South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 20-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

Default warning light??

hi finally managed to go for my first ever drive in my bugeye wrx, heres the problem, i drove for about 45min all normal yes within the speed limit) whilst i got used to the car, then i came up to the slip road for the m25 and naturally i wanted a lil more, so put me foot down after going into 3rd the engine management light came on to which i pood it and got in the slow lane, checked owners book and its says its somthing to do with emmisions. is this right?? what should i do next, and should i be bricking it? forgot to mention im only the 3rd owner. its been serviced by subaru every year since new till a 1000m ago, and reicpts that are thicker then the bible so i know its been looked after, any suggestions?
Old 20-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey85 View Post
hi finally managed to go for my first ever drive in my bugeye wrx, heres the problem, i drove for about 45min all normal yes within the speed limit) whilst i got used to the car, then i came up to the slip road for the m25 and naturally i wanted a lil more, so put me foot down after going into 3rd the engine management light came on to which i pood it and got in the slow lane, checked owners book and its says its somthing to do with emmisions. is this right?? what should i do next, and should i be bricking it? forgot to mention im only the 3rd owner. its been serviced by subaru every year since new till a 1000m ago, and reicpts that are thicker then the bible so i know its been looked after, any suggestions?
Bugeyes are very sensitive to getting the CEL (check engine light) come on when running standard map. Mine comes on if i get near the limiter (6500-7000rpm) in 2nd, then jump off the gas to change up to 3rd. Probably had it 20 or so times in the last few years - i just reset it!

I'm not saying that its fine - as it could be a problem on your car. Only way to know 100% is to get the codes read off it. But chances are its nothing - if you want to reset the light, you can by starting then stopping the car about 4 times in the row (start car, let it run a few seconds, turn off, then start it again and repeat). It'll go off after a few times
Old 20-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

cheers ill give it ago in the morning, gotta admit i was quite high in the revs when it came on :s anyways the car definatly lved up to my dreams and its only standard, so good only knows the rush you lads get with the mods,
Old 20-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Worth getting the error code read to see whats what. As steve said they can be sensitive, especially the misfire code, which often happens If you hit the rev limiter. Only 2 misfires triggers the code on the bugeye. they increased this on later models.
Old 21-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Bronze Member

Steve pp. Mate your a diamond. Tried it this morning and as you said on the fourth time it went out. Should I still get a computer on it??
Old 21-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

First time it happened on mine i'd only had the car a couple of weeks so i got the codes read to find out if anything was wrong (didn't know about the bugeyes being so sensitive to misfires at the time).

Its worth getting it checked just in case somethings not right, but if it just comes up with a misfire code or something i wouldn't worry too much if it happens in the future. I've just reset every subsequent CEL i get and its still going strong after 30,000 miles and some good track beatings
Old 21-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice. Put my mind to rest a little bit when the light went out. Just scared te crap outta me having only own the car an hour and that happens. Mmmm a track day sounds like a lots fun but I think I'll be to paranoid abou doing some damage since as te car is so mint lol
Old 21-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

I would offer to zip up and plug in my reader...but my wont start at all now...
Old 21-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Bronze Member

Well any knocking noises? Cus if you have any then it sounds identical to what my bug eye did..... £3000 engine and labour and 3 months later an it's nearly back on the road
Old 21-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njz9046 View Post
Well any knocking noises? Cus if you have any then it sounds identical to what my bug eye did..... £3000 engine and labour and 3 months later an it's nearly back on the road
Dont be saying that. My luck ain't that good haha
Anyway there's no knocking noises. It only came on when I give it a lil bit of stick. Re set it then it did it again in the same situation. But hasn't done it since. I'm hoping it'll be fine cause I'm only the third owner. The last owner really looked after her. New diff two years ago. Serviced by Subaru every year. And the amount of reicpts I've got is staggering the only faults I he with the car is that it slightly pulls to the left ( no biggie easy fix ) and the mileage screen is on it's way out. Going to get her hooked up ASAP and have a proper look.
Old 21-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

if it is a misfire code, probably worth a plug change of tighten the gap sligthly to see if it improves. The age of the car may suggest it needs a new or all new coil packs.
Old 21-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey85 View Post
Dont be saying that. My luck ain't that good haha
Anyway there's no knocking noises. It only came on when I give it a lil bit of stick. Re set it then it did it again in the same situation. But hasn't done it since. I'm hoping it'll be fine cause I'm only the third owner. The last owner really looked after her. New diff two years ago. Serviced by Subaru every year. And the amount of reicpts I've got is staggering the only faults I he with the car is that it slightly pulls to the left ( no biggie easy fix ) and the mileage screen is on it's way out. Going to get her hooked up ASAP and have a proper look.
Just watch out buddy, mine was same sorta thing, I'm second owner, only had 38000 miles, serviced every year by dealership and still only managed 6 months before catastrophe!! I'd recommend going straight to a Subaru dealership and getting it checked, wish I did
Old 21-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you. I'll let you know how I get on. Once again this site has proven invaluable!! Everyone's friendly and has good advice