South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 27-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Default fitting a splitter

I have got a second hand splitter but cant see how it should be fitted.
It does have a couple of holes on the ends,so I can put a couple of screws in there but not sure how to fix the front.Would it be bonded or would the end screws be enough???
Old 27-01-2011, 10:15 AM
worzel

Have you got pics of the splitter?

I have only got a fairly cheap splitter on mine. That is held in place by 8 small nuts and bolts.
Old 27-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

Old 27-01-2011, 11:09 AM
worzel

The one I fitted has the bolts as indicated by the black dots in the pic below.

They take some force, so it's necessary to put as many as this on. 10 and not 8 as previously stated.

Old 27-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

ok thanks.I think I need to offer it up and see how snugg it fits.Do you think self tapping screws would be ok or bolts?
Old 27-01-2011, 11:56 AM
worzel

I would say use nuts, bolts and washers. Self tappers may not be man enough?
Old 27-01-2011, 12:01 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Looks like yours is a glass fibre copy - You might be OK, but I've had nothing but horrid experiences with the glass fibre copy splitters on any MY.

They tend to use the originals as a mould, which then makes the ones they sell slightly too large/small. So never fit right and because they are glass fibre they have no give in them to pull and push them around. Plus the slightest knock and they crack.

That said plenty of people use and fit them, so just depends how well you one has been made/copied.

But to answer your question I would personally use nuts and bolts with nyloc nuts. Self taps can shake loose and its easy for someone to take them out and steal your spliiter.

But I would recommend you offer it up before you start drilling any holes.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Regular User

I like to use plastic nuts and bolts with Penny Washers, just so if it does hit something, granted you lose the splitter, but at least you don't destroy the bumper, it just snaps the bolts. Just a trick I use on the race cars......
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Now thats something I wouldn't have thought about.... Top tip that.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
worzel

That's a cracking tip!

I for one will be changing my nuts, bolts and washers on the back of that