South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 30-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Nige

Default A Bit of a shame

In between my night shifts young Scottie came around to show me his new car. Scottie has always wanted a scooby so bought one off a member on here. I asked Scott to join this forum as i new he would have plenty of question to ask you guy's. One of the main reasons of asking him to join is as ive told him this is one hell of a friendly forum. Anyway Scott desided to show off his new car at his first ever meet @ Dunnings Mill. It turns out as far as he was conserned the meet was rubish. I was a bit suprised at this and asked why. He told me apart from Big E [thanks mate] nobody else spoke to him. Maybe we could in future introduce the newbies at meet's. He dosnt know i'm putting this on the forum, i might even sound like his dad holding his hand. Point is he is Scooby mad saved & bought one at the age of 20 took it to what i told him, a friendly meet & got ignored. Just hought i would put my two pennys worth in.

Last edited by Nige; 30-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 30-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Crowman

Nige
That really is a shame.
One thing we have always been proud of is our open and friendly meets.
Big E is always very active and makes people feel very welcome.
A quick introduction to everyone is a good idea,its never easy on your 1st meet.
Old 30-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Good point raised Nige.

The same has been said about several meets I have attended with other clubs.

A quick 5 minutes walk around club members introducing a new member (and fellow Scooby lover) would be 5 minutes well spent.
Old 30-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
A quick 5 minutes walk around club members introducing a new member (and fellow Scooby lover) would be 5 minutes well spent.
I agree - i know in the past i've been chatting to people, but didn't know who they were on the forum. Never got round to asking as we were too busy as a group chinwagging about turbos and stuff!

Maybe a mugshots thread would help - i'm sure we had one a year or so ago? Maybe it needs a bump so it helps put faces to usernames for some of the newer members? I know theres a similar thread going at the moment for the cars, but unless you see someone pull up and climb out, you don't necessarily know who's car is who's.....
Old 30-01-2010, 06:16 PM
MrX???

Although its a shame he didn't enjoy his 1st meet, it has highlighted a problem / issue and it does show we as a club try and resolve issues as they arise without people posting the negative issues, things can not be improved.

Perhaps we need to have a volunteer for each meet, who looks after the new members(as suggested). Somebody for the new member to go to when they first arrive and somebody to do the introductions to other existing members.

BIG"E" makes a brilliant effort at meeting and greeting and would obviously be first choice for this role.

Perhaps a voluntary chaperone role? We can (or rather "E" can) include details within the first post of the appropriate meets thread:

Chaperone for this meet will be ????? we suggest all new attendees talk to ???? and they will introduce you to the other members.

The chaperone could be anyone who wants to volunteer and who is going to be at the meet early enough to do it. (perhaps they could wear a hat)

The other thing to remember is, does the new member make the effort also? we are all approachable and introductions work both ways.
Old 30-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Crowman

Some good ideas Mr X
I am sure Subarman has a suitable hat hidden somewhere
Old 30-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Shame that as Scottie is a nice lad....God we're all sounding like Dad's now.
Old 30-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Shame that as Scottie is a nice lad....God we're all sounding like Dad's now.
lol, we do sound old dont we
Old 30-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

when i joined up to a certain forum a year or so a go with a friend of mine(fellow scoobie nut) he came across the same situation and hasnt been back on or near a meet since!!!
tried hard to get him back on recently and is to put off from first experiances.. so think a action plan is needed.
Old 30-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Ive still not said 'hello' to everyone, sometimes it takes time. Jap Bash was a exellent forum to get to know everyone, with the evening activities really helping.

I understand where he's comming from, but sometimes you also have to be a little assertive.

Ive been to Kent, Surrey and Sussex meets and find the more meets you attend, the more people you finally get round to talking too.
Old 30-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I had owned my P1 for 2 yrs before attending anything. First meet I saw in SIDC I turned up and got totally blanked other than 2 guys. Now I know them as Stiggy (Pete) and Eureka (Steve).

