South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 17-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Can I still justify 2 cars?

As it's a bit quiet on here as nothing is happening just thought I'd start a bit of a discussion.

As most of you know I and a few others amongst us run 2 cars, the daily hack for eating up the commuting miles and family jobs and a Scoob or other toy sat in the garage for weekends and a bit of fun. Since 2012 I've been averaging about 18000 a year in the daily car and about 2000 a year in the Scoob last year the Scoob clocked up a grand total of 696 miles between MOTs, 180 of that was a couple of trips to work and back just to use it, since its MOT in March the Passat has done less than 3000 miles, the DPF has done a couple of re-gens (only noticed one in the previous 70000 miles), the battery has started to struggle due to so many short journeys and it sometimes doesn't move all week, looks like the long term view is that I'll never be back in the office full time and the company are beginning to fund desks, chairs etc for home use.

Question is, do I combine the 2 cars and get something that's a bit more fun as a daily driver as it no longer has to achieve 50mpg with armchair comfort and ride? My biggest issue will be missing an estate car, it's so easy throwing a mountain bike or fishing gear in the back or those trips to IKEA for huge bits of furniture. Obviously in an ideal world I'd buy an RS6 estate or even a Golf R estate but I could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on a car even if I had it and I'd be worried to leave it anywhere or have it sat outside the house.
Old 17-10-2020, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

Could you live without a Scooby? Certainly in the current situation I'am using mine less,but when I do go out in it,it's so much fun. Out of interest, what type of fishing are you in to? I'am a very keen fly fisherman.
Old 17-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

I went back to my sea fishing during lock down, I stopped when I was made redundant in 2012 as I went from a 5 minute commute to a 90 minute commute and I just didn't have the time I used to.
Not sure if you're able to get BBC iplayer in France but you need to watch Paul Whitehouse and Bob Mortimer with their "Gone Fishing" series, brilliant viewing even if you're not a fan of fishing.
Old 17-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

If I had to have one car at the moment I’d just keep the legacy,comfortable fast enough on our roads and now handles better and stops better,being a twinscroll it’s not as juicy as the older scoobies I’ve had. Wouldn’t be without the all wheel drive .i can get everything I need in it don’t worry about the weather and puts a smile on my face.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:58 PM
Bronze Member

I think it is a sad day when you realise that people just don't use there scoobie to keep the miles down for the next owner or can't afford to use them. Cars should be used not just kept in a garage, I just don't understand it.
Old 18-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Go multi car. If you drive somthing on a daily basis it becomes a normal thing. I bet you still have a buzz when you drive the scoob when you get it out at the weekend which you would not if you were to run it daily. When I take the golf out it never fails to entertain even my little EP3 type R - some cars a just fun, some just functional. If the funds permit do both. Legacy is a good shout if you need to do all in one. I ran one a number of years ago and really was very good indeed.
Old 18-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

We have Sky here so are able to watch Mortimer and Whitehouse "Gone Fishing", one of my favourite programmes, not just for the fishing,but the scenery and humour. I also agree with the above,Scooby is not used everyday so get a real buzz when I use it.
Old 18-10-2020, 06:50 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

The very reason my Bugeye went, was averaging 500miles a year for the last 3 years I had it!
The Legacy is a bit of both - tweaked enough to be a bit different and on the road almost as much fun as the Impreza was as I can use 70% of the power rather than about 30!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Hatch STi for weekend fun and then the X3 for fishing

I find it easier to have a car you don’t car about as much for shopping and leaving while fishing,
If I took the Scoob I’d be worried about where I parked it all the time and the reason I didn’t go for a more expensive
single car

Last edited by Anger; 18-10-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 18-10-2020, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Another fisherman, what type of fishing are you into?.
Old 18-10-2020, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't want to miss the size of the estate you could always get a 2.0 turbo forester for less than 2k as a daily run around .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 19-10-2020, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Another fisherman, what type of fishing are you into?.
I do everything, all rounder from sea to freshwater
Old 27-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

I can't justify having the Scoob either. It does a few hundred miles a year while we use my wife's Merc. Since the mother-in-law died earlier this year even the Merc isn't getting much use as we don't have to go up to Gloucester as often.
I guess I have to admit I don't enjoy driving the Scoob as much as I once did - the Merc has spoiled me with a bit of comfort!
I would be up for combining the two but I have no idea what would be the best car to do that.