South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 19-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Regular User

Exclamation Replacing front struts on a Classic STI

Hi everyone,

I have an STI v2 (1995) and today I thought it would be a good idea to replace the front struts. Managed to get the top camber bolt off one of the struts after about half an hour using a 16 inch break bar. However the lower one is seized tight. I've tried WD40 and a blow torch but it refuses to move. Does anyone have any TIPs on loosing the bolt before I throw in the towel and take the car to a garage.

Cheers
Iceman_II
Old 19-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

Use a very good fitting socket, and a longer bar. I changed mine for the first time, and used one almost a meter long. Just be careful, I cracked a rib doing one side, as the bar slipped off and I hit the kerb.

Oh, and say hello in the new section.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

i think its some times pot luck with these lol, all 4 of my impreza's ive never had any trouble removing the shocks, the latest one was a doodle takes longer jacking the thing up and taking the wheel off, but overs have great trouble, the lower one is a bit harder as it sits lower down, you will probley want a impact gun as the shock threw the bolt normaly does the trick! or try monsters way but like he says make sure its a very very good socket you dont want to be rounding that bolt!!
Old 19-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Crowman

When I first did mine it was the same as nick, I used a 3rd long scaffold bar, bent the ratchet first then got a decent bar with the scaffold pole, it was easy.
Good luck mate , make sure you mark up you camber bolts, so you get it as near as possible when you put the new shocks on .
Will need your geo doing after really.
Old 19-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Regular User

Tried again today with a longer breaker bar and it's stuck fast. Managed to start rounding the bolt off and destroy two 19" sockets so I think I'm flogging a dead donkey now!

Will have to take the car to a garage now to see whether they can remove or drill out the bolt and also allow them to fit the struts etc. So frustrating that one nut has stopped me from replacing the strut and will probably cost me +£200 to get sorted...

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 19-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Could you take it to a garage and get them to loosen them for you
Old 19-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby999 View Post
Could you take it to a garage and get them to loosen them for you
..........then you can crack on learning and saving pennies!!!
Old 22-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Ok the nut is off . Took the car to a local garage and the managed to release the nut with a foot long breaker bar. They also did the other three at the same time. My wallet is £20 lighter which I thought was a fair deal.

This weekend I'll have the new struts on at last!

Iceman_II