South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

Default Wrx vs STi

I know this has probably been mentioned a lot, but I'm just looking for a bit more info rather than the STi is quicker and has 6 speed rather than 5.

I've only ever owned wrx Hawkeyes. Now these have nothing in the way of electrical assistance. What are people's thoughts on the electrical bits? I've put most STi features in my wrx with regards to power. Would I notice much of a difference with an STi? Currently running around 350bhp.

When it comes to STi's, what are people's opinions on the 03-05 range compared to the Hawkeye? What's the 2.0 engine like to live with compared to the 2.5? Keep in mind touch wood I've never had any of the problems with a 2.5 because it's always properly looked after.

Was thinking of trying to take some for test drives but everything that looks a good model is over a half hour away from me. May have to give up a day and go see what I think but interested in others opinions.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

What are you referring to by electrical assistance? Apart from DCCD on the STi there's not much difference on the electrical front on the newages? I think the clocks have a shift beeper and the WRX's don't.... or are you thinking about the newer stuff that came in with the hatches like SI-Drive etc?

Differences.... there's a lot to be fair. Styling is different on each shape, engine/gearbox different, suspension different, interior different and so on..... Google might be best!

I'd be cautious about saying the 2.5 is fine as long as its looked after - there have been plenty that have failed when they've been looked after at standard power - hopefully you've got a good one! Personally, I'd go for the 2.0 over the 2.5 - it might have less torque but it makes a better car to push on track etc. Its all down to preference and you won't know until you drive one i guess

For me, the blob STI is the best of the breed (from a UK model point of view). 2.0 litre JDM hawkeye would be pretty tasty though
Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

I'd be interested to hear about standard 2.5 engines going wrong if looked after, as other than the bad map issue on the early hatch, it seems to be those played with. They don't appear as strong when pushed.

The poor rep of the 2.5 goes way beyond the reality in my opinion.

That said, I agree with Steve about which Impreza I'd want, although I'd add the R205 to the list!

The 2.0 in my wife's WRX PPP blob Wagon seems a bit more eager low down than my FSTi (with a 2.5), but then the map, turbo and different gearing has a say in that too!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

I mean the newer age ones like the hatches and the new saloons. I was toying with the idea of looking at an rb320 or a 2012ish wrx STi. But I do love my wrx and just interested to see what's the difference in the newer models. Although I do like the fact my wrx is in the old tax band!
Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security_Paul View Post
I mean the newer age ones like the hatches and the new saloons. I was toying with the idea of looking at an rb320 or a 2012ish wrx STi. But I do love my wrx and just interested to see what's the difference in the newer models. Although I do like the fact my wrx is in the old tax band!
Have a look at Don1952's car on Surrey Scoobies. That'll convince you that a WRX STi sedan is a worthwhile purchase.
Old 14-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

What are the problems to look out for with the 2.5?
Old 16-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Bronze Member

Few more questions on this if someone could help out please...

1) Bar the bigger turbo, what else is different from a hawk sti compared to a wrx?

2) With my wrx, the clutch is probably the heaviest I have ever had. The gears also seem quite far apart. What the STi's 6 speed like compared to this?

3) Is it worth trying it to look at putting a 6 speed in my wrx or just getting an STi? Bare in mind my wrx is already running around 350bhp.
Old 16-04-2015, 03:13 PM

You are nearing the limit of the 5 speed at 350bhp. If you are running 350 you must have something like a vf35 or vf43 turbo and pink injectors.

Sti has 550cc/565cc pink or blue injectors which are larger than wrx ones.

Sti will have alloy lower front suspension arms, not sure if hawk wrx has these, suspension will be different, exhaust parts might be different, interior, gearbox, clutch and starter motor all different, engine internals are different.

Cheaper to just but Sti.

The six speed box is a lot heavier than five speed, but is also a lot stronger.
Old 16-04-2015, 05:06 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

As covered above, you will not economically turn a WRX into an STI.

On the hawks the engine internals are different (supposed to be stronger!), different turbo, injectors, map, exhaust, suspension, wheels, brakes, gearbox (very close ratio box and really nice/acurate to use), DCCD, dials (they are backlit LED and sweep on start up), seats, body styling including spoiler, front winglets, side mouldings and so it goes on. And of course when you come to sell, an STI is an STI and an STI'd WRX is still a WRX on the log book at least, so the values differ. A complete false economy imo.

That said, your 350bhp WRX must make for a very nice quick road car.

I went from a 2004 WRX (blob) to a 2006 STI (hawk). Both fantastic cars in different ways, but very different. The blob was easier to live with day to day and the hawk definitely more fun. I was lucky, I had no problems with the 2.5 unit in the 6 years I owned it and for the last couple of years I had it it was mapped to 350bhp with 390ftlbs so was rapid. Sold the hawk in 2012 (shouldn't have ) and since have had a 2005 STI Blob. The 2.0 in the blob felt stronger, was more fun in that all the power arrived in one big hit, but the hawk was definately the quicker point to point car with all that torque.

If I was doing it again now, it would be an RB320 for me, or one of the very last STI's before the hatch. Granted the JDM cars are 'better' but part of Subaru ownership for me is the flat four burble, which the JDM's don't do (though they scream nicely!)

Steve

Last edited by Lucky; 16-04-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 16-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_Si View Post
You are nearing the limit of the 5 speed at 350bhp.
It's a bit "luck of the draw". Bod on Surrey Scoobies had 400bhp through his 5 speed for a long time.

He got to the stage where he was actively seeing if he could break it just to find out what it could put up with. I believe he succeeded in the end!

All that being said, it is true that if you want to build a STi, don't bother if it's about the money. As Lucky has said, you will lose out financially.

I have a 6 speed in my FSTi and Mrs Stig has a 5 speed in her WRX. Both have very similar power levels.

For blatting about I actually prefer the 5 speed. One of my frustrations with the FSTi is you have to change to third before hitting 60mph (or over rev the car!). You don't have to with the WRX.

So, to an extent it may depend on the driving you're doing and what you're looking for.

The FSTi wins massively once you're trundling along as the sixth gear and additional torque makes it really easy work.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
What are you referring to by electrical assistance? Apart from DCCD on the STi there's not much difference on the electrical front on the newages? I think the clocks have a shift beeper and the WRX's don't.... or are you thinking about the newer stuff that came in with the hatches like SI-Drive etc?
There are Yaw sensors to cope with "auto" mode on the dccd on widetrack blobs/hawk STI's (Not that It gets used in Auto on track!)

Many skipped over AVCS heads on the 2.0 STI's as well which is a noteworthy difference (variable valve timing to help with later spooling turbos). I think everyone covered the rest, the pick of the bunch is the Hawk STI Spec C RA-R in my opinion but you will pay an arm and a leg for one as they are rarer than the 22b

If you can spring to a 2.0 JDM hawk STI that would be pretty dam nice 8250rpm rev limit, twinscroll turbo for better spool, etc etc..
Or if budget a little tighter a widetack uk blob (2005/2006). the latter was what we where hooning round in on Saturday

Converting a wrx into an STI is a very expensive proposition. and really not worth the effort when you could sell / buy again for alot less £££

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Just an observation but amazing how much knowledge peeps have on here - great to know the site has real enthusiasts that know there stuff and are willing to help - great for Newbs like me....

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk