South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 16-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Noise limits - the law

I don't understand how the likes of AudI RS3 or Mercedes-Benz AMG get round this 74dB limit. But it sounds like things are only going to get harder.
Is the noise of modern cars really such a polutent to justify such a huge drop in level over the next 10 years.

Surely the noise of tarmac and tyre far exceeds exhaust noise.

Article from gov.uk:

Noise
The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB (A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB (A) established in 1996. This means it would take 7 new vehicles to make the same amount of noise as one vehicle that just meets the pre-1978 limits. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB (A) louder, as are direct-injection diesels. These allowances are cumulative, so the limit for an off-road vehicle with a direct injection diesel engine is 76 dB (A).

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle types. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

A new EU regulation is being introduced from July 2016, Regulation (EU) No 540/2014, which will phase in tighter noise limits over 10 years, together with a revised, more representative test procedure. By 2026 the limit for most new passenger cars will be 68 dB(A).
Old 16-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

There must be some small print allowing exclusions based on the number of cars manufacturered, or something?

I remember a similar EU Directive that all new cars would have ABS... yet small sports car manufacturers didn't bother...
Old 16-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

How is the noise level measured surely not the standard 45 degree at 1m as per track days?
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 16-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
How is the noise level measured surely not the standard 45 degree at 1m as per track days?
That's how VOSA do it during SVA testing
Old 17-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

So will this be part of the MOT test (maybe it already is). I never had any problems with my old WRX. MOTs in France being once every 2 years makes life easier if you need to make changes.
Old 17-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Formerly Taomyn

They already measure noise and emissions as you queue up at the testing centre in Luxembourg. My last one in 2015 for my old WRX was the first time I'd seen it done, I don't need to take the STI until 2020. Unlike the UK all our test centres are operated by the government, so no dodgy backstreet garages turning a blind eye to let cars pass.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 17-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

Not sure about noise testing, but like Luxembourg all test centres are government controlled and no test for my STi until 2020.