South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 17-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Regular User

Default boost issues, Denso MAP sensor values

Hi,

First technical question so here goes

I'm getting some over boost at times and think I've narrowed it down to the Denso 079800-4110 MAP sensor.

These are the values I get measuring the voltages using a vaccum tool:
-14 psi = 1.68V
0 psi = 2.41V
5 psi = 2.79V
10 psi = 3.30V
20 psi = 4.40V (or close)
26 psi = 4.92V (max voltage)

Car is mapped for 1.5 bar

Sorry for the psi but that's the units of the tool.

Now these values head in one direction and maintain voltage at any given pressure, but should it not be exactly 0V - 5V?

Car is a V3 type-R so dont know if the Denso part listed above is correct (original) or available on any other cars so I could try a different unit.

Does any one else think the voltages are wrong or can perform a test also.

Any suitable replacement part that will not require a ruddy remap (not convenient at the moment).

I have tested the boost solenoid and that works fine, also the actuator works fine too!!

Sorry if formating is poor as using my phone to post.

Many thanks for any help.
Old 17-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Found some info and the figures maybe okay.

Back ground info
The other day she was hitting 1.6 - 1.7 bar in most gears, I pulled over and without turning the engine off I pulled the map electrical wiring and plugged it straight back in.

Pulled away and upto max in 4th she was exactly 1.5 bar.

5 miles or so later it started to drift higher again.

Maybe it's not the MAP sensor, but strange how the above procedure kinda kicked something back to normal.

I tested the boost solenoid using a 12V battery source and it opens and closes as I connect the battery, but the wiring from the ecu (wiring loom for the boost solenoid) never earth's even when I pump the MAP upto 2 bar (ignition is on ecu is simtek). Maybe the ecu is looking for revs or another input to stimulate the trigger of the boost solenoid and not just the MAP.

Ta
Old 21-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Regular User

Thought I'd share my findings in case anyone else uses a TD05.

I found I had half a lug of preload on the actuator. Set the arm so it just falls onto the lug (pivot arm) and she hits and holds boost bang on the set limit (1.44). May not be specific to the TD05, but others have reported 14 psi with no actuator arm connected!

Hope this helps someone else out one day.
Old 21-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

You should have some pre-load and 1/2 aligned is perfect.

Sounds like the map is a little too aggressive on the BCS duty cycle.
Old 21-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Regular User

Cheers Scott, I remember you telling me this and I kinda understand, but it just boosted as above. I need it remapping again, it's just getting around to the traveling and costs etc. Big shame you can't map mine as I know you build in some safety. If I do get it remapped would you suggest 1/2 alignment before this (at time of remap)?

Tags
boost, denso, map, sensor, type-r