking good tho
Old 25-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Torque should be amazing on tat size? Nice shiny bits
Old 26-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greig View Post
What sort of power and torque would you get from that size engine, is it better than a 2.35? Looking good tho
This should have more torque than a 2.35 but won't be as rev happy or as reliable i think in this case as it has been sleeved for the 102mm pistons, power wise I've no idea to be honest, I'm not getting my hopes set on any specific figures but will be happy with anything in or above the mid 500's
Old 26-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
Torque should be amazing on tat size? Nice shiny bits
I've seen a yank car with a 2.65 but was twinscroll and spec was a fair bit different, that was 550fltb which is still a fair bit!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Had an email this morning saying some parts had arrived for me, I'm away from home for two weeks and had a few hours spare so I jumped in the smart car and took a trip up to RCM to pick up said parts!

Had a chat with Olly and Mike and had a tour of the workshop, that place is awesome and I didn't get told 'don't touch that' once!

great bunch of people and very professional too.

Will hopefully be getting block and bits dropped off near me next week for building, haven't had a chance so far as been away from home or flat out at work...

Rotated Kit:

And Turbo

Old 14-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

this is super serious good work!!
Old 19-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Regular User

Amazing parts you have there mate! Especially the engine block that holds virtually any power you may ever want
Old 19-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Bronze Member

Excellent mate. Good read that.

How much would the parts come to for the built rather than buying full kit?

I've got a ej22 Sat round my cousins that I'm thinking of stripping and adding bits too.
Old 19-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radex View Post
Amazing parts you have there mate! Especially the engine block that holds virtually any power you may ever want
Thanks mate, it should hold pretty decent power although the fact it has been sleeved has brought the reliability factor down straight away compared to a standard ej22, then there's the clamping pressure from the head studs, haven't gone for the 14mm conversion but the Cosworth ones are the 260,000psi jobbies, hopefully they'll hold up to the job!
Old 19-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
Excellent mate. Good read that.

How much would the parts come to for the built rather than buying full kit?

I've got a ej22 Sat round my cousins that I'm thinking of stripping and adding bits too.

Cheers mate

I found the hardest bit was finding and buying an EJ22 block, if you already have one thats the hard bit out the way!

I've spent a while searching for and buying the other bits that are above in the thread, it's taken a while but saved a lot of money especially getting parts from the states

I guess it all comes down to what exactly you'd need to buy and what turbo setup you'd want..... turbo and crank would have a massive dent in the cost but I'm using the 79mm crank from my old block and had a bit of a result when I brought the turbo

for the short block your looking at rods, pistons, crank, bearings, machining work, new engine case seals and bolts and head bolts...... over 2 grand easily depending on how much your willing to spend on bits! then there's the heads and making them as un-restrictive as possible....
Old 19-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Nige

Monster that's going to be. I'm looking for some ideas .
Old 19-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Monster that's going to be. I'm looking for some ideas .
Know where there is a ej22 if your after one
Old 20-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Know where there is a ej22 if your after one
Resist i must resist
Old 20-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member

Looking forward to seeing what the 2.65 gives out. You not tempted to get the billet crank from the states?
Old 20-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Looking forward to seeing what the 2.65 gives out. You not tempted to get the billet crank from the states?
I was initially going to but after doing some reading and speaking to a couple of people I was told that the original crank I have already would be easily up to the job so going to stick to that for now
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Nothing exciting to report, still searching for and buying bits I need but slowly getting there, been stupid busy at work and not been home much to sort anything out.

Had a couple of hours spare today and having seen the U-shaped Subframe on the car had developed some heavy rust in a couple of places I got a replacement from a breakers and gave that a once over today......

Cleaned and wire brushed

Coat of primer

Then finally a layer or 2 of Metal paint...

Need to make a final decision on which Headers to go for, 99% decided on equal length just got to decide which out of 3 possibles I will be opting for
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Looking good

Have to say the turf looks in great condition is it new?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
Looking good

Have to say the turf looks in great condition is it new?
Funny you should mention that, had the lawn turfed twice in the last 3 years and it got riddled with leatherjackets both times and died (I blame the turf company)...... Astroturf is the way forward and what you see in the picture!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomma View Post
Funny you should mention that, had the lawn turfed twice in the last 3 years and it got riddled with leatherjackets both times and died (I blame the turf company)...... Astroturf is the way forward and what you see in the picture!
Looks great IMO,is it expensive if you don`t mind me asking?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Nice one you lazy gardener!

Guess the secret with yourtieschedue is to drop it off at the builders and pick it up ina few months on your next day off
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
Looks great IMO,is it expensive if you don`t mind me asking?
For the company to come in, take up old turf, do all the prep work and lay the new stuff and take all the rubbish away was just under a grand including vat.... Seems to be quite popular at the mo as there was a 2 month wait and it took less than a day to do!

Last edited by Tomma; 17-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice one you lazy gardener!

Guess the secret with yourtieschedue is to drop it off at the builders and pick it up ina few months on your next day off
You know I'm the one with the green fingers!! I don't even know how the garden ended up looking like that.... Fairies!?

