South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Default Been Logging

Ok, this is probably more aimed at Scott, but feel free to chip in,

Had a problem with my knock sensor recently which I think is now fixed, so did some logging in RomRaider yesterday on a trip to Jap Performance.

Knock sensor seems to be running fine. I did reset ecu before I went and then once engine up to temp did some gradualy harder third and forth gear pulls made sure everything looked ok.

Then did a few 2000 to 6500rpm 3rd gear runs in anger.

I have noticed that towards 5500 upwards I am running a 90 to 97.5% injector duty cycle. Isn't around 90 - 93 % considered max?

Is it worth getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and upping the pressure a bit and then fine tuning the map?

I got some feedback knock correction around these rpm's on a couple of pulls of about -2.11 but no fine learning correction. This I believe to be ok?

Also my boost is only going to about 1.14 at moment, I thought it was set to 1.2 so I guess this is about right, this is something I am looking into possibly increasing slightly.

exhaust gas temps are up to 650 degrees C. so are these ok?

using airflow readings of 267 g/s is it possible to estimate bhp?

Last edited by 555_Si; 05-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

97% IDC at those rpm will mean you are hitting 100% + at higher rpm and in the higher gears.
I would advise you get an FPR, although would be interested to see what AFR you are running to be that high on the IDC. You have STi pinks and a PPP/WR1 running 1.3bar won't be hitting those IDC.

If you do fit an FPR you will need the map adjusted.

When you do an ECU reset the Ignition Advance Multiplier should reset. The default reset setting is 8 out of a total of 16 or 0.5 out of 1 depending on how your loggers representation is setup to view it (they either show a range of 0 - 16 or 0 - 1).

After a few spirited runs and a bit of midrange rpm cruise the Ignition Advance Multiplier (IAM) should creep up to 16 or 1 (depending on it's representation).
If it does then everything seem's pretty OK.
Keep an eye on the IAM to see if there is any movement over time.

You mapper may of changed this to be set at 16 after a reset. I would suggest you do another reset and check
I always map at 16 so that it runs max ignition while mapping, then set it to 10 on the final flash. Therefore, allowing the ECU to make it's own mind up whether it can run at 16.
Mapping with an IAM at less then 16 is dangerous as you are not getting the ECU full ignition advance. Post mapping the ECU could then end up putting timing back in and cause knocking/detonation.

The listening range for knock correction can also be adjusted in the map to get the ECU to listen and correct over a wider rpm range, therefore providing an additional safety margin.
Some of the standard ECU and IIRC the early 2008 hatch ECU have a very narrow listening band which isnt' great. For example detonation/knock above 5500rpm may be present but it is outside of the listening range so the ECU makes no correction and things can go pop.......

You have upto 300g/s in your MAF map, which is a coded limitation that is fixed at 300g/s regardless what you try to change it to.
However, more is possible from the Newage MAF but you need to half-scale a lot of other maps to get the ECU to trick the ECU to run with more then 300g/s.

You may be hitting 1.2 bar in the higher gears or your mapper set it up using a boost gauge rather then the ECU feedback in the logger. I do the same as it's easier to watch a mechanical gauge to detect any slow spool, dips or spikes and the boost gauges always over read slightly.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM

thanks Scott, it sounds to me like the car must be running rich at top end under load, i was surprised to see these injector durations, unless i have the wrong thing logged.

my iam was 0.5 straight after ecu reset, but went to 1 and stayed there straight away after driving up the road.

the boost target reads at about 1.24 bar i think, but never seems to reach target, is that normal?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
97% IDC at those rpm will mean you are hitting 100% + at higher rpm and in the higher gears.
I would advise you get an FPR, although would be interested to see what AFR you are running to be that high on the IDC. You have STi pinks and a PPP/WR1 running 1.3bar won't be hitting those IDC.

When you do an ECU reset the Ignition Advance Multiplier should reset. The default reset setting is 8 out of a total of 16 or 0.5 out of 1 depending on how your loggers representation is setup to view it (they either show a range of 0 - 16 or 0 - 1).

After a few spirited runs and a bit of midrange rpm cruise the Ignition Advance Multiplier (IAM) should creep up to 16 or 1 (depending on it's representation).

You mapper may of changed this to be set at 16 after a reset. I would suggest you do another reset and check
I always map at 16 so that it runs max ignition while mapping, then set it to 10 on the final flash. Therefore, allowing the ECU to make it's own mind up whether it can run at 16.
Mapping with an IAM at less then 16 is dangerous as you are not getting the ECU full ignition advance. Post mapping the ECU could then end up putting timing back in and cause knocking/detonation.

The listening range for knock correction can also be adjusted in the map to get the ECU to listen and correct over a wider rpm range, therefore providing an additional safety margin.
Some of the standard ECU and IIRC the early 2008 hatch ECU have a very narrow listening band which isnt' great. For example detonation/knock above 5500rpm may be present but it is outside of the listening range so the ECU makes no correction and things can go pop.......

You have upto 300g/s in your MAF map, which is a coded limitation that is fixed at 300g/s regardless what you try to change it to.
However, more is possible from the Newage MAF but you need to half-scale a lot of other maps to get the ECU to trick the ECU to run with more then 300g/s.

You may be hitting 1.2 bar in the higher gears or your mapper set it up using a boost gauge rather then the ECU feedback in the logger. I do the same as it's easier to watch a mechanical gauge to detect any slow spool, dips or spikes and the boost gauges always over read slightly.
Yeah I was going to say that
Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post

IN ENGLISH PLEASE AND NO TEXT TALK !!!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 AM

There's no text talk just acronyms
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM

and i thought you guys were into your cars, all the gear, no idea
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM

97.5% would be basically fully open, there is no time for the injector to close between compression cycles at that duty rate is my understanding, this occurs at about 95% duty.

Sounds very rich for your boost setting, though maybe your making more power than you thought? :P

Would be interesting to see what your AFR was at 5500rpm +

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM

i going to have another look next week when i get back, something doesn't seem right, either i'm measuring incorrectly, which i don't think i am, my car is running rich, which maybe possible, or other thought is that my fpr is not holding pressure up, though i would have thought this would have been noticed when mapped.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 PM

The boost target map may peak at 1.24 bar but the WGDC (wastegate duty cycle) also needs to be set correct to achieve this.
Your map has a 'initial' and 'maximum' WGDC map.

Set your logger to log as a minimum wastegate duty, boost, engine speed and throttle angle. Then load the wastegate duty map and the boost map onto the screen and run them as a ghost map. This should then trace the actual boost and wastegate duty onto the corresponding maps (as you rev the engine you should see the ghost trace move over the map).

What you may find is your hitting your max wastegate duty before your achieving your target boost. It won't hit target in 2nd gear and may be a touch low in 3rd, but 3rd on the five speed is a good gear to get it there or thereabouts.
Running in 4th and 5th should see it close to or slightly over target.

Do a 4th and 5th gear pull from 2500rpm and run through the revs for a little while until boost has stabilised (it seems weird but it does check for good boost control). You don't have to use the full rev range, just enough to get comfortable that boost has built and levelled.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 AM

thanks Scott, i will look at this over weekend, my original logs have the data you mentioned in them, i will digest when i have recovered from business trip this week.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM

new VCDS (VW/Audi) diagnostics software and cable turned up today, so going to be playing with the Audi A4 as well.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_Si View Post
thanks Scott, i will look at this over weekend, my original logs have the data you mentioned in them, i will digest when i have recovered from business trip this week.
Bearing in mind that you think your over-fuelling have a look/log of the A/F Learning # 1, A, B, C, D as this is a long term fuel trim factor.

When you reset the ECU you will lose this information, so you need to do a few runs, primarily cruise and high speed cruise/part throttle for the ECU to calculate this trim.
This trim is worked out from the lambda feedback and is a +/-15% adjustment that the ECU can make to the fuelling in order to reach 14.7 AFR during idle/cruise.
However it applies this same +/-15% trim to the open loop/on-boost fuelling. It does not use lambda feedback during open-loop/on-boost so applies the trim it calculated previously to add the same level of adjustment to the MAF based fuelling.

Therefore if the MAF or injector scalings are not setup correct or you have fuel or air issue, this trim factor will creep up or down. The max allowed is +/-15%.
If you hit 15% you will get a CEL warning and error code. Normally a 'Bank Running lean' type error. You will also see this if you have an FPR or FPR vacuum/boost hose connection problem.

Ideally you want to keep it within 5%.

There are 4 (A, B, C, D) A/F learning parameters that feed into the A/F learning # 1 and A, B, C, D are all at different MAF g/s ranges. Looking at these will give you an indication where the fuelling needs to be adjusted.

Negative values indicate the ECU is pulling out fuel i.e you are running rich.
Positive values the ECU is adding fuel i.e you are running lean.

If their all more then 5% approx then injector scaling is a good place to start. If their all quite different then the MAF scaling needs looking at for the A, B, C or D range that has the issue.
If they are all quite different but all within 5% then don't worry, leave things as they are.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:43 AM

ok thanks Scott, really appreciate the help/tuition. i will try and digest the above and get the car logging tomorrow and see what it is doing.

jaguar gearbox is starting to play up so need to pull the focus into service today and get that booked in to be sorted.