Now I know about 4.6 million and lost the plot

Made some really good mates too !
Old 30-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Default a

I think the t-shirts help, but only when it's not -100 outside!!
Old 30-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Its like it at every club, its human nature, sometimes it does also need the new member to make an effort too though
Old 31-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
Its like it at every club, its human nature, sometimes it does also need the new member to make an effort too though
Totally agree, its a 2 way thing
Old 31-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Bronze Member

We were lucky because our first meet was Japbash,and our scoobies are not the run of the mill, but as has been said the shirts do help (but only in the warm weather).
We have made some great friends but I still have problems putting names to faces, always will doit's called the over "50" syndrome.
Maybe laminated name badges on neck lanyards could help??
Old 31-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Shame to hear that mate, when i first went to a meet with ses everyone was really friendly and came and spoke to us, we also made the effort to go and introduce our selves too, ive found at other clubs though new members are just ignored and can be quite clicky
Old 31-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granby View Post
Totally agree, its a 2 way thing
3rd that
Old 31-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
In between my night shifts young Scottie came around to show me his new car. Scottie has always wanted a scooby so bought one off a member on here. I asked Scott to join this forum as i new he would have plenty of question to ask you guy's. One of the main reasons of asking him to join is as ive told him this is one hell of a friendly forum. Anyway Scott desided to show off his new car at his first ever meet @ Dunnings Mill. It turns out as far as he was conserned the meet was rubish. I was a bit suprised at this and asked why. He told me apart from Big E [thanks mate] nobody else spoke to him. Maybe we could in future introduce the newbies at meet's. He dosnt know i'm putting this on the forum, i might even sound like his dad holding his hand. Point is he is Scooby mad saved & bought one at the age of 20 took it to what i told him, a friendly meet & got ignored. Just hought i would put my two pennys worth in.
We went out of our way to say hello and we introduced him to a few others, as thats what we are like. So we are a bit concerned about this as we always try and make newbies feel welcome.
Old 31-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Maybe a mugshots thread would help
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...hread.php?t=90

It's still there!!!

It is a shame Scott feels like that, but as already been said it is a two way thing. To be honest i haven't spoken to half the people on here , because you wrapped up in conversation with people and before you know it people have gone inside to eat or have to leave early.

I hope he will return to future meetings and get to know people
Old 31-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

Hi guys, i just want to add that yes, i see what your saying about go to talk to others but when your standing there and everyone is in segments talking to others and im there on my own i felt a bit alone, i cant even remember anyone even glancing at us.

Big E did introduce me to Worzel, he said hi but everyone else around the car didnt even bother, im sorry if i wasnt forward enough but i felt that was unfair. even at the bar only baz and the fly spoke to us.

all i was saying to nigel is that it wasnt like i expected, i travelled a long way to talk to what 4 people and no one even noticed the new car there either.

sorry if i wasnt confident enough but im 20 yrs old and was the youngest there.

thats my piece said.

Cheers.
Old 31-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie :) View Post
Hi guys, i just want to add that yes, i see what your saying about go to talk to others but when your standing there and everyone is in segments talking to others and im there on my own i felt a bit alone, i cant even remember anyone even glancing at us.

Big E did introduce me to Worzel, he said hi but everyone else around the car didnt even bother, im sorry if i wasnt forward enough but i felt that was unfair. even at the bar only baz and the fly spoke to us.

all i was saying to nigel is that it wasnt like i expected, i travelled a long way to talk to what 4 people and no one even noticed the new car there either.

sorry if i wasnt confident enough but im 20 yrs old and was the youngest there.

thats my piece said.

Cheers.
I'm sure if you come to another meet, you will find each meet you go to more and more peeps talking to you
Old 31-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
I'm sure if you come to another meet, you will find each meet you go to more and more peeps talking to you
Very true, just get in there and chat, we were all newbies at one time
Old 31-01-2010, 06:54 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

As CJ said, its worth coming to a few more, it sometimes takes time to meet everyone and feel at home. This club is a really friendly one and i'm sure given another meet, you will feel more comfortable.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

Righto, I'm not coming to the next meet now...........seeing as I'll be a newbie coupled with the fact I ain't got an Impreza, I reckon I'll be laughed outta the car park

PS: As long as it's a pub car park and you all laugh me in the general direction of the bar

Ok, so it's not an Impreza but I need room for the dog so
Old 31-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

That was a bit ironic Scotty because I am in many clubs with this being in the top two friendliest.

