South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Regular User

Default Another manifold question. Help Please

Discovered today that the blow on the exhaust is from the pipe that runs from the header to the turbo. Can anyone advise me on the ease, time and best way to go about doing it. Having looked at it, it looks very awkward getting to the bolts on the turbo ? Also would it be worth changing the manifolds to new stainless items seeing as they seem so reasonable on ebay
?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

If your staying with a standard oe turbo then just replace with an oe up pipe with out a flex joint
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Authorised Trader

the trouble with most of the ebay style manifolds is that they are massively oversized in terms of bore and all they do is rob you of power/spool............

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Ok thanks for advice so far. I'll give the manifolds a miss then and stick with stock.
Are the up pipes on ebay OK ?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

I have still got OE headers but had them ported which is well worth it.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Best upgrade below 400bhp would be ported oe with matched up pipe.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Best upgrade below 400bhp would be ported oe with matched up pipe.
Would disagree
Tumbler deletes see's more gains IMHO
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Would disagree
Tumbler deletes see's more gains IMHO
Chris
whats that in english

Im looking to change headers and up pipe soon, but not planning on any more power upgrades, was more because the sheilds are shot, just looking to renew gaskets, up pipe etc.

Is it best to get the headers ive got ported?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

Look through Nicks project thread, pics of deletes in there i think. He later got a Spec C mani without them for a steal from Saj.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

Found it on CJs thread

More home made mods
First one is a insert of stainless steel to speed up the spool , seems to have pushed it 350rpm earlier on the rollers and about 500 t0 60 rpm on the road

Second one was getting ride of the tumblers in the inlet manifold

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

In the pic above is a tumbler delete I did about 4 to 5 years ago !
And there still on the car
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM

I've done the tumbler delete mod as well, makes a big difference - but as it's inlet based not exhaust didn't mention it! For headers (exhaust) ported are fine up to 400, matched up-pipe will aid spool as well, similar effect to C.J's insert. Harvey Smith has done a lot of research and has a range of up-pipes to suit different engine/turbo characteristics.

If anybody wants a set I have a spare set of tumblers that I can do the delete mod on and will let people have on an exchange basis, These are new age UK models only I believe.

Morster is correct that I'm running the Spec C manifold due to me forgetting the tumbler deletes I'd made and only realising once the car was in bits at C.J's!

The tumblers close and restrict airflow at idle and create turbulence to improve emissions but cause a restriction in the inlet on normal running, car is fine without them (will throw a Cel and can cause limp mode if not mapped out). Switching to silicone inlet, spec C manifold and Harvey headers and up-pipe gained me approx 500rpm of spool on my APS sr40 on the old 2.0.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Is it best to get the headers ive got ported?
Personally I'd pay the extra and get a set of Harvey Smith ported and wrapped headers with an up-pipe matched to your cars spec. He has sold 100s and done the research on gains.

I know Jaffa does a good job of porting (not sure if he does the collectors as well) and of course C.J can do it.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Happy to do deletes too and fit with out an exchange
You will need a remapp after its done though