South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Default Better pads needed

This is really aimed at ASPerformance and Aztec i guess

Need some better front pads for my bugeye wrx (standard 4 pots ) as doing a 3hr session at Brands next week and the 'Ring next month. Currently got Mintex 1144 or 1155 (not sure, can't remember).

I know that i've not got the best brakes in the world for a track session but i'd like something as fade-free as possible (Wedding soon means I can't shell out for a better setup!). Did 2 x 20 mins sessions at Brands last year and the Mintex pads seemed to hold up for about 10-15 mins before starting to fade.

I'm guessing i'm looking at the Bluestuff NDX's or the PF Z's? Any deals on at the moment for forum members?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Ferodo DS2500, DS3000 or PF's
Not sure if there all available for the 4-pots though....calling ALYN !!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I had DS2500's the first time we went to the ring on standard calipers for a 2005 scoob and they worked a treat with the rears holding standard pads. you do get some lovely brake dust from DS2500's though, turned my rims a nice shade of dark dusty red!!
The pad doesn't have a chamfered leading edge so they do squeal a little untill you warm them up.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby View Post
I had DS2500's the first time we went to the ring on standard calipers for a 2005 scoob and they worked a treat with the rears holding standard pads.
I started to struggle on the ring after 1 lap with 4 pots and uprated pads, was obviously pushing harder

But Brands will be harder on brakes than the Ring (at least for me). I can learn Brands easily enough and really start to push, won't learn the Ring that well!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby View Post
The pad doesn't have a chamfered leading edge so they do squeal a little untill you warm them up.
Ah, is this why the DS2500's squeal?

Well I've never tracked mine, but I can certainly vouch for the DS2500 for regular usage. They do make your wheels very grubby, very quickly, though!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

DS2500 - used them on my 4pots and now on the AP's with virtually zero fade, ever! possibly the DS3000 but they are not to good from cold on the road.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I started to struggle on the ring after 1 lap with 4 pots and uprated pads, was obviously pushing harder

But Brands will be harder on brakes than the Ring (at least for me). I can learn Brands easily enough and really start to push, won't learn the Ring that well!
Yeah good point steve on the brands thing, more corners coming up alot quciker
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Authorised Trader

3hour session on a road car?? really?? you'll be looking for more than simply better pads then

if your on 4pots then PF dont do a z-rated pad and we would sort something like 97 for you instead (bear in mind you need a decent rear pad also)
having said that value for money wise the 1155 takes some punishment and is a better track bet than say ds2500

comes down to a point of what exactly your attempting and what sort of budget you wish to spend

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
3hour session on a road car?? really?? you'll be looking for more than simply better pads then

if your on 4pots then PF dont do a z-rated pad and we would sort something like 97 for you instead (bear in mind you need a decent rear pad also)
having said that value for money wise the 1155 takes some punishment and is a better track bet than say ds2500

comes down to a point of what exactly your attempting and what sort of budget you wish to spend
I'm not expecting miracles and i'm not expecting to be able to go out for 3 hrs non stop. Planning on probably doing around 20 minute runs before coming in to have a quick cuppa and let it cool down before going back out again. Like i said, the Mintex ones seemed to manage that last time reasonably well - just wondered if there was anything better as they are starting to get a bit thin.

Already have uprated discs (your grooved ones on front, Aztec's notched ones on the back).
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Decent pads all round will certainly help, along with braided lines and decent fluid, but ultimately the 4 pot setup is lacking for hard track use.

No deals as such available on the EBC Bluestuff NDX, but it is a great pad at a competitive price point. Free delivery too.

Images hyperlinked for your convenience:

Front:

Rear:

Give me a call if needed Steve
  • SuperHIDs
  • KS3/KS4/Pro Knock Analysers
Call us on 01462 600241 or email aztecperformance@gmail.com

Secure online webstore:www.AztecPerformance.co.uk
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Already have braided lines and using Motul RBF600 fluid.

Will have a look and get something ordered via one of you guys!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/

I found these guys very helpful and were willing to do a deal
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Regular User

Go somewhere reputable for brakes, ie: Aztec Performance, AS Performance.

Somewhere that don't use aliases to pose as customers to promote their own products, unlike the company you've just mentioned

You won't get any deals on the NDX unless you are buying discs at the same time. We have some great package deals available with a full price promise
  • SuperHIDs
  • KS3/KS4/Pro Knock Analysers
Call us on 01462 600241 or email aztecperformance@gmail.com

Secure online webstore:www.AztecPerformance.co.uk
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob'5 View Post

Somewhere that don't use aliases to pose as customers to promote their own products, unlike the company you've just mentioned

Ok fair enough,It was only a suggestion.

But like I said I found them helpful
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I've only ever had good service from Ian - and currently run his AP racing 330mm kit which I cannot fault - well one of the AP stickers has come off slightly but that's AP not Ian. Not to say there have not been others who have had problems or that there are other companies as good or better out there.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Also had very good service from Ian and never understand the comments about his service