South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 18-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Default Project: 555

Suppose I better start a project thread as today is a new page for me in Subaru ownership. I generally don't buy a make of car twice, especially straight after owning one already, I prefer to move on and try something else. Though recent activities put a premature end to my Subaru driving experience which I wasn't ready to give up, mostly because of the excellent people on here.

It all started about this time last Saturday, when after a year of my wagon sitting on the drive, it was finally back on the road, after a manic week of running around getting everything sorted. We got up early, lack of sleep and generally feeling knackered, Jo and I drove down to the Harwood track day at Goodwood. I was looking forward to a nice day of enjoying my car again. Unfortunately Scott couldn't make it, which I was slightly disappointed with, as he had organised it all, but family illness meant he was on bucket duty.

All week I had been looking at the weather app on my phone and everything seemed perfect. Well seems the rain made an appearance, which appears I wasn't completely geared up for.

My first session I went out taking it easy, getting used to the car again. Chequered flag came out and cool down lap commenced, got as far as St Mary's where I saw a Ferrari in my rear view mirror coming up quite quickly, so I decided to take the bend a little quicker than my normal cool down speed, but no where near the speed I went on the previous lap.......... Something went wrong on the exit, back swung round and after a few nano seconds of trying to rescue the car, the wet grass and the tyre wall did the rest.

Feeling quite ashamed of my stupidity and foolishness, my thoughts now turned to Jo's safety (honestly), then to the reality of, great another Scooby owner crashing at Goodwood and the embarasment of returning. To the pits, tail between legs.

Well Jo was ok, after the initial shock, I was happier as the car still drove, but most of all I was treated by truely kind people I am lucky to call friends, yes you lot. I still had a fantastic day, but my brain couldn't stop thinking about what was next.

Car home I decided I was going to probably repair the wagon and but a hawk front end on it. After several days of changing my mind about 100 times, it looked like I was going to do a bugeye prodrive saloon conversion on the front.

I was just going to order the parts when CJ sent me a message that would change everything.......James Nash's (Angers) caged rolling shell 555 classic was for sale. I have never moved so quick in my life, a few frantic phone calls to CJ, James and the finance Minster (Jo) and a deal was struck.

So where are we now?
Well today is the day, I clear the garage (sorry Golf R32) and CJ and I (big thanks to CJ, a true enthusiast and general good guy) go and pick up the car. I have not felt this for ages, very excited is an understatement.

So there you go, introduction over, let the project begin!
Old 18-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

It'll be a silver lining and may be 555Si for a name lol
Old 18-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Good luck with it mate. Should be able to pop up sometime on Sunday with the flywheel and to have a nosey
Old 18-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Si... Been waiting to hear what your future plans are going to be after that fateful day! I am glad that all be it for one day only I got to see you in the wagon, thinking at times maybe you were just a deranged R32 owner who claimed he had a Scoob just to be part of the club...

It's exciting to here about the start of something new, at least you are going to have the caged shell in your life you have often been talking about!

Good luck with the project, hope to see plenty of updates and pics as things progress. Just how much of this new car is a blank canvas, what are your initial plans and ideas going forward?

Sad to hear the R32 is going but if this is a new track weapon then so be it, at least you know where to focus all you attention and the money.
Old 18-04-2015, 11:35 AM

Yeah, the R32 has a special place in my heart, but i don't know why, it doesn't seem to fit in any partically box for a car i need. I now need the space for the track car in the garage and i can't bring myself to keep the golf outside. so i guess decision is made.

Also the reason the wagon was offroad for so long is i find it hard to juggle all the cars i have and the time needed spending on them, so downsizing to just 3 cars in total....lol. currently got 7 i think.
Old 18-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

I wasn't able to make the track day but I have been following your progress on the forum and am glad you have things sorted and you're both OK. Good luck with the exciting new project
Old 18-04-2015, 11:54 AM

OK, so to wet the appetite for those that are interested. The car has been a project for several owners over on Surrey Scoobies, so below are the links.

This car has been off the road I believe for about 10 years and the project going for about 5 or 6, hopefully I plan to have this back up and running by the end of the year. I am determined to get this car on the road again. Some of you may know, that when i finally get motivated, i don't hang around.

Nick (Bomag) - original instigator - http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/foru...ht=project+555

Then onto Tom, visually the game changer - http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=42530

The car then went to James (Anger), and at this point I am not sure what was done in the last 9 months or so, maybe he can fill us in?
Old 18-04-2015, 11:59 AM

Can't wait to see the results Si

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 18-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

Glad you're sticking with it and particularly pleased to see this shell is going to be used and hopefully finished.

