South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 19-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Default What pads?

Thinking of changing my brake pads all round again.

Currently have EBC Yellow pads.

Brake set up is
Brembo Sport Drilled all round
Goodridge lines
AP Racing DOT 5.1 fluid

On Gold Brembo calipers.

Noticed more recently the Yellows not biting and having the feather the pedal a few times to get heat in them.

Now sure how many miles the Yellows have done to be honest?

Steve
Old 19-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Regular User

Hi Steve,

Try the new EBC Bluestuff NDX compound. Best all round pad I've ever tried and we run it on our car here.

Works from cold, not noisy, no fade and great stopping power.

As good on the road as it is on the track.

Well priced too: http://www.superhids.co.uk/new-ebc-b...u/impreza.html

We're doing a money back guarantee on these, where you can use them for 3 months and if you are not 100% happy, you can return them for a full refund. That's how confident we are that they are a superb pad

Tel: 01462 488244
  • SuperHIDs
  • KS3/KS4/Pro Knock Analysers
Call us on 01462 600241 or email aztecperformance@gmail.com

Secure online webstore:www.AztecPerformance.co.uk
Old 19-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Authorised Trader

never realised the new 'bluestuff' was more expensive than the PF z-rated pad that i would have tended to recomend (in most applications also!!)........

although we are major distributors for various manufacturers (Performance Friction, Pagid, Ferodo Racing, Mintex Racing, etc.) we tend to find that because of the specific issues encountered with the Brembo STi caliper that the PF is about the best all round pad for arduous use and very long life also in this car
if its just general 'shopping/commuting runs' then we can offer a more std pad at a silly low cost

mention the forum if ordering and we offer a members "deal"

alyn

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 19-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

I have been using PF pad's for 7 months now,

in various driving situations.

I have found them spot on, and thoroughly recommend them.
Old 19-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Pf pads here to and i cant fault them at all
Old 19-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Only £9 difference (full set) over the .11s in all fairness, but over £100 less than .01s.
  • SuperHIDs

Old 19-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Authorised Trader

have yet to see a "proper" test against something like 01 that would convince me in that direction........

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 19-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Regular User

Plenty of data about, and a lot more to come.

Can't knock a money back guarantee as a sign of confidence

No knocking PF (as we sell them too ) but EBC have really hit the mark with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyedoyle View Post
I'm owner/driver of a two door impreza that runs in Time Attack Club Pro Class. I won the last round of Time Attack Club pro class at Cadwell Park 4 weeks ago.

Over the last 12 to 18 months I've used Performance Friction PF01, Ferrodo DS2500 & DS3000, Carbone Lorraine & Yellowstuff R compounds.
I had just removed a set of spent Performance Friction 01 pads from my car and needed to fit a set of pads when I saw this thread last week, I emailed Andy and the EBC production team delivered a set of new generation Bluestuff pads within a few days.

My set-up is:

Front: Alcon monoblock 6 piston calipers, 365mm Alcon fully floating discs, new generation EBC Bluestuff pads

Rear: Compbrake 4 pot competition callipers, 330mm Compbrake discs, Performance Friction 01 pads.

Castrol SRF fluid. No servo assist. Full Michelin R18/240 slicks all-round.

I fitted the pads last Friday and headed off for testing at Donnington Saturday lunchtime, I had a friend of mine with me for the day, Time Attack Pro driver Gav Renshaw. We unloaded, set-up the car and was out for our first session at about 2pm.

There is no easy way to bed race car pads in, I did about 7 laps nice and easy and cycled the pads about 40 or 50 times, no dramas with the brakes but obviously we weren't pushing them....... I hate the smell of burning fresh pads!!!

We let the car and the brakes cool down and then Gav headed out in the car for a full pace test; warm-up lap, all good, still a bit of a funny smell from the pads (to be expected)...second lap now full pace, 3rd corner, complete loss of power....Gav dumped the car on the grass and I took a quick look under the bonnet to the marshalls clear displeasure!!.....snapped throttle cable!!! at first I thought that would be our day over but...After a tow back to the pits and a good look at the broken throttle cable I set about making a repair, managed to get a good repair to hold by modifying and fitting a couple of bits and bobs I had packed in our race support vehicle.

By now we only had an hour of tracktime left and had only just run the pads in.....Gav went back out in the car with me riding passenger.....
3 easy laps, cold bite on the pads now good, bite at full temperature not quite there yet, but still breaking in, pedal starting to get nice and firm though under heavy braking (there are 4 heavy braking areas at Donnington, in my car on low boost its typically from 130mph+ down to 40-50mph). Once Gav had full confidence in the pads (I.e. no burning clutch smell and nice firm pedal) then he let rip with a few very quick laps, he is a very smooth driver....the brakes performed flawlessly, no fade, no judder, no fluid boil, no deposits on the disc, fantastic stopping power with the good progressive feel to the brake and an ability to modulate/control the applied braking forces.

I took to the car for the final session of the day, by now the brakes were fully bedded in an were improved again over Gav's session. I have good in car footage from the session and the braking forces are up at 1.3G, bearing in mind the pads had only had around a dozen or so laps at this point I thought this was a solid performance. I done around 8 laps and again experienced no fade or loss of performance. At no point did the tyres lock up so with further testing over the next month and with the new generation Bluestuff compound fitted to the rear of the car we should be able to find the limit of this pad compound/tyre combination.

I raced at AAA saloons at Castle Combe on Bank holiday Monday, however an electrical gremlin caused early retirement in the first race and cost me a podium finish in the second race, nevertheless the braking performance for the entire 13 lap 2nd race was predicable, reliable with a nice firm pedal repeatedly braking heavy from 135+mph and again comparable to the performance of the top spec racing pads I've previously used. I managed a number of overtaking manoeuvres by out braking competitors into corners.

From my experience to date I can say that these new generation Bluestuff pads offer excellent value for money and a performance that is comparable when compared to other top spec race pads out there on the market. I am intending on using these pads for the final round of Time Attack at Snetterton 10th October.

I should also say that I have no affiliations to EBC whatsoever and the above report is an unbiased assessment soley based on the performance of the EBC pads supplied.

See links to the video footage from testing at Donnington last weekend.

Quote:
Andy,

Its been I while since I've been in touch, you may remember I competed in the Time Attack Final second weekend in October down at the Snetterton racetrack, I must apologies for not getting an email to you until know but I've been out of the country for a few weeks.....

What a fantastic day, the weather certainly helped, blue sky and sunshine all day! I won my class by over 2 seconds, beat one of the Car Planet 800hp Pro Class Evo cars and took the lap record for my class by almost a second....so something of a cleansweep!....I'll almost certainly be competing in the professional class next year against Ollie Clark's high profile Gobstopper, the 900hp orange Car Planet Evo and some other of the UK's top flight race cars..

Your EBC Bluestuff NDX pads performed flawlessly all day, you can see from the youtube video footage of the final session that at the end of the main straight the car brakes from 156mph to less that 50mph within a few seconds, and that is just one of the corners! This kind of service is just about as aggressive as you can get and is a testament to the new product you have developed.

Video footage
  • SuperHIDs

Old 19-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Authorised Trader

but those are views not tests..............specifically different

i hope they have finally sorted there compound and contact issues

online shop!!
Old 19-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Regular User

Real world views from an impartial party, a competitive competition car/driver who logs lap times, coming from various compounds including PF.01s - chooses to run EBC Bluestuff NDX. That speaks more volumes than any manufacturers test.

I've yet to see any independent brake tests that you speak of with any pad manufacturer against another?

All pads have their place, it's just good for customers that there is a greater choice of pads available.

If someone calls to order PF, we'll sell them PF, if people ask for a recommendation, I recommend the Bluestuff NDX, it is what we run on our car here after all.

• SuperHIDs

Old 19-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Bit of difference from a time attack car and a road car doing the odd track day...

Seen what people have comment on sn about them and will wait for views from people i know
Old 20-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you all for the feed back. Angus, your a tit.

I've read up about the Bluestuff pads over on SN. Tried to get a set to test by missed out by a day. Gutted.

I would have been ok if I'd got my butt in gear and purchasd the PF discs and pads from a member on Surrey. I forgot about them and then when I was reminded I didn't have the funds as I forked out some dosh on my wedding stuff. Bugger.

Will have to check my piggy bank and let one of you guys know.

Cheers
Steve
Old 20-11-2010, 10:49 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Well, as I say, mine are going on wednesday, so i'll report back. Was going to go PF, but afer reading bits on bluestuff thought i'd be a 'test pilot' and give them a go.

Steve
Old 26-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Give them a few miles and keep us posted Steve.

I personally love them
  • SuperHIDs

Old 26-11-2010, 12:48 PM
admin

What was the Porker running on the handling day Bob?
Old 26-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Regular User

EBC Bluestuff NDX
  • SuperHIDs

Old 26-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Regular User

Have run PF Z rated pads in mine since it was almost standard and never had them fade or do anything other than work perfectly in all conditions (road, shopping, track).

the biggest test in my view is the longevity of them - the Z rated PF pads lasted for 18,000 miles a set compared to a lot less than that for EBC Yellows (20 minutes before I threw them away). I havent tried bluestuff but there is nothing in my view that can touch PF pads for a normal road car that is driven enthusiastically and expecially as they are cheaper it makes them just even better value for money.

If you really want something that will stand the car on its nose then PF 01's have never let me down in the car in its current form.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:52 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

First impressions of the 'blues' are good. Only done about 100 miles on them and not at any speed, but they bite really well from cold and are silent (my others tended to squeak). I'll get some miles on them and report back how good they are when hot!. Its difficult for me to give a direct comp as I also changed the discs and lines so the whole set up is better, but so far so good