South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 23-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

Default 1999 Astra automatic

Hi guys,

I feel like a fraud coming on here and asking a question about an Astra so please tell me to bugger off if you need to..

I have just brought a cheap Astra and took the oil cap off today and noticed a brown sludge on the cap and a bit inside the engine, but the oil on the dipstick was fine (head gasket?)
Please can I ask your advice on what I should do and also if you know anyone around the Peacehaven/Brighton area that may take a look for me? Cold hard cash waiting...

Many thanks,

Paul

Last edited by scoobieschmuck; 23-03-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:55 AM
admin

Next door neighbours Vauxhall corsa Auto has the same thing

Been doing it for years and it has just kept on running. She put some Kseal in it and it just kept going!!

Headgasket IMO, depends what the cars worth to you as to wether or not you have headgasket done..

Brent gets good reviews in that area, I guess he do the work if necessary obviously a drive but Tone would be able to do the work needed also...

As everyone will say, difficult to diagnose by posts alone, so perhaps pop it in to see Brent and get a proper diagnosis.

Details for Brent
Old 23-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Bronze Member

Brilliant, thanks admin.
I will pop it down to him later today if he's not to busy.

Thank you,

Paul
Old 23-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

I had the same thing with a 205 ,was told that it was the short journeys i did in it (work and back ) 6 years later and still going strong.
if it is the headgasket i would have thought it would be using a fair bit of water.
Old 23-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby999 View Post
I had the same thing with a 205 ,was told that it was the short journeys i did in it (work and back ) 6 years later and still going strong.
if it is the headgasket i would have thought it would be using a fair bit of water.
I only brought the car a few days ago and I know it has hardly been driven in the last year or so..I don't know if that makes a difference?

Paul
Old 23-03-2011, 11:06 AM
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby999 View Post
Could well be a condensation thing Its what we first put the corsa problem down too as it never seemed to be using any water. Only takes a small ammount for the milky stuff to turn up. We noticed recently that there is now a small ammount of water leakage from the headgasket itself, appears to puddle on top of the bit of gasket that sticks out in the front corner of the engine. (only slowly appears)

Like I say, this Corsa has run for years with the same symptoms,,, its one of those could run forever, could go tomorrow problems.

I'm sure Brent will help you out though
Old 23-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Bronze Member

I have just spoken to Brent and explained the situation, you guys were spot on..he said those engines tend to breath a lot and condensation is common with them.
He said to keep an eye on the oil and coolant during the next few days but he doesn't think it's anything to worry about and should just keep on going.

Thanks for the help guys.

Paul