South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > News, Info, Rules and introductions > New Members (first thread here please)

New Members (first thread here please) New members introduce yourself to our existing members here.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Hi. Just joined, some questions.....

Hi All,

I will be totally honest, I am a bit of a honda fanboy and am in the process of trying to source a Honda Integra Type R (DC5). I drove one the other day and it did not quite live up to my expectations, it may have been the example I drove that was at fault, so I have not given up on the idea as such.

However, the other day it occurred to me I had never really considered a Subaru Impreza STI. I drove a 2002 WRX once, I test drove an Accord Type R the same day and in my opinion the Accord was far superior in every way so I bought one of those and never looked back.

The STI appeals to me as it is in a different league performance wise.

One of my main questions for you guys is that, is a 10-15 year old STI going to be a reliable car? I will be using it as a daily, but have access to my girlfriends car for days where I don't fancy taking it to work. I reckon I will do 8-10k miles a year.

I don't know much about Impreza's really so any advice would be welcome. My budget is around £9.5k.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 09:22 AM

I would say for that budget you will be able to source a nice STi in the age bracket you are looking for.

The important thing would be knowing as much of the history as possible as with a car 10-15yrs old - it will probably have seen a few owners so checking cam belts being done, regular oil changes, things like that will help.

10yrs old car will give you an STi Blobeye - any older and you will be looking at a Bugeye

See which you prefer the look of, and hope to see you in a scoob soon

Ryan

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 View Post
I would say for that budget you will be able to source a nice STi in the age bracket you are looking for.

The important thing would be knowing as much of the history as possible as with a car 10-15yrs old - it will probably have seen a few owners so checking cam belts being done, regular oil changes, things like that will help.

10yrs old car will give you an STi Blobeye - any older and you will be looking at a Bugeye k
I believe STI Blobs were introduced in 2003.

Welcome to SES Nails.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
I believe STI Blobs were introduced in 2003.

Welcome to SES Nails.
Correct as always Ian

&
Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Having had a quick read at some of the threads on here, it seems that people tend to use these cars as weekend toys. Is that because the running costs are really bad? Or because they are not reliable as a daily?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quite a few use as daily runners... they aren't as cheap as a mondeo or focus no- but reliable if looked after

&
Old 08-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys. Having had a quick read at some of the threads on here, it seems that people tend to use these cars as weekend toys. Is that because the running costs are really bad? Or because they are not reliable as a daily?
I used mine as a daily for three years and, aside from a duff battery, it never missed a beat...

...the reason I retired it from daily use was primarily because I was racking up the mileage up on it just sitting in traffic. If you have a more fun commute I did, then everyday use might be more worthwhile.

They are expensive to run (my Impreza replaced a Civic and it was more than that), especially if you have a heavy right foot. I wouldn't say it's excessive though and, for the smile it will put on your face, it's a cost worth paying! As has been said, as long as it is well serviced (and sensibly modified) you shouldn't have any more worry than any other second hand car.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Any feedback on these 2 examples?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...--2005/6852526

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...scroll/5984572
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 AM

JDM one for my liking

&
Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Both look good, clean, unmolested examples, the JDM one has a silicone inlet hose which may indicate that it's had further work carried out in Japan but difficult to tell.

Don't know much about Hurst Cars, think they charge top rates. Personally I'd be looking at that rather nice grey V5 Sti.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Hello and welcome go with newage JDM twin scroll if you can stretch you budget for a good one .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 08-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

The JDM car in your link also has a full set of STI Genome Defi guages and controller. Pretty rare and worth £500-600 easily as a set if sold.... if that helps justify the extra cash
Old 08-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Have a 2003 jdm if you wanted a look over one to compare against uk sti plus will probably be going up for sale after trip to the ring and welcome to ses

Old 08-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Hi and welcome to ses

Definitely buy Bigemp's car if he sells!! All his cars have been well looked after.
One of these days Dave you'll keep one lol
Old 08-05-2017, 03:03 PM

to SES Nails, and good luck with the search!

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSTI View Post
Hi and welcome to ses

Definitely buy Bigemp's car if he sells!! All his cars have been well looked after.
One of these days Dave you'll keep one lol

Ha ha cheers Sam,time for a change....maybe!!!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
Ha ha cheers Sam,time for a change....maybe!!!
hahaha man after my own heart.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Welcome
I've heard good things about hurst cars . Know nothing really about the new age cars my love is for the classic
Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Howdy do and welcome. If I was to change my current scoob for another I would go jdm

Hurst cars seem to have good cars, lots of posts on *coobynet about them ,positive and negative. They had a nice ra-r on reasonable mileage not so long ago but it was at the top end I was very tempted to go and view and the research I did on them they seemed ok imo.

You don't fancy a new civic type r then, I just read the review on PH ,you could use your budget for the deposit and stop eating to pay for the monthly payments

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the next stage is for me to drive one to see if like them enough to buy one. It sounds like the UK cars will be more within my budget, the JDM cars seem to be a couple of grand more at least.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
hahaha man after my own heart.
Cant keep up with you though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil97rs View Post
Welcome
I've heard good things about hurst cars . Know nothing really about the new age cars my love is for the classic
Had some nice cars when i went too look just dont ask to take one out for a test drive if its raining lol
Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Bronze Member

11k to me is quite steep for an early jdm blob but jdm would be my preference as long as you don't want the usual flat 4 burble
Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Btw i know of a rare blue/black sti prodrive bug going forsale at 6k and just been mapped by Andy Forrest in march this year .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI