South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 28-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Crowman

Default New stainless headers

I have just had to buy another header for the scoob.
The headers that i have just removed were old and of poor quality.
This time i have gone for the two peice with the slip joints in the two lengths of tube running from one side to the other,if that makes sense.

The question i have is.
Is it worth heat wrapping them,i did heat wrap the old ones,but its bloody expensive for good grade wrap and its a pain in the arse to do.

I have seen on some of the performance high horsepower scoobs around that they dont bother with wrapping the headers.

Any opinions please,better still any evidence to say for my mildly modded road scoob its worth doing.

Thanks all
Old 28-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New stainless headers

if their not wrapped i'd think they were ceramic coated
mine are wrapped and always will be
Old 28-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Crowman

The thing is CJ am i really going to notice any diference at my stage of tune.

You could well be right about the ceramic coating.
I looked into that and that is fooking expensive too
Old 28-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

If your buying headers then it makes sence to me to wrap them before putting them on and it you not going big bhp why change from OE headers ?
Just port the OE headers if your not going over 350 bhp .
I'm even thinking about going back to them , loss some bhp and pick some torque up in exchange
Old 28-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Crowman

I am around the 330 mark and the diference when i put the headers on was very big.
I was well happy with the performance before the existing headers fooked up,car has always been really responsive and great fun to drive.
I know ported standard headers have there benifits,but mine responded so well to stainless jobbies.

Plain and simply,if i'm not going to see or notice any diference between heat wrapped or not heat wrapped then i not going to bother.
p.s
my standard headers were well fooked by the time i got them off.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

stainless headers are good if you spend the money on very good quality ones. as cj said ported headers up to 350 i have seen very good resualts on ported headers(out of 94 sets i ported so far none come back lol)
def wrap them.(as long as you have no oil leaks)
the only draw back that oil can soke in, fires start.
not sure prices but ceramic coated very expensive!!!

if you do wrap them.
wrap them off the car is easier, soake the wrap in water keep it tight as you can.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Crowman

Hi Jaffa
Yes i did wrap in the end,the set i had on there were 2nd hand and i wrapped them,the weld snapped, i have had them re welded but just wasnt happy putting them back on.

This time i went for a better quality header 3 bolt up pipe and slip joints in bottom sections.
Half a day to wrap them, mainly because im bloody fussy.
All seem really good.

I have heard of good results from your ported standard headers.

Thanks for your reply