South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Default 5 spd gearboxes

My current 5 spd box is at the end of its life having done 92k and been given a fair bit of stick over the years. Front diff is making a lot of nasty noises when turning so its time to sort it out.

Will any UK newage 5 spd box fit as a replacement? Or were there differences in the earlier to the later ones? I know the gearbox codes were different on the hawk 5 spds but do they fit straight on my bug? I'm more likely to find a low miles box from a hawk than a bug..... the other option is send mine off to be rebuilt, but its a bit more £££.

I guess if anyone has a list of gearbox codes (or knows a good website that lists them) that'll fit, that'd be handy

I'll be putting a new clutch in probably a lightened flywheel at the same time.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

This is quite useful

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/trans.html

Or

http://spda-online.ca/content.php?44-transmission-chart
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks Nick. My gearbox code is TY754VN2AA which isn't listed on the first link, but the 2nd link says its a US Impreza WRX MY02. By US, I guess it just means non-JDM...

Model 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Rev. T.R. F.D.

TY754VN2AA 3.454 1.947 1.366 0.972 0.738 3.333 1.1 3.9

Now to see if I can find a good 2nd hand replacement.... or whether to have this one rebuilt.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Rebuild will about 900. Get a 6 speed for 1300
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 PM

I sold mine for £450 they're not worth much so you should find one fairly easily
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
Rebuild will about 900. Get a 6 speed for 1300
I'd rather stick with the 5 spd - prefer it for what I use the car for. I don't need the stronger box, as the car is never going to go beyond what a 5 spd can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
I sold mine for £450 they're not worth much so you should find one fairly easily
Found one on scabbynet from a hawk with low miles but its in Northern Ireland and I guess pallet collection from there wouldn't make it worth it. Probably why it hasn't sold yet!

I wouldn't normally go near ebay for this kind of thing but the seller looks like a breaker from the name and stuff they've sold recently.... and i could collect as its only Tonbridge...... might be an option.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARUI-MP...item1c42b7217a

So... clutch and flywheel hunting!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM

I've got a used AP racing 6 speed here!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 PM

"All our gearboxes and engines come with 1 months warranty if the car is running standard form with no aftermarket parts" !!

rules you out Steve!

I can ask Richard if he has any sat around he normally does, that ebay example does seem reasonable from what he describes.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Authorised Trader

HAWK 2.5 WRX gearboxes use a totally different clutch arrangement and as such the bellhousing is cast differently internally

not a straight swap by any means

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Thanks Alyn

That rules the hawk 5 spds out then.....
Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I've got a used AP racing 6 speed here!
You're not breaking yours are you?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Thanks Alyn

That rules the hawk 5 spds out then.....
Is it not worth paying the bit extra and getting it reconditioned? Think I'd rather that than take a punt on a second hand one.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
You're not breaking yours are you?!?!
It's being considered! But the AP wasn't up to the job on mine and started to slip at 450/450 so was swapped out for a paddle.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
It's being considered! But the AP wasn't up to the job on mine and started to slip at 450/450 so was swapped out for a paddle.
Don't do it! You've put too much in to your car to break it. Think I remember you getting it done now, wasn't all that long ago was it?!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM

I'm pulling the engine in the summer and will work out options from there. Might just need a replacement HG or I may go closed deck!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm pulling the engine in the summer and will work out options from there. Might just need a replacement HG or I may go closed deck!
Nice one mate, hopefully you get it sorted.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:

an AP organic (even 6spd) isn't rated anywhere near that level although certain people get away with something near it - if you want to stay organic rather than paddle then the ACT kits are very good

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Is there anywhere you guys could recommend to fully recondition a gearbox?