South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics > Car DIY walk throughs

Old 25-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default DIY - Hawkeye Headlight Modification

This is a modification I identified as a must have even before I bought the Hawkeye STI. It has taken since March to do the research, find the time and make sure my wife was out so I could use the oven

Alot of stories about it being much harder then the Blobeye modification, that you have to take the bumper of and the headlights are very expensive if you break them......but I thought in Top Gear style 'How Hard Can It Be' !!!!!!

Before Modification :

1. Mask up around edge of headlight and around edges of centre and left/right grills. These need to come out to gain access to the headlight mounting bolts.

2. Remove large trim clips from top edge of bumper, along slam panel.

3. Remove small trim clips holding grills in place, and 1 small trim clip on each top edge of headlight.

4. Remove centre grill by placing hand down behind and releasing 4 plastic clips, 2 easg side.

5. Remove left and right hand grills in a similar fashion. They are a bit of a fiddle but they will come out and you will realise why masking the bumper is a good idea.

6. Remove the single M6 bolt from the top of the headlight where it bolts to the slam panel.

7. Remove the 2 M6 bolts, 2 M6 nuts and 1 trim clip that hold the headlight in place that are located behind the grill you have just removed.

8. Now comes the removal of the light. Give it a wiggle and a tug on the outer/wing edge. It should partly pop out (If anyone has removed the sidelight on a classic they will be familiar with the pin/clip that hold it into the wing retainer). Tilt the light forward and try to get it under the slam panel as far as possible, making sure the mounting bracket that was un-bolted previously draws of it's mounting bolts . The light will not fully come out like this, but once it is as far as possible place your hand behind the light and lift up, you should now be able to see between the bottom of the light and the bumper to see what's stopping it coming forward. Basically nothing is stopping at apart from the base of the light just touching the top edge of the appature/bumper lip. A twist and a shove from behind should pop it out, all the time making sure the mounting bracket hasn't managed to slip back onto it's mount bolts.

9. At this stage it will be partly out bar from the loom connector. Disconnect these and your done. Steps 1 - 9 above took me approx 30 mins, alot quicker then i thought it would take.

10. Repeat the above for the other light. I managed to get this one out alot quicker after learning on the other side.

Looks quite cool don't it

11. Retire to the comfort of the kitchen breakfast bar

12. Remove the 5 self-tapping screws from the rear of the light.

13. I also removed the Ballast resistor that's screwed to the bottom of the housing, as didn't want to risk damaging that in the oven. Remove the 3 screws holding this in place and disonnect the cable harness from it.

14. Set oven to 100 DegC and timer to 10 mins, place light in oven on baking tray.

Yes I know the oven door needs cleaning, but that's not my department.......

15. Remove after 10 minutes and leaver open the headlight with a large flat blade screwdriver, it comes apart wuite easy. I started at the bottom incase the screwdriver damaged/marked the plastics. It did make small marks but by the time you work round to the top edge which will be visible when re-fitted, it comes off easier and hence doesn't mark the plastic. Once it is loose and you have a gap one end it can be pulled apart by hand. Cut or catch the excess sealant as you go.

16. You now have 2 halves.

17. Put rear section to one side after tapping the stringy/excess sealant roughly back in place. Do the same with the front lense.

18. Remove the self-tapper screws that hold the refelctor in place on the front lense. Then remove the reflector

19. I then masked a ring around the HID apature to maintain a chrome ring. Some people spray the whole reflector black, other spray a coloured rings around the HID. But I decide to stick with chrome.

20. Spray reflector with colour of your choice. I used Satin Black Plasti-kote.

21. Remove masked HID ring and ready for re-fitting

22. Refit refelctor into lense.

23. To soften the sealant prior to refitting I placed both halves back in the over for 5 mins at 100DegC.

24. Remove from oven and while still hot quickly push two halves together and screw back in place.

25. Refit ballast resistor......job done in about 30 mins including paint (dried with hair drier)

Compared lights :

26. Repeat for other side.

Took approx 2 hours to remove dismantle, paint and re-assemble both lights. At the moment they are not back in the car as waiting for 2 silvertec indicator bulbs and some high power LED side lights to arrive (these are a bitch to change with the headlight fitted, so will leave until hopefully tomorrow).

Will post finished article ASAP.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Looking GOOOOOOOOOOOD
Old 25-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Excellent write up as always Scott
Old 26-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

nice 1 silversurfer now do you want 2 do mine
Old 26-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Nige

They look much better now more like an Evo MR style.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

That looks much better, looking forward to seeing them back on the car
Old 26-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Hear hear!
Old 26-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

looking good scott, good write up
Old 26-11-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Cheers for the comments guy's.
I'm looking forward to getting them back in too but postie didn't turn up with the Silver indicator bulbs, so they will have to wait.

I did consider putting them back in and doing the bulbs later, but when you see what's involved just to change an indicator bulb, the headlights can stay out and will do it all together in the week.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Well at least having done yours,

will make it easier when you come to do Niges.
Old 27-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Well at least having done yours,

will make it easier when you come to do Niges.
Now you have spoiled my suprise
Old 27-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Great right up Scott

Just to add... If people are a little scared of putting there lights in the oven, a heat gun or even a hairdryer will heat them enough to seperate
Old 28-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Bronze Member

Great job and very tempting despite my total lack of DIY ability or success in the past. Looking forward to seeing the finished results when back on the car.
Old 28-11-2011, 10:04 PM

All back in the car, fitting back was easier then taking out, although highly recommend the use of plenty of masking tape to protect the surrounding area's.

And another little mod whils I was there....
Been trying to De-Pink the front end and failed a few times with re-painting the STI badge to my satisfation (quite tricky due to the bi-colour embossed badge).
Decided to by an aftermarket Red badge.

Found by pure fluke that the one I ordered had the 'Red' bits stuck to the 'Black' bit. A sharp blade and some cotton managed to seperate the 2.

Re-Paint the 'Red' bits

Re-Fit, while Grill was off the car
Old 28-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Liking the grill badge
Old 28-11-2011, 10:42 PM

I'm liking the headlamps and the grill badge

Be good to see it in daylight, bet it looks evil
Old 28-11-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Be good to see it in daylight, bet it looks evil
Me too, but battery is flat so going nowhere, and am now partly deaf due to a battery backed car alarm going off several times while I was re-fitting the lights.
Old 28-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

very nice silversufer,like grill badge too
Old 29-11-2011, 11:28 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Nice one Scott. Headlights look much better. Like you, I have tried to respray the grill badge a few times, but it never looks any good when its dry. I even sprayed the whole lot black in the end for a stealthy look, but still it wasnt great so left it off now.

Good work mate.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:59 PM

A few more pic's out in daylight.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Authorised Trader

very nice, as it should have been

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
very nice, as it should have been
Cheers Alyn......
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Great job there, much better
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
Great right up Scott

Just to add... If people are a little scared of putting there lights in the oven, a heat gun or even a hairdryer will heat them enough to seperate

Just to add... If people are a little scared of putting there lights in the oven, a heat gun or even a hairdryer will heat them enough to seperate[/QUOTE]

I used the hair dryer to focus the heat on the seem cause I got to scared when in the oven :s when detangoing mine.
Just wished I thought of spraying them when apart.

Anyways looking very nice, quality write up
Old 26-07-2015, 11:49 PM

Have you had any issue with condensation or water ingress since? I'm only put off doing this as I would worry the seal won't be perfect ? Can you use any additional sealant?
Old 26-07-2015, 11:50 PM

Oh forgot to say it looks way cool����