South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Default thrust bearing or flywheel spigot bearing

got home today and noticed a clutch related noise.
When i press the clutch pedal down all the way, theres a slightly rattly sound from the clutch, sounds like a worn bearing. when i take my foot off the clutch, the sound goes away again.

does this sound like the clutch thrust bearing, or the spigot bearing in the flywheel ?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Bronze Member

Just tell everyone you have a twin plate mate, they'll think it's really cool and you dnt have to worry, possible release bearing
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Crowman

Sounds like thrust bearing mate. My classic was like it for a year or more before I changed the clutch, bit anoying but that's all
Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

Is a thrust bearing and release bearing the same thing or am I missing parts in my new clutch.... Again
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Yes their the same mate
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Bronze Member

Never heard it called a thrust bearing I thought.... **** that's what normally goes in the engine lol. Cheers fella
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Silver Member

sry, thrust bearing i think is the term used on a push clutch, at least thats what it's called on old Land Rovers (What i started learning mechanics on) so I kinda always call it that out of habit !

n cheers for comments, I was thinking the same. at least I know it will last till I get paid n can order a new clutch !!!!
i've found exceedy 3-piece kits for about £160 so i think i'll go for a new one end of the month

it also never made teh sound today. got in this morning n i could sort of hear it a bit on 1st push of the clutch pedal. after that I kept popping it in to neutral when in traffic. when I held teh clutch down every so often, the noise wasnt there.
I think maybe it was the fact I was in quite a lot of traffic last night that made it heat up more than usual or something which made it noisy
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Bronze Member

I still have my old clutch and flywheel if you need it fella, I'll be removing it next week from my engine, may provide a cheap solution.... I.e free solution as you can have it
Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

I have just fitted an exedy organic clutch which was £160 to mine and it bites well
Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Crowman

Ive just had an exedy pink box fitted, anti judder, however it judders like a bugger atthe moment, hoping bed in will reduce that
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyb View Post
I still have my old clutch and flywheel if you need it fella, I'll be removing it next week from my engine, may provide a cheap solution.... I.e free solution as you can have it
you are a diamond, thanks !!!
if its in good knick when you take it off, i'll take you up on that !!
normaly i wouldnt bother with a used clutch cuz i wouldnt want to have to go through changing it again if it didnt last long but knowing what your like for keeping your car in good condition, its more than likely almost as good as new !

does anyone know if it will fit my car though? my engine is a V2 STI-RA engine. a bit of searching on car parts suppliers for clutches shows that the clutches after 96 were a bit bigger than pre-96.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

No worries matey, I'll remove it and get some pics, if you use my flywheel I'm sure it'd fit fella maybe a tech guru could shed some light.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

thanks, did a little more research on the net n have seen that some people with earlier cars (225mm clutch) often fit the flywheel and clutch from a later car (230mm) so the flywheel must still fit !
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Authorised Trader

flywheel is identical between 225 or 230mm cars...........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Ive just had an exedy pink box fitted, anti judder, however it judders like a bugger atthe moment, hoping bed in will reduce that
Shouldn't judder, is it a 4 spring centre plate or 6 spring? They used to have problems with the 4 spring juddering so they brought out the 6 spring plate to cure it iirc.
Mark at Lateral wouldn't sell me one when I changed mine because of this problem hence the reason I used the Helix organic. Hopefully by now they have cured that problem though!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Nice so gearbox out again Andy..??? Give me a shout if you need a little help mate..
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

cheers, may need your help !!!
not sure yet if i;m gona tackle it on the road at home yet though.
we're off to ireland for a family thing soon so if it's still holding up, i'm gonna drive there and use the girlfriends dad's garage to do it as he has a vehicle inspection pit n lift n stuf that I can use.
am lucky krissyb had his old one still cuz the f'in ferry had just been booked n paid for n it cost me £260 to get us n the car over there !!!