South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 15-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Tyre pressures

Hi guys just done brands this eve and car was good fun but loads of under steer , thinking it was tyre pressures as fine at the ring last weekend ,
What sort of pressures should I run in road going toyo's (17in) I had 28
Cheers benj
Old 16-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I run 32 I think but that's when hot.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 16-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Never easy to know what pressures are as they go up a lot when they get hot. I normally start around 28 psi and then adjust them by letting a bit of air out after a session (if i remember/can be bothered )
Old 16-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Imo 28 is far to low for road, Let alone track. The odd trackday ive done ovd always inflatedy tyres to 40psi. Never had a problem
Old 16-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano17439 View Post
Imo 28 is far to low for road, Let alone track. The odd trackday ive done ovd always inflatedy tyres to 40psi. Never had a problem

No way, you could be up at 50 psi after a few fast laps gets heat in the tyres. You shouldn't be running pressures anywhere near that high on track.

Generally I'd try and stay under 35psi when hot.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

40 is to high,
I thought 28 with the increase of heat would take them to around 30/32, my theory any way.
just had very bad fwd grip at brands last night. so is either me, or tyres
Old 16-09-2014, 08:33 PM

I start with 25 in the bug but that's with 888's after a couple of laps on track they are at 32psi.. bang on where you want them, it depends how hard you drive/what tyres you use.. and how "slippy" you want the tyres to feel, but the only real way to tell is by trial and error..

So best bet is to do a couple of laps then come in and measure as quickly as you can.. after a few moments the measurements will be off as your front brakes will radiate large amounts of heat into the front wheels (presuming you drive it reasonably fast) possibly inflating them a couple of PSI further than the pressure they reach while driving.. (no air to cool it all down!)

It's all about trial and error really.

If we are talking about your Civic, I'm not that familiar with what the pressures should be on that beasty, but basically aim for road pressure when fully hot. as others have said.
I would even try 24/25 in the fronts at Brands and maybe 26 in the rears.. Ask some of the guys on the TypeR forum?

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 16-09-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 16-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Cheers buddy,
I will try again, with different settings, using new t1rs,
On civic btw , thing loves track Time lol,
One car I see a lot on track is the Clio 197 cup,
Type r forum gets me no where, and you guys love track time that's why would allways ask here 1st no matter what car I'd be using this month lol,
Think may try see if funds are in for a another set of stock wheels and some decent rubber,

Any you boys used this nankang Ns2r semi slicks?
There coming in at £380 a set but I know cheap can mean pants some times
Old 16-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
I start with 25 in the bug but that's with 888's after a couple of laps on track they are at 32psi.. bang on where you want them, it depends how hard you drive/what tyres you use.. and how "slippy" you want the tyres to feel, but the only real way to tell is by trial and error..

So best bet is to do a couple of laps then come in and measure as quickly as you can.. after a few moments the measurements will be off as your front brakes will radiate large amounts of heat into the front wheels (presuming you drive it reasonably fast) possibly inflating them a couple of PSI further than the pressure they reach while driving.. (no air to cool it all down!)

It's all about trial and error really.

If we are talking about your Civic, I'm not that familiar with what the pressures should be on that beasty, but basically aim for road pressure when fully hot. as others have said.
I would even try 24/25 in the fronts at Brands and maybe 26 in the rears.. Ask some of the guys on the TypeR forum?
Spot on for road tyres
I normally start at 22 with rally Tarmac tyres
Old 16-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post
Cheers buddy,
I will try again, with different settings, using new t1rs,
On civic btw , thing loves track Time lol,
One car I see a lot on track is the Clio 197 cup,
Type r forum gets me no where, and you guys love track time that's why would allways ask here 1st no matter what car I'd be using this month lol,
Think may try see if funds are in for a another set of stock wheels and some decent rubber,

Any you boys used this nankang Ns2r semi slicks?
There coming in at £380 a set but I know cheap can mean pants some times
I know that Budgie uses the Nankang NS2R 120s on his trackcar, I asked him about them a while back and he said he can't tell the difference between them and 888s. They have to be better than a road tyre in the dry. I might try a set next time I replace the track ones they are half the price of my current 888s at £440 for 4 instead of £840! and they are almost as soft (120 wear rate instead of 100 on the 888s).

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 16-09-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 16-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

If I remember I might give them a kick before I go out.......
If I haven't I do notice my lap times are down so I just kick em' when I get back in the paddock ready for the next session.
Old 17-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
If I remember I might give them a kick before I go out.......
If I haven't I do notice my lap times are down so I just kick em' when I get back in the paddock ready for the next session.
lol
Old 17-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

I run with 36psi up front and 31 or 32 on the rear (still haven't decided what's best on the back yet.
Anything less and both the inner and outer edge of the front tyres seen to wear more than the centre. And yes I get the tracking checked so it's not that. Handling seems better at 36psi up front too than any lower. I seem to get more understeer if the front is lower than 36psi.