South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 20-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member (formerly Red Devil)

Question suspect headgasket

My97 uk turbo i beleive to have a headgasket failure.

Started my car today after an oil,oil filter and plugs change. I managed to fill the entire road with thick white smoke.

After speaking to a few people i know that are mechanically minded all have said headgasket.
My issue is i have no idea on the condition of the current engine because the previos owner didnt keep any paperwork for it. (Probably because he was a bodging tw*t)

My question is what should i do.

Ie save for a complete rebuild, buy a new(used engine) and just replace the whole lot, change headgasket on my current engine..... the list goes on.

What should i do?
Old 20-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Need to work out which one it is too yet!

For the costs involved I would just throw another engine in, It is not advisable to simply replace a head gasket anyway, nearly everyone recommends rebuilding the bottom end at the same time, for some reason replacing just the head gasket seems to lead to bottom end failure just around the corner afterwards.

I would look to source a complete long engine from one of the reputable breakers and then by a new timing belt kit/oil/filter/coolant and plugs and get someone to swap it in for you.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 20-09-2015, 09:00 PM

Complete long engine? And i could do the work myself (hopefully) also have a few mechanically minded mates to help if i get stuck

Do i need to find a 97 uk turbo for the engine or is there anything else i can use?
Old 20-09-2015, 09:17 PM

I'm not that brushed up on my UK turbos but I think you can work with the long engine from most late classics, I'm sure someone will be a long to advise better than I can.

Old 20-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Well im not going to say anything as i blew my engine but i know a 97/98 uk turbo engine is a straight swap so no need to swap standard ecu as they are both 3 plug and both run purple mafs .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 21-09-2015, 01:56 PM

I have a newage bugeye wrx long block for sale, higher mileage but was going strong before i tapped my car into tyre wall at Good wood, will need a cam belt change as cam belt cover had FMIC pipe pressing against it, has replacement cover.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 21-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajelliott View Post
My97 uk turbo i beleive to have a headgasket failure.

Started my car today after an oil,oil filter and plugs change. I managed to fill the entire road with thick white smoke.

After speaking to a few people i know that are mechanically minded all have said headgasket.
My issue is i have no idea on the condition of the current engine because the previos owner didnt keep any paperwork for it. (Probably because he was a bodging tw*t)

My question is what should i do.

Ie save for a complete rebuild, buy a new(used engine) and just replace the whole lot, change headgasket on my current engine..... the list goes on.

What should i do?

in case it helps ,,, theres a uk2000 long engine on the facebook selling page for £50 atm ,,,, guy has had it sitting under a tarp for a while and wants it gone - hes in warminster , name Stuart Duck ,, sorry dont know how to link as facebook is on my gfs ipad

2005 wrx300 2.0 with ppp - SOLD june 2015

daily driver - new astra 136 elite nav - GONE THANK GOD

DAILY DRIVER 2019 - BMW 220d xdrive active sport

fun - v6 shogun swb - FOR SALE @ April 2019 - £2000
Old 21-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
in case it helps ,,, theres a uk2000 long engine on the facebook selling page for £50 atm ,,,, guy has had it sitting under a tarp for a while and wants it gone - hes in warminster , name Stuart Duck ,, sorry dont know how to link as facebook is on my gfs ipad
At the price i would be looking into getting it stripped and rebuilt as if its been sitting that long under a tarp with no protection .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 21-09-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Ive tried getting hold of him
Old 21-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555_Si View Post
I have a newage bugeye wrx long block for sale, higher mileage but was going strong before i tapped my car into tyre wall at Good wood, will need a cam belt change as cam belt cover had FMIC pipe pressing against it, has replacement cover.
Pm me some details please.
Old 21-09-2015, 06:33 PM

Default suspect headgasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
At the price i would be looking into getting it stripped and rebuilt as if its been sitting that long under a tarp with no protection .

That would cost more than the car is worth..

I would not touch anything that's been sat outside under a tarpaulin.

Simons engine would be a good bet it was still going strong before his off at goodwood

Old 21-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Your need to take your crank cambelt pulley of your old engine and cam pulleys and then it'll be a go as they use different amounts of triggers if you buy Simons engine
Old 21-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Ginola That would cost more than the car is worth.. .

Wish someone told me that before i started

Last edited by scotty; 21-09-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 21-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

how comes its started after an oil and filter /plug change was not doing it before that??? seems like a bit of a coinsidense doesnt it??
Old 21-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Im stumped.... as to why? However im thinking of outting all back together and running it and see what happens