South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 20-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Default About to change the gearbox !

my new gearbox finaly turned up today (2days late) adn the rear diff should be here by the end of the day.
TY752VBCAA

Ive changed them before in other cars so i'm not realy worried about it, but as i'm not gonna be fitting it till the 1st weekend in may, I got time to look up on it, so, 2 questions so far:-

1. the gearbox appears to have 3 sensors. as you look down on it, 1 on the right and 2 on the left. I think the one on the right is speedo, one of the other 2 must be reverse light, but whats the 3rd? the 2 on the left have a black and a white 2-pin connector.

2. Anyone know of any guides/walkthroughs on how 2 change an impreza gearbox? Although i know i can do it, its better if i know any potential tricky bits/issues beforehand rather than find out the hard way!
Old 21-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Neutral switch???
Old 21-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

oh yer, could be, although i didnt know they did that on a manual but a gd idea if thats what it is

Anyways another question, anyone know where i can get hold of a list of diff codes ?
the diff i got sent has 77-kn41 on it and i wanna check that its got a 4.444 ratio the same as the gearbox front diff b4 i go sticking it in
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

at last, got thebox in weekend before last and finished off the propshaft n driveshafts this weekend just gine so i;m back on the road !!!
also fitted a low milage used rear diff

1 slight problem tho. when i corner hard right, theres a slight gravely metal on metal noise noise. all the suspension is tight and i cant see anything lose. once i;ve driven the car for a bit, the noise dont happen.
anyone have any ideas ???

apart from the noise, the car drives just fine
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Regular User

as for the noise thing

take a look at the backing plate behind the discs thay go rusty and when cornering hard or fast you get slight flex

i had this on my old rear brake set. i thought it was a sticky brake pad but when we but brakes and hub on sarahs the noise then started happening on her car, took of hubs cleaned up the disc backing plate and all is good

hope this helps
Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

cheers will have a look at the weekend. gotta admit thats what i thought it was, although i checked and they were clearing the disc, but i didnt know they could flex so i'll have another look.