It was a shame Tom never got to finish it, given how far he got it and, as you say, how good he has the shell looking.

Best of luck with it.

I'm sure CJ will be able to offer plenty of tips on reshelling a bug into a classic!
Old 18-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Gold Member

Swing by mine if its on the way back, you can raid my spare parts shed.
Old 18-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Nice one si looking forward to this thread was reading all about it on Surrey scoobies if you are needing trim clips I'm you're man lol .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 18-04-2015, 08:21 PM

cheers everyone, Morster, i think CJ and I might pop up your place tomorrow if you are about, i hope it's a big parts bin.
Old 18-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

good luck
Old 18-04-2015, 09:36 PM

This is a brilliant plan Si I am really looking forward to seeing this project progress, and lending a hand too will be upto see you soon

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 18-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Good luck with the project Si - some things just seem that they're meant to be. I look forward to seeing progress and the finished article. Although they're never really finished from my experience - there's always something else, which is part of the fun
Old 19-04-2015, 08:01 AM

Thanks everyone, not much done yet, but didn't have much time yesterday. Bucket seat in and tested, though will need to come out again as work commences, and different set of wheels on, as I juggle parts around.

At moment I am planning the running gear swap, hopefully should have that in over the bank holiday, weather permitting.

There are a few things on the car I am looking at changing slightly. Rear arches haven't been cut out enough, so in with the cutter and welder. To also keep things simple for now, I'm going to loose the "ground effects" on the back and just put a normal bumper on.

Some new rear lights to be sources (Jdm sti) , also looking at getting rollcage changed slightly so that we have front suspension turret pick up points, this will give front end more strength.
Then to figure out how to fix the newage dash in with electrics etc. I have a Newage spec c rack to go in, so probably put newage column in.

Trying to decide loom wise what to do. Cheapist would be to use wagon loom. But am thinking of making custom loom and ditching ecu for a syvecs, this allows things to be a lot simpler moving forwards.

While slightly daunted at size of project, I am really looking forward to get the mechanical parts over and moving on to the interior parts.
Old 19-04-2015, 08:06 AM

Well from all that I reckon I could have bought the shell......................and that's about the limit of my skills!!!! Ha ha ha

Looks like u have a lot to do but sure you and Jo will get stuck in and it will be interesting to keep an eye on this post

Best of luck mate...

&
Old 19-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Some pics from yesterday:

So off to its new home, the car went as fast as it is probably going to for a few months, on the back of the trailer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then after my few bits done yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 19-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Lol won't be long then ��
Old 19-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Looking good

&
Old 19-04-2015, 08:48 AM

Looks exciting, and totally mad! Should be one hell of a project. You have plenty of time to get it ready for Germany... 😉
Old 19-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Nice of James to colour coordinate for the occasion.

Did Math have his wagon there? It's a kindred spirit with the look of your new acquisition!
Old 19-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Looking good mate, lots to do but plenty of time and sure you'll get there
Old 19-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Old 19-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Well not much to update today, more a planning day for me. Thanks. To CJ and Morster though for hooking me up with some parts. Got another rear bumper to put on. And door lock catch as one door is missing it, I thought I had internal handle as well, but when I got home discovered I hadn't, doh. Also some trim for door area.

Thanks guys.
Old 19-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

if you need an extra pair of hands one day Si let me know.
Old 19-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
if you need an extra pair of hands one day Si let me know.

+1

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 19-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Will get the spare doors and side repeaters down as fast as I can Simon
Old 19-04-2015, 10:23 PM

Cheers James, no rush.
Old 19-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Great news Si and looking good.
But please tell me your going to make those arches look part of the car instead of bolt on's (just my opinion on em')
Old 19-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_Si View Post
Well not much to update today, more a planning day for me. Thanks. To CJ and Morster though for hooking me up with some parts. Got another rear bumper to put on. And door lock catch as one door is missing it, I thought I had internal handle as well, but when I got home discovered I hadn't, doh. Also some trim for door area.

Thanks guys.
What side you need Si as I've got spare door trim for pre face lift and also a spare set of crystal side indicators too .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI

Last edited by scotty; 19-04-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 20-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Im useless when it comes to mechanicals - but am always willing to come down and give a hand mopping and polishing once you get to that stage e.t.c.

