South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 30-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Default cam cover gasket leak

noticed my gasket on my cam cover is leaking a bit on the turbo side of the engine. it's dripping on to the down pipe so when I stop in traffic first thing in the morning, I see a little burnt oil smoke in front of my headlight.
It seems to be a very slow leak but I wanna change it sooner rather than later so, 2 questions:-

Are all cam cover gaskets the same on all EJ20 Engines? if not, how do i tell which version heads I have ? as the engine isnt the original.

Can they be changed without removing the engine? I would guess yes but 'm not about to try n pull one off without knowing the answer just in case!
Old 30-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

hi m8,just had my driver side one done,the engine does stay in thank god! this side is common to leak,the mec who done mine got 2 types so he had the right one at hand.best get engine code and match it up to the one,s it could be,then take the one you dont use back for refund,mine cost me £50 fitted and has been sweet since,no more oil burning smell .wayne
Old 30-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

cheers. i'll order both then just in case!
Old 30-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

good luck,a fair bit of room once air box removed,didnt fancy doing it myself,but after taking air box out and pipes out the way and the right spanner might not be to bad.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:17 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

So long as you don't have club hands and various socket, extenstion, swivels to hand etc. Pretty straight forward and quick job. Done my classic a while ago, and a fairly satisfying job once done. good luck