South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Photography Discussion

Photography Discussion All your photographic chit chat

Old 28-04-2010, 04:12 PM
worzel

Default HDR (High Dynamic Range)

Right guys, the following is a brief description of HDR and the process.

When I went to Vegas recently, one of the HDR shots I had planned was one of the classic Vegas Sign pictures.

So off I trotted with wife unhappily trudging alongside of me, to the far end of the strip and beyond, to the Vegas Sign.

I set up the tripod and fired off 5 consecutive shots, all with slightly different exposure settings. 1 was exposed evenly (as below)and then I did +1EV +2EV followed by -1EV -2EV. (EV is Exposure Value)

The one that sits in the middle of this is as below, you hopefully can imagine the other 4 shots

So, back here in jolly old Blighty and sat in front of the PC, the 5 RAW files that were shot are uploaded into Photmatix Pro (An HDR Package) where they are processed and then tone mapped. There are pre-sets for the tone mapping if you want to use them or you can play with the settings manually, which is what I did on this occasion. It is then saved as either a 16 or 8 bit Tiff file or a j-peg. I saved it as a j-peg.

One thing you will notice in the shot below if you look at the palm trees, is the ghosting where the wind is moving the palm fronds. This was not an issue in this shot as they were always going to be cropped out, but it is worth remembering if any fancies a go at HDR.

Below is the Tone Mapped HDR File.

After saving the picture as a j-peg, I imported it into Photoshop for further processing. First thing was a levels tweek followed by a contrast and brightness adjustment. I then flattened the image. This was followed by a saturation adjustment and then the final flattening of the image.

Then the tricky part

It started with a cropping as I wanted the picture to be a portrait format. The reason for taking landscape was so that it could be more easily cropped and straightened at home. Once it was cropped the most labour intensive part started, this was to clone out the cables that run around the sign and add too much distraction to the image. This is a proces that there is no short cut or easy option for and it takes a time to do properly.

Some 100 mins or so after sending the original 5 RAW files to Photomatix, this is the end result of it.

Now, I expect that there will be some people that think that this is not photography but excessive digital tinkering. And to a point I agree, BUT, this was always planned to be this way and general shots (like the holiday pics I have already posted) do not get anywhere near as much tinkering.

It is always best to get right in camera and then process very lightly.

Any road up, enough of my going on.
Old 28-04-2010, 05:00 PM
worzel

Always a good idea to check I have put the final version in there
Old 30-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

I'm a big fan of HDR photography, though I think its very easy to take the effect too far and ruin a shot - I've seen a lot of HDR pictures where the final image looks really cartoony/over processed.

Still, I guess its just down to the personal preference of the person taking the shot as to how far you take it. I did a couple of test shots on my car...

(bit grainy as the pictures were taken with a snap happy digital camera using my knee as a tripod! )

...and I was hoping to find a decent spot to really play around with the effect, but I couldn't find anywhere local that had what I wanted - another job on my "to do" list!

You may have already seen it, but if you get a chance check out this chaps work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckincustoms/

He's recently released a book of his HDR work which I'm trying to get hold of, but some of his shots are truly stunning.
Old 30-04-2010, 12:18 PM
worzel

I agree totally about the cartoony effect and it only works on certain things.

The "grunge" function in photomatix is very weird for sure.

I think it will work well on cars, as you have shown. You do though, as you said, need to find the right location for it.

Thats a very nice HDR shot by the way did you process in photomatix?
Old 30-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
I think it will work well on cars, as you have shown. You do though, as you said, need to find the right location for it.
I was really hoping to find somewhere with some large pieces of (preferably colourful) graffiti as I thought the HDR could really bring the background out. I just haven't been able to find anywhere local thats got what I want, I keep looking out though.

Quote:
Thats a very nice HDR shot by the way did you process in photomatix?
Thanks - more luck then judgment, as the whole thing was done with the camera balanced on my knee! Yep, I used Photomatix and then spent about an hour playing with all the settings.

I've also tried EasyHDR (which was a bit rubbish if I'm honest) and Photoshop CS2 with the relevant HDR plug-in/add on things, but I just couldn't get on with it. I really want to sit down and get to grips with Photoshop as I know theres so much too it, I just never seem to get the time to have a proper look at it!
Old 30-04-2010, 12:47 PM
worzel

I have been looking for the same kind of thing, or something like a derelict factory. There are some streets down in Brighton that are full of graffiti, it's just tracking them down.

I have literally just finished downloading the new CS5 Upgrade and will be playing this afternoon. I really would like to have more time and learn Photoshop as well. My knowledge is very basic in photoshop but I can muddle together some processing.

I have not tried any other HDR packages, not even in photoshop. I'll see what the HDR settings are like in CS5 and report back.

The time drawing ever closer for a photography session somewhere I think, there are lots of people interested in photography on here so it makes sense
Old 30-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have been looking for the same kind of thing, or something like a derelict factory. There are some streets down in Brighton that are full of graffiti, it's just tracking them down.
Haha, snap! I've been looking at derelict ground as well! There are indeed some huge bits of (rather good) graffiti down in Brighton. Annoyingly, despite having some nice wide areas in front of them, some inconsiderate so and so has put loads of metal bollards down which makes parking in front of said graffiti rather awkward (probably to stop idiots with Subaru's parking up and talking pictures of their cars there...).

Quote:
The time drawing ever closer for a photography session somewhere I think, there are lots of people interested in photography on here so it makes sense
This sounds like a good plan!
Old 30-04-2010, 12:59 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Haha, snap! I've been looking at derelict ground as well! There are indeed some huge bits of (rather good) graffiti down in Brighton. Annoyingly, despite having some nice wide areas in front of them, some inconsiderate so and so has put loads of metal bollards down which makes parking in front of said graffiti rather awkward (probably to stop idiots with Subaru's parking up and talking pictures of their cars there...).
There really are some inconsiderate buggers out there, how dare they

We'll have a look into doing something when we get back from the Ring maybe. Theres lots happening before we go, so probably not time to organise it now.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
There really are some inconsiderate buggers out there, how dare they
I know...

Here you go, couldn't remember the name of the road - its Kensington Street.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-...,0.014613&z=16

Use "Street view" and you can move down the road. All the graffiti is behind the recessed parking bays located on the West side of the road, the bay at the Northern end of the road is my fave, some incredible artwork.

Having looked at the street view again I think there might actually be enough room to turn in front of the graffiti walls once you get past those posts...

Quote:
We'll have a look into doing something when we get back from the Ring maybe. Theres lots happening before we go, so probably not time to organise it now.
Sounds cool!
Old 30-04-2010, 01:31 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I know...

Here you go, couldn't remember the name of the road - its Kensington Street.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-...,0.014613&z=16

Use "Street view" and you can move down the road. All the graffiti is behind the recessed parking bays located on the West side of the road, the bay at the Northern end of the road is my fave, some incredible artwork.

Having looked at the street view again I think there might actually be enough room to turn in front of the graffiti walls once you get past those posts...

That looks very cool. It's not too far for me to go and find out who we need to talk to with regards a shoot.

I will look into this for sure. Good find matey
Old 30-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Regular User

Default uncropped for me

i really like the HDR uncropped image.

i'm into the unnatural look however so HDR is very appealing to me.

passion for things is a great motivator.
Old 30-04-2010, 05:26 PM
worzel

Cheers Dean