Hang in there mate, you will enjoy the summer
Old 31-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Nige

Right Scottie if I'm not working when the next meet is on you come with me mate. Scooby owners alway's take note when an Evo turns up Ha! Ha!. Honestly mate there a good bunch really. I'm in the MLR forum & there dead when i comes to bit of pea taking. Even though i drive a none Scoob the guys on here in general are fantastic.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Scottie first meet i ever went to was a Surrey meet and the only person i spoke to was another newbie... at the end we both said bollox to this and went

I went to the next one and started to speak to people and now im a mod on there and know everyone at meets, it dosnt happen over night... but once you get to know a few members it just grows and grows

Never did see the other newbie again tho

Stick at it mate and soon your know most
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
Scottie first meet i ever went to was a Surrey meet and the only person i spoke to was another newbie... at the end we both said bollox to this and went

I went to the next one and started to speak to people and now I'm a mod on there and know everyone at meets, it doesn't happen over night... but once you get to know a few members it just grows and grows

Never did see the other newbie again tho

Stick at it mate and soon your know most

Scott we've all been there mate, me included.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 AM
worzel

Scottie, as said many times, it's sad to hear this. BigE did introduce Scotty to me and we had a brief chat and commented on his car and how good it looked and the debate he started on the "best Colour" threa (It's still silver by the way ). Then in a flash I was talking to someone else.

I think what Rich said is right, you probably get time to speak to half of the people there before either you are going early (which was the case with me at the meet) or the people you haven't got round to are going.

Stick with Scottie
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 AM
SES Mercedes Division

At one of the next meets, Andy, who you bought the car off will be there, im sure he will chat away for hours.

There is a subaru club in the south east area that is worse. New members turned up, looked around for a bit then went without talking to a single person.

If they did stay around, some members were just rude to them.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Some good ideas Mr X
I am sure Subarman has a suitable hat hidden somewhere
Depending on the shape, will determine where I have hidden it.............

I think it is excellent that this topic concerning a common problem has been raised on here and commented upon in such an adult manner. I am sure a solution will be forthcoming and that all the members will act together to avoid this sort of thing as much as is possible.

Let me know which hat you want to use. I like this one.

Or maybe these would stand out?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
At one of the next meets, Andy, who you bought the car off will be there, im sure he will chat away for hours.

There is a subaru club in the south east area that is worse. New members turned up, looked around for a bit then went without talking to a single person.

If they did stay around, some members were just rude to them.
i remember that day lol
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Bronze Member

Thumbs up

As C.J said...

"I'm sure if you come to another meet, you will find each meet you go to more and more peeps talking to you "

My first few East and West meets were a bit flat. It was only Keith and Ian (Dyney) that used to go out of their way to speak to me. I tried to join in conversations, but was never really accepted.

There seemed to be groups with the main group that knew each other from being at school, or from the pub or from work which was always going to be difficult to gel with.

Anyway... I kept going back and found more and more people talked. I made acquaintances with Keith… and as you all know… the rest is history.

Perseverance is the key my young Padawun
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
Depending on the shape, will determine where I have hidden it.............

I think it is excellent that this topic concerning a common problem has been raised on here and commented upon in such an adult manner. I am sure a solution will be forthcoming and that all the members will act together to avoid this sort of thing as much as is possible.

Let me know which hat you want to use. I like this one.

Or maybe these would stand out?

The 1st pic is spot on.
What you think Ian, can you see yourself wearing it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Crowman: PMSL @ that first picture!.

You look as if you may be related to my wife in a strange way regarding dress sense. !