South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Default to map or not to map

How important is it to have the car mapped after doing some mods?

The reason i ask is I have a MY98 JDM wagon (that cant be mapped) and i have read on other forums that some people have done some mods and never had the car mapped.
I understand that having it mapped will increase the power to full pontenial but would the ecu not adapt to the changes?
I would like some more power but with the cost of a mappable ecu,having it mapped plus the mods and the value of the car it would be cheaper to sell up and get one already done.

Also I have always run the car on tesco momentum and have no plans on changing,but does it really make any difference to performance?
Saw an old fifth gear and they did a test on fuels and the verdict was there is a very minor increase in BHP but offset against the price of the fuel they couldnt see the point.

Cheers Jason
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Can't map a 98???

What mods?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Been told that the 97/98 ecu cant be mapped,the only way to go is with an after market ecu.

As for the mods,not sure really,bigger injectors,decat,different turbo,fuel pump ........
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

would a z4 fit??? if yes buy one!!! im sure sombody will know!! as for the fuel altho i dont buy it myself but v power seems to be the best one to get its not to do with bhp its about the octaine rating uk impreza use 98 ron this is what there mapped at jap use 100+ron hence ghe super plus a booster google nf octaine booster this will tell you everything you need to know about fuels with the best booster det abd pinking ect

Last edited by bonner; 05-03-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

if you change injectors or turbo, you deffo need a remap.
Decat, you should but some people don;t bother, fuel pump requires no remap.

I thought you could get daughterboards for the later classic ECU's though which allowed remap. someone will be able to confirm if i;m rigt or if my memory has gone pants again
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

The problem with not getting it at least checked is you don't know if it will or is running lean. Decats cause boost spike/creep which can obviously lead to issues. I'd have mine checked and tweaked, if neccesary, after every change i make to be honest. It's always going to be cheaper t buy a car already done, it's not as much 'fun' though is it?!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

thats one of the reasons I went for a sports cat rather than a decat.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

You can fit a ESL daughterboard, as per Type-R-Rus and then have it mapped.
This will cost circa £550-£600 (£295+VAT for ESL board, plus mapping).

The 97/98 tend to get a bit spikey on the boost as soon as you change the downpipe or fit an induction kit.
You can control this boost spike with a brass pill in the boost control pipework, but then you don't get the benefits of the modifications.

Cheapest way forward is 2nd hand Apexi PFC or ESL and map it. Both would work out similar money. You should see close to 300BHP if the JDM WRX runs 380cc injectors as standard or 300-320BHP if running 440's.
I'm not sure what injectors/turbo the JDM WRX run (my guess is 380's and a TD04) as not many were imported. 99% of imports of 97/98 were STi with 440's and VF22's.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

I'm in a puzzle about mine it's a 96 wrx import with yellow I think the exhaust has had decat removed and ECU is a 1 s I take this is normal for a import any info on this would be great
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM

1S is from a MY97.
Looking at your avatar it looks like a facelift, so although reg in 96 it's a MY97.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah it has face lift front came here like that but log book says 96 and shipped here in 2007
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby O'Neill View Post
Yeah it has face lift front came here like that but log book says 96 and shipped here in 2007
Does it have a coil pack and HT leads ?
Radio Aerial on rear wing (spotted on Avatar) would indicate to me Sept95 - 96 with a Z4 ECU. But this wouldn't have coil pack and HT leads.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah it's got aerial in the rear wing and a rear wiper on the rear window not sure on if its got coil pack or ht leads but I will check in the morning and let u know
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's got aerial in the rear wing and a rear wiper on the rear window not sure on if its got coil pack or ht leads but I will check in the morning and let u know
OK, Stick a photo up if you can.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

my car has a vf28 turbo,would a td 05 be better?
also would just changing the injectors and fuel pump make any difference to the car
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
OK, Stick a photo up if you can.
Photo as requested i assume its a coil pack sorry about engine I got her like this and my next step is tiding her up give a good clean change some pipes and other bits can belt been changed. But am I in the same boat about the ECU u can't remap it and I need to get another 1 as I have a 1 s ECU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (134.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Authorised Trader

all JDM classics used yellow 440's apart from v1/2 WRX's which had 380's generally...........

v3/4 saloons cars switched from the previous TD05 fitment to the VF series, unlike UK cars which still got 440's but had a td04

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Photo as requested i assume its a coil pack sorry about engine I got her like this and my next step is tiding her up give a good clean change some pipes and other bits can belt been changed. But am I in the same boat about the ECU u can't remap it and I need to get another 1 as I have a 1 s ECU
Engine is defo MY97 and would explain the 1S ECU, so you should according to Alyn's confirmation above be running a VF24 and 440's. This is assuming the WRX/STi came with VF24, 22B VF23 and STi RA VF22.

Regardless, the ECU can only be upgraded using ESL daughterboard or replaced with Apexi, Syvecs etc..etc.....
Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Bronze Member

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Engine is defo MY97 and would explain the 1S ECU, so you should according to Alyn's confirmation above be running a VF24 and 440's. This is assuming the WRX/STi came with VF24, 22B VF23 and STi RA VF22.

Regardless, the ECU can only be upgraded using ESL daughterboard or replaced with Apexi, Syvecs etc..etc.....
It's defiantly got 440s as I looked myself and a car mechanic has but would not know about the turbo as the cover still around the turbo and will need to do further investigation to find out. It still has its original recirculated dump valve which I'm very happy to leave alone and not change but just trying to find out if she been upgraded or came as she has and know now what to do if I want to up grade any think on her Ty for ur help on this

Last edited by Scooby O'Neill; 07-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Bronze Member

Is there much difference between bhp on Wrx and sti on imports and uk spec cars or they pretty much the same as each other
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Authorised Trader

all comes down to age generally..............

early WRX were around 240, later cars were 280 with all later STi's officially around 280 also (due to JDM gentlemans agreement but most made 300ish)

UK cars are 215-225

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
all comes down to age generally..............

early WRX were around 240, later cars were 280 with all later STi's officially around 280 also (due to JDM gentlemans agreement but most made 300ish)

UK cars are 215-225
Thanks for info I always wonder if there was a difference between them