South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 19-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Default Outdoor Car Covers

Has anyone ever used one?
Any suggestions please?
Or is it better not to use a cover in case it damages the paint work?
Old 19-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

Don't believe there are any outdoor car covers that are any good, as they don't let the car breath and trap all the moisture in and mess up everything.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 19-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'll never use one again. Not a fan of them but didn't have much choice before the garage
Old 19-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Bronze Member

I have been using a outside "Stormshield" cover for years with zero problems.With car covers you get what you pay for,so if you want one that works and is breathable you have to pay the pounds...This is the one that I have and it is still functional through all weathers after 5 years use:http://www.prestige-carcovers.co.uk/...mart&Itemid=10.SJ.
Old 19-02-2017, 07:32 PM

As above - the one i use is breatheable and hasn't ever scratched the paint but did cost £££...

The car was outside under it for the first month or so when I bought it in all weathers and no problem. Now I use the same cover for it inside the garage and I never have condensation on the car even though the garage is not warm etc so does a good job letting the moisture out...

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 19-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

OK if you like the outside of your property looking like a pikeys.
There's plenty of estates in this town with old jags/wrecks under covers, don't turn your neighbourhood into one of those.
Old 19-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

Car cover on a car brings down your neighbourhood......Lol.SJ.
Old 19-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonejedi View Post
I have been using a outside "Stormshield" cover for years with zero problems.With car covers you get what you pay for,so if you want one that works and is breathable you have to pay the pounds...This is the one that I have and it is still functional through all weathers after 5 years use:http://www.prestige-carcovers.co.uk/...mart&Itemid=10.SJ.
Ian there is even a cover for a wr1 listed
Old 19-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

Been using the Storm cover from Scoobyworld for a few years now. Had no problems what so ever, very good cover. Left the cover on for weeks before and cars been as clean and dry as when first put cover on. Done a couple of modifications to deal with the really windy days though.

Just need something to cover the bottom part of the wheels lol.
Old 19-02-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSTI View Post
Done a couple of modifications to deal with the really windy days though.
Think that is a big issue when using car covers, you have to balance keeping it on the car in windy conditions with not having it so tight it drags over the paint work or presses hard against certain areas of the bodywork.
Old 19-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Greg has a Carcoon Ian, needs plugging into the mains but it keeps things very dry, has a couple of 120mm fans in one end keeping it inflated:-

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...FY0W0wodeOAI6Q

Though it looks like there is part of the Film set to E.T. sat on your drive! it's very effective.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 19-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
Think that is a big issue when using car covers, you have to balance keeping it on the car in windy conditions with not having it so tight it drags over the paint work or presses hard against certain areas of the bodywork.
The Stormshield covers are fitted to your model car i.e big spoiler,bonnet scoop etc...I just use a long bungee cord that I run under the car to give the cover extra hold underneath works fine.SJ.
Old 19-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I dont see the point in them tbh not that it would last long up here my car sits out in all weather conditions still looks ok .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 20-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Bronze Member

I guess it comes down to people's personal preference,it works for some and not for others,that's life eh!...SJ.
Old 20-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Formerly STIWR1

I had one on mine for a bit but it was a bit of a pain. The one from Scooby world. It has one strap underneath which is not really enough. It blew off. The fit was good an not too heavy. I haven't used it that much but maybe an option would be to fit two so the one underneath does not move as much + you get better weather protection. I kind of think money spent on a good paint protection may be better, but you get so much carp from the roads these days. I was thinking about some kind of gazebo thing with Perspex in it on the drive, not sure it would work on my drive though.

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1302
Old 20-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

I used a cover on my old STI for years without any issues. It ties down in 3 places to keep secure. I had it made to fit the car by a company called Cover Craft, I think I paid about £230 for it a few years ago.
Old 20-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

if I cleaned mine and a show was a few days away I used it, otherwise I left it off