&
Old 20-04-2015, 08:32 AM

Silversurfer - I know what you mean and I do need to do some work on them, I probably won't blend them in though as this a track not a polish and show, so priorities are slightly different.

Scotty - I may get back to you on that, I need to take an inventory of what I do and don't have. Not being familiar with classics, these maybe a little trickier.

Rdlangy1 - those skills would be most welcome at some point.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_Si View Post
Silversurfer - I know what you mean and I do need to do some work on them, I probably won't blend them in though as this a track not a polish and show, so priorities are slightly different.

Scotty - I may get back to you on that, I need to take an inventory of what I do and don't have. Not being familiar with classics, these maybe a little trickier.

Rdlangy1 - those skills would be most welcome at some point.
No worries si I will put some pics up of what I have got as won't be needing them once my bits come back .

Old 20-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Again Si, another +1 for any help you might need in the future from me. Got my weekends back proper now my football season has finished.
Old 20-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Project: 555

Si these are the parts I have got spare which I don't need so you are more than welcome to have them the bits on the doors are fitted to my type r at the moment until my bits come back and I only have a drivers inner door handle spare at the moment .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429553264.109108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429553275.754289.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429553291.272719.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429553301.140589.jpg

Last edited by scotty; 20-04-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 21-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Cheers Scotty, I actually need the rubber trim that I guess goes on,inside and outside where the glass goes between, I think I know where to get some of it. Also a drivers inside door handle and connecting rods.

Inside door panels are going to be carbon fibre.

More planning today (as at work), going for custom loom and road legal race digital dash. CJ has a very economical one that seems to tick all the boxes, but I can't help keep looking at the SPA dashes, some dashes are about £2500, so the wallet is helping my decisions.
Need to call Nickson Motorsport to discuss possible mods to roll cage.

Meanwhile found a spare few minutes last night to try up gutter trim and door surround rubbers, I need to find a supplier of the clips that hold these on unless I can rescue some from the bug donor car.

Next thing on my mind is will a sti. 5 or 6 rear spoiler painted orange look ok on this, I want to have the option to swap boot lids depending if using on track or road. I am keen to use orange as an external highlighting colour to make the car more visible , especially on track, as quite often track cars have very poor visibility to start with.
Old 21-04-2015, 09:00 AM

loving the idea of the orange highlighting the black - it certainly will stand out and be easily seen

&
Old 21-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Cool si the picture of the lock is the drivers side complete with all the connecting rods that you need and a drivers door handle to match .

Old 21-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Are the rods the same length on the 2 and 4 doors, I know the doors are a lot longer on the 2 door, guess if the door handle is located the same distance from the edge of the door they will be ok. As for clips, I noticed my Jayar car parts had a rack on the counter of all different types of trim clips, not sure if they do the ones for holding the rubbers on though.

Shout if I can be of help at all Si, usually free friday afternoons and can drop in on the way back from work.
Old 21-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Are the rods the same length on the 2 and 4 doors, I know the doors are a lot longer on the 2 door, guess if the door handle is located the same distance from the edge of the door they will be ok. As for clips, I noticed my Jayar car parts had a rack on the counter of all different types of trim clips, not sure if they do the ones for holding the rubbers on though.

Shout if I can be of help at all Si, usually free friday afternoons and can drop in on the way back from work.
Shane that is an interesting one about the rods might be different lengths but we can find out if someone measures the one on the four door .

Old 21-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

I'll pick the bits up that are needed today as over aldershot way
Old 21-04-2015, 10:53 AM

Cheers CJ.
Old 21-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Didn't know about the Goodwood incident, unlucky.

However I've seen this car passing between owners on Surrey over the years and hoped it would one day get finished, so every cloud and all that! Will be following the build thread with interest.
Old 21-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Next time jo is auditing you I'll get her to bring it lol.
Old 21-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

Looks like you are doing a fantastic job with your car!!, Good luck to the end!! x
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Well the hard work begins today.

My old wagon has been stripped of most interior parts so far, just dash and loom to come out. But today is the mechanical swap, engine, gearbox etc over to the 555.

Thanks to CJ for lending me hoist etc, I do have one but not as easy to get hold of today, also my newly acquired Jeep has been lending a hand transporting stuff and also useful as temporary shed for parts while stripping. Ough I need to put a new radiator in it sometime today as well, going to be a busy one!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Hope it stays dry for the weekend mate. Shout if you want a hand for a few hours at some point
Old 02-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

Best of luck with it.

Look forward to seeing the progress.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Hope you find a few minutes during this mad build to take some progress pics!