Believe it or not I have a day off next Monday! It will probably be a couple of months, one of the downfalls of being paid monthly I guess!
Old 20-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Few more bits arrived from RCM today

Tial 44mm Wastegate

RCM Equal Length Manifold and upipe

Cosworth Inlet Manifold

The Cosworth manifold needs an adaptor plate to be able to run a throttle cable which I have sourced, camshafts will be ordered today.

Already have rotated up pipe with the Rotated turbo kit so the up pipe will be sold

Just need fuel rails and injectors and possibly vernier pulleys then thats pretty much it for the engine thank god!!
Old 20-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Very nice, this is going to be one decent build to watch take shape!
Old 20-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Cheers Steve, it all seems to be coming together now, just hope I can afford to put petrol in it once its finished!
Old 20-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Nige

My old Bug was born to be fast. Now it's going to be that & more.
Old 20-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Can't beat a delivery like that!

Love the cossie manifold, want one myself one day. Do you know what improvement they make over standard though?
Old 20-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Can't beat a delivery like that!

Love the cossie manifold, want one myself one day. Do you know what improvement they make over standard though?
It all arrived the next day!

I did research into the manifold before I brought it, there doesn't seem to be any much if any gain over stock manifolds until about 600bhp, opinion seems to be it starts being beneficial with higher powered bigger turbo cars.

This thread has data comparison on a few different manifolds including the OEM and cosworth manifold - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2229576
Old 20-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
My old Bug was born to be fast. Now it's going to be that & more.
I'm itching to see what it puts out when done!
Old 23-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Had a couple of spare hours yesterday so measured, cut and cut some more to get fuse box recessed into nearside wing, was considering leaving the wing intact and mounting it upside down inside the wing yank style but thought a) it would be a pain in the a** and b) it rains in this country and a wet fuse box would not be ideal!

Doesn't look too bad and fuses are still accessible, just need to rust proof the cut edges and put some grommet strip around the hole, will eventually mount fuse box brackets on inside edge of wing to tuck it in a bit more

Next job is to sort out cabling for Battery to Boot relocation!!

Last edited by Tomma; 23-09-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

This looks awesome Tom,great job on relocation of the fuse box,something we are thinking too,great idea on relocation place

Jura
Old 23-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

And why did you do that with the fuse box?
Old 23-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
And why did you do that with the fuse box?
Solely aesthetics, washer bottle and battery are being located in boot, will be looking to hide/tuck wires in some places too, dad is an electrician by trade (not a gangster as my friends think!) and is looking at lengthening wires or even making a custom loom if suitable... he also has access to Pirtek hoses and fittings so will be using them where possible

Have also purchased a combined power steering/header tank off someone on 22b so will be looking to put that in somewhere too.... apparantly it's a genuine prodrive Wrc part

Last edited by Tomma; 03-10-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Last Major part for engine build has arrived

GSC Power Division S3 Camshafts - 282/282 profile so will be pretty lumpy....

SLowly starting to come together now thank god, just a few more bits to buy then I can start buying food again!!!

This is the Engine Spec as it stands:-

EJ22 Block
Sleeved to 102mm with Darton Sleeves
Rear thrust conversion
79mm Crankshaft
CP Forged Pistons
Pauter X-Beam 1000Bhp Rods
ACL Competition Main End Bearing
ACL Competition Big End Bearings
ACT Prolite Flywheel

RCM Equal Length Headers
RCM Rotated Kit
Billet GT35R Turbo
Tial 44mm Wastegate

Cosworth Intake Manifold
JDM Big Port Heads
GSC Power Division 282/282 Camshafts
Supertech Dual valve Springs
Supertech Titanium Retainers
Supertech Valve stem seals
Supertech Nitrided Inlet Valves
Supertech Inconel Exhaust Valves
OEM One piece buckets

Gates Kevlar timing belt
New cam belt kit
New water pump

Have ditched Cosworth Head studs and will be opting for SMG 14mm conversion

In the pipeline or ordered are:

Lateral Baffled Sump
RCM Vernier pulleys
Possibly new 11mm Oil Pump
ACT SB4-XTR4 Clutch kit

Once engine is back in will sort out fuelling and brakes and will probably be opting for 3" centre pipe and Team Ice rear section

Intercooler wise I am almost definitely going to opt for 70MM RS500 type intercooler and custom pipe work

I've probably forgotten something so will edit this post later!!!

Last edited by Tomma; 03-10-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Nice spec Tom

Jura
Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Nige

282/282 will be lumpy should also give you an extra bit to play with on your overall rev range though.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jura11 View Post
Nice spec Tom

Jura
Thanks Jura, thanks for advice with parts too
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
282/282 will be lumpy should also give you an extra bit to play with on your overall rev range though.
Fingers crossed that combined with the extra cc's works!
Old 13-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Authorised Trader

Looking good Tom
Old 13-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Nige

You may have to be very quick with your gear leaver though Tomma.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Last couple of bits arriving now,

CDF Racing Adjustable Exhaust Pulleys

RCM Baffle Plate

Decided on just a new OEM sump and baffle plate in the end mainly due to the cost which would have an effect on how much longer car will be off the road. Once car is run in I will swap for a Baffled Sump when the time for track and Drag action arrives....

Clutch has been ordered and is on its way

Once Jura's new engine has been built mine should be next in the queue!
Old 23-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

it would be nice to see this whipping round the track in germany in May...get your name down!