South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 15-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Regular User

Default overboosting?

Hi guys,

bit a nooby question so please bare with me.

my scoob is pretty much standard apart from induction kit and a prodrive exhaust as far as im aware... im not sure how much boost it is suppost to be running but when im giving it some beans it normally sits at 12psi until this morning on the way to work it went to 14psi!

Then, thisd evening on the way home, i thought id see if it would do it again, needle went to 14 dropped to 9 then sat at 12 again.

any ideas what could cause the boost to change overnight?
Old 15-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Temperature
It's very cold at the moment and this can cause boost spikes.
The induction kit can also cause boost spikes but the severity depends on the kit and the year of vehicle fitted to.
Old 15-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Regular User

ive had the car for a year and this is the first time its happened...
Old 15-01-2013, 09:08 PM

What year is it ?
Old 15-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Authorised Trader

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 15-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
brilliant

Xreg 2000 classic
Old 16-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Authorised Trader

make sure you haven't over-filled wioth oil as this can be a major cause of overboosting also as it gums up the boost lines, etc........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 17-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Regular User

i checked the oil at the weekend and it was alright so left it alone. im starting to think there may be a boost leak asits dropping to half it would be at full boost then slowly going out to full boost.

Gonna give everything a clean and check at the weekend, see if i can find anything
Old 17-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

My classic used to overboost to 1.5bar then wind back down to 1bar, could never get to the bottem of it! would the boost solonoid be at fault? when mine overboosted the engine check light used to come on but went off as soon as it dropped bit of a pain as i couldnt get no codes up that way
Old 17-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Clean out the hoses that connect the turbo to the blue boost control solenoid with carb cleaner, especially the short hose that connects between the turbo outlet nipple and small white the t-piece. This hose has a small restrictor inside which is easily blocked.

The more blocked it gets, the more boost/boost spike you will get, as it prevents air getting to the actuator.

While your there squirt some cleaner through the solenoid and if possible excercise it with a 12V supply while cleaning.
Old 18-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Regular User

thanks for that mate! i will see what happens on saturday