South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 13-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Regular User

Default Autronic ecu question

been out doing a bit more basic mapping this afternoon/evening to give the new build some boost to check all ok before proper mapping, the lap top is throwing up charge temps in red as its high, around 65 degrees where as the intake was down at 35 ish, as soon as its given a bit of throttle it drops and when the Aquamist cuts in at 0.9bar in drops rapidly to, but i dont know where its getting its readin from, any ideas? cause i built the engine and the only extra sensor is the one in the boost pipe which you'd think would be the one but when disconected its still reading the same
Old 14-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Autronic ecu question

surely if theres no sensor present to mesure charge temps, the ''reading'' must be wrong?
Old 14-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Regular User

really dont know mate, the temp does come down alot with the mist which is after the sensor in the boost pipe, the mist jet is bout 3" from the trottle body, as far as im aware there is not another sensor after the tb, we not had this reading flash up before either so not really thought much about it
Old 14-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

charge air temp sensor is normally in the pipe between the airbox and turbo on the 1997-2000 STi models.
So it isn't realy charge air but intake air.

if yours is located there it may just be the under bonnet temps whilst idle/slow/traffic type driving.
Once you start to get a bit of airflow it then drops.
65 is probably about right if it is sucking heat off the engine.
Old 14-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Regular User

its a 94 car, all i have is a airfilter with a custom pipe to the turbo, there is a sensor in the boost pipe which was fitted at Zen with ecu, i have a aquamist jet after that on the opposite side of pipe nearer the tb, when the mist cuts in the temp drops rapidly but with the boost pressure the mist should be cooling the air going away from said sensor if that makes sense so it shouldnt effect the reading, obviously when givin it some welly the temps drop but it still flashing up red which is a indication that its too high, wanna know why, cause to me the said sensor should be charge then if thats the case then wheres my intake temp reading coming from cause it wouldnt be there

hope that makes sense
Old 14-06-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm not that familiar with the Autronics.
But on the SM4 Version of the software I have here there is a Charge Temp Estimate Map that runs from 99 DegC at Idle down to 30DegC at 7000rpm which makes snese as at ilde you are sucking in engine heat whearas at 7000rpm the airflow is good and hence cooler.

does it do it all the time, as the help on this table seems to indicate that this table adjusts the fuelling dependant on charge temp and coolant temp i.e for the initial cold running period.
when the car is up to temperature the charge temp should have no effect on fuelling.

Maybe your values are wrong and hence the warning
Or
The warning is indicating that Charge Temp is having an effect on the fuel adjustments.

the logger also has minimum and maximum warning paramtersfor wach item you log.
Check what these are set to, the default appears to be 0 Min, 100Max for Charge Temp.
Old 14-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Regular User

i'll be totally honest and say i dont know and your kinda loosing me there

ive turned the boost down again for now as to be honest i think if i were to have any problems with anything then i would've done last nite on the M25/23 as we were up to 1.2bar full throttle in 4th/5th and there was plenty of fuel etc with nothing on the knocklink while under heavy load, and it was totally savage, this morning started getting lights up in 2nd 3rd so backed the boost right off and then took it home, got a feeling we could be into timing adjustments to but im not doing that, playing with fuel tables is a doddle but not timing, time to get it properly mapped when get the spare funds,
the temps are not a problem while driving proper so may be worryin bout nothing
Old 15-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Regular User

spoke to Pavlo today, he said its nothing to worry bout as like you said its a estimated reading from coolant and intake temps, he said it would have been flashing red even when he was plugged into it, as long as it comes down its fine

feel better now
Old 15-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob
spoke to Pavlo today, he said its nothing to worry bout as like you said its a estimated reading from coolant and intake temps, he said it would have been flashing red even when he was plugged into it, as long as it comes down its fine

feel better now
Cool, we've both learnt something today then
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

common on the autronics.. every one I have done does it.. annoying but nothing else.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
I'm not that familiar with the Autronics.
But on the SM4 Version of the software I have here there is a Charge Temp Estimate Map that runs from 99 DegC at Idle down to 30DegC at 7000rpm which makes snese as at ilde you are sucking in engine heat whearas at 7000rpm the airflow is good and hence cooler.

does it do it all the time, as the help on this table seems to indicate that this table adjusts the fuelling dependant on charge temp and coolant temp i.e for the initial cold running period.
when the car is up to temperature the charge temp should have no effect on fuelling.

Maybe your values are wrong and hence the warning
Or
The warning is indicating that Charge Temp is having an effect on the fuel adjustments.

the logger also has minimum and maximum warning paramtersfor wach item you log.
Check what these are set to, the default appears to be 0 Min, 100Max for Charge Temp.
the charge temp estimate table is the temperature you believe the charge will be when it enters the cylinder.. it is higher at idle because the gas speed is slower so the charge will be heated by inlet manifold, cylinder heads, etc..

The warning is because the charge temp sensor is exceeding 65C and is probably mounted in the intercooler pipework just before the throttle body and near the hot turbo below it.
the name of the charge temp and charge temp sensor are misleading as they refer to charge in different areas of the engine.

Simon