South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 14-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Regular User

Default Quick Fix.....Maidstone/Kent

Good afternoon all,

It has been a while since I posted on here.

Long story short, my spares/repairs donor car needs an MoT ASAP so I can enjoy the snow that is due to arrive in the next week or so.

I bought it earlier this year for parts to fix my original WRX that had a fight with a roundabout/lamppost and lost! However, since then, I've decided that I am not happy trying to fix the original for road use (may keep it for track, or just give it to someone (minus engine & g/box) as a project). It had an MoT when I drove it 4 hours home, and I did so VERY slowly with earplugs in. It has a 'pop-pop-bang' map on it, which I want off and think that's a SlowBoy Racing job. There does appear to be something wrong with the engine, not sure if it related to the map, but it smells like it's overfueling, and will 'smoke' when idle. Checking the water for signs of head gasket issue, the water is dirty but doesn't seem oily, but does lose volume overtime. Apparently has STI injectors and Greddy clutch, but definitely has a straight-through exhaust (hence the earplugs). So, I want to try and get this one legal, but there are a few sticky points as mentioned above. As a side note, I'm curious how drivers with a LOUD exhaust get an MoT, without swapping them over etc. I've been advised of a 'friendly' MoT test station, but I want to make sure everything else is OK before I present it. There were some silly things on the fail, such as bulbs, but the more important ones are;

1 - Front brakes imbalanced
2 - Catalytic Converter missing
3 - Engine MIL indicates a malfunction
4 - Exhaust noise in excess

I've emailed http://www.bentensautocare.co.uk/ but not had a response yet, so I was looking for some advice/recommendations on how I can get this legal enough to drive and enjoy.

Long term plans are for an overhaul, but time/space/finance are an issue, especially with the prospect of COVID and lockdowns closing my brewery business.

Thanks in advance
Old 14-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Regular User

Hey mate ,
I think the simple answer is that your car cannot legally pass an MOT without any cats. However as we all know there are thousands of modded cars driving on UK roads with "MOTs". I wish you all the best with the project.

Also if your up for a drive round chatham's A roads one of the nights send me a private message as I regularly go out once a week. Depending on the MOT situation of course.
Old 14-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Regular User

Hi Kas,

Thanks for the response.

I don't mind too much swapping things over afterwards etc, as long as everything else is spot on. Not longer to lose car, or license etc

Could well be up for that at some point, would be nice to get out and have some fun.

Snow is one reason why I am keen to get back on the road ASAP, but I've also started to spot a black scooby close to my work, with a lady driver and some funny stickers on the back......really can't give a nod or a hoot while in a Vivaro.......
Old 15-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeEmpire View Post
Hi Kas,

Thanks for the response.

I don't mind too much swapping things over afterwards etc, as long as everything else is spot on. Not longer to lose car, or license etc

Could well be up for that at some point, would be nice to get out and have some fun.

Snow is one reason why I am keen to get back on the road ASAP, but I've also started to spot a black scooby close to my work, with a lady driver and some funny stickers on the back......really can't give a nod or a hoot while in a Vivaro.......
Ah yes the elusive female scooby driver lol

Also what year is your WRX? I have heard Neil's bang maps before and they are like a grenade going off haha
Would love to have a similar map on my WRX but being a 1993 I would need an ESL board first to be able to remap.