South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 26-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Advice needed

I'm after some of your opions guys who have been around the scooby scene alot longer then me,

I've taken a different route with my car due to not wanting to spend loads on a 93 wrx and never see much back from it and rather wait a while to afford a new age sti for all round purposes.

But for the time being i am stuck with my93 wrx, I am in the process of returning the car back to a stock (ish) car-
1, for more relibilty.
2,Feed up of trying to push it and constanly change bits to match the last modd, flaming things been in so many different forms now,

Now heres what i want from the car to be able to drive to a track day do a days FUN and come home,then take it to work monday to order new tyres,brakes and oil that ive destroyed the day before lol!!
But must make clear the car isnt my daily driver but at times it will be used solid for a week or two.
Engine
Standard 93wrx pushes 237bhp when it left the factory,
Now i dont want huge amount of power due to reason 1,
So im thinking uprated panel filter,3in system,fuel pump, and chipped ecu.
run 1.0bar max. figures arnt impotant but id imaging thats enough for 270ish. Also ported and heat wrapped headers as already fitted.

Suspension
I've already fitted version6 Sti red shocks and springs.
cusco H brace.
Rear upper brace.

Plan to fit front brace,Lowering springs and whiteline Arb and drop links.

Brakes
Oem 2 pots due to orignal 16's going back and 4pots wount clear.
So to make the best of it im planing groved discs,hard compound pads,braided lines and dot 5 fluid.

Wheels
Standard 16s wrapped in yokos.

Questions.
Is this enough for i want the car to do.
What size Arbs,pads,springs would you use,
Other than the car is there anything you would change or add.

Cheers guys
Old 26-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Nige

I would take the heat wrap off the headers. They like a bit of fire! Ask Scott
Old 26-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Consider them off lol
Thanks for the advice
Old 26-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Crowman

The car you discribe is basicaly the same as my WRX when i brought it 9 yrs ago, running 276 bhp with just chip and decat
I took it to donnington , it had perfomance discs , pads, fluid and brake lines.
4 laps and i had zero brakes, pedal ****e, fade huge.
The 2 pots are 100% no good for road let alone track.

If you do one thing, keep it on 4 pots
Old 27-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post

+1

Don't have a problem with heat wrap
Old 27-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
The car you discribe is basicaly the same as my WRX when i brought it 9 yrs ago, running 276 bhp with just chip and decat
I took it to donnington , it had perfomance discs , pads, fluid and brake lines.
4 laps and i had zero brakes, pedal ****e, fade huge.
The 2 pots are 100% no good for road let alone track.

umm. so disappointing to hear as wanted to have standard wheels, ill have to sit back and think of another set,

Thanks for the heads up martin don't want to spend that amount of money to like you said 4 laps in there ****ered.
Old 27-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

just run front spacers then they should clear, Im not sure why you are having a problem as I have run pretty much all the 16's made over 4 pots granted I haven't tried the original 5 spokes but Im sure spacers will sort it.

Brad
Old 27-07-2011, 03:46 PM
worzel

If I was starting over from scratch.

I would push to about 280bhp tops (STi figures). Upgrade the brakes and then spend as much as I could afford on getting the suspension set up absolutely sorted. Including ARB's, drop links, strut braces and the best set of adjustable coil overs I could buy.

The smart money isn't just spent on making it quick (trust me, been there, done that and wish I hadn't to a degree) it's all about stopping it quick and late and getting round corners flat and true.

I'm sure that some may disagree, but I would challenge many people to chase Neil in his Stock Evo 10 anywhere other than a drag strip.

Just my opinion for what it's worth
Old 27-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Worzel,That's my aim not to push my engine to its max as lets be frank its a 17yr old lump that's not going to be its strongest, and the cost of a rebuild is half the price to a new-age, i believe 280bhp is good, was watching you tube last night on the episode evo vs scoobs and they said that the early scoob doesn't need much fiddling for tack, ive been searching and reading and the norm seems to be Whitleine 22mm front and 24mm rear Arb's, have any of you guys used this combo?
I had HKS coilys but they were so Bloody hard the car felt like it was skipping when braking from high speeds, so they had to go..

Brad the wheels do not fit, they would need around 10mm spacers which id also have to fit at the rear as-well, so that's a no no, ill just find some new wheels maybe after market light 16s or the Std sti 16s from a 97> Again
Old 27-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Nige

I wouldnt put the arb's on have a good set up 1st.
Old 27-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry nige what do you mean? like i said in my 1st post is only has braces at the moment and later shocks, so its practically starting from fresh
Old 27-07-2011, 04:45 PM
worzel

There are some people who believe that ARB's are a waste of time. Quite a split camp that one.

IMHO, anything that goes to eliminate roll has to be a good thing. Plus ARB's are quite a cheap mod in the scheme of things. But I would listen to both sides of the coin and then make your mind up. That's what modding is about at the end of the day, how YOU want it.