South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 21-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Default Oil leak

Changed oil and filter about a week ago, and now have a small leak from filter area. Car is a jdm bug sti which I think has a "remote" oil filter set up as standard? When I went to put the new filter on I noticed that the central threaded stud that the filter screws on to was loose, I tightened it up with a deep socket as I was sure it should not have been loose. Is there an "o" ring or seal that could be leaking above the filter itself? Q. Do I have to drain all the oil from the sump before removing the oil filter to investigate? thanks in advance for any help. Paul.
Old 21-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

you should not have to drain but i will loose about a litre or so.
do you know where the leak is coming from. is it just the filter seal ?
Old 22-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
you should not have to drain but i will loose about a litre or so.
do you know where the leak is coming from. is it just the filter seal ?
Thanks for info about draining oil, I have re-tightened oil filter the oil appears to be coming from above the filter not around the seal.
Old 22-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

maybe it is running a modine style oil cooler which fits like a sandwich plate between your filter and its usual mounting point.
you mention the thread was loose so could be it needs tightening or the seal at the top is damaged.
Old 22-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
maybe it is running a modine style oil cooler which fits like a sandwich plate between your filter and its usual mounting point.
you mention the thread was loose so could be it needs tightening or the seal at the top is damaged.
That was my guess, there is some sort of sandwich plate above the filter. I did tighten the central threaded part up but if it leaked from there it would only drip inside the oil filter itself? Think it best to remove it and check that the seal/"o" ring between the engine and sandwich plate is not damaged.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Think my car has one of these fitted.
Old 22-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Hi Paul, that's a modine which the oil goes through before entering the oil filter. It's bolted to the engine case. Would say it would drip oil with the filter off.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife2 View Post
Hi Paul, that's a modine which the oil goes through before entering the oil filter. It's bolted to the engine case. Would say it would drip oil with the filter off.
No mate, very small leak with filter on. I have been under it today and it appears to be coming from above the oil filter where the modine meets the engine case, think it may have been leaking before I changed the oil. Was going to take it off today but would have to take the water pipes off and probably drain the water out of the system, there is no room to get to pipes and I did not have a new "o"ring to use if it was damaged, think it could be a job for a real mechanic.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Authorised Trader

carry modine seals if required.........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 23-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

what does that modine do? I think my car has one too. I thought they were something to do with oil coolers and then thought I must be wrong as my car doesnt have an oil cooler rad fitted and i've never traced the 2 pipes off the side to find out where they go.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
what does that modine do? I think my car has one too. I thought they were something to do with oil coolers and then thought I must be wrong as my car doesnt have an oil cooler rad fitted and i've never traced the 2 pipes off the side to find out where they go.
The two pipes carry water to cool the oil in the modine I think, doesn't look an easy job to do unless you have a proper ramp etc.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Authorised Trader

its a heat exchanger, pretty much all Subaru Turbo's have them fitted........

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 23-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

classic RAs dont have them
Old 23-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Classic ra do have a modine
Old 23-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Bronze Member

mine hasnt. still runs well
Old 23-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Authorised Trader

RA's most certainly did have them, potentially yours has been removed due to an issue or possible engine swap??

online shop!!