South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 29-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Default BBC F1 coverage cut

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9550930.stm

What i can say,just bloody ....... rip off from BBC..

I'm not happy bunny at all.

Jura
Old 29-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

yep bbc1 only showing half the races,just looked on sky and it says they will be showing the race live in full with no adverts during the race so thats something
Old 29-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Bronze Member

I'm hoping that the money Bernie has made from this deal will help him to make ends meet. He is obviously struggling for cash. He said a little while back that the most important thing for him was to ensure the fans get the best experience (or something to that effect) which for me is on the BBC. I guess the Beeb has to spend too much money bringing us such delights as weightlifting and canoe sprinting at the olympics.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:01 AM
worzel

It's a real shame that BBC have lost half of the Grand Prix. They have done a brilliant job since getting it back from that shower of **** ITV!

If Sky are true to their word and have no adverts during the race, then it may well work. I would think it was part of the conditions after the complete arse up that ITV made of things.

In fairness, Sky do produce sport really well. Their A1 GP coverage from a few years ago was very good. And at least BBC do get to air "extensive highlights" what ever that may mean.

My only hope is that the Sky broadcast team is as good as the BBC team. They are really good (minus Eddie "to be sure" Jordan of course )
Old 29-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

What a step backwards. Back in the 1970s and 80s we used to get highlights, and I had to make sure I didn't hear the result until they were shown - what a pain.

I'll never pay for a Sky sub - huge amount to give away to the Murdochs.

Not a happy bunny
Old 29-07-2011, 10:03 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRS View Post
I'll never pay for a Sky sub - huge amount to give away to the Murdochs.

It's a good excuse to go to the pub to watch it then mate
Old 29-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
It's a good excuse to go to the pub to watch it then mate
I thought pub TV's were somehow programmed to only show football, no matter how low a division over anything else.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Guys,but you are still don't understand,what will be with people which don't have SKY,i'm not preparing pay for SKY money.I'm all ready paying for BBC licence.

For people which have SKY,yes its OK,but not for us which don't have SKY.

That's my point.

Jura
Old 29-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

£200M I believe BBC paid for a 5 yr period for F1 which was £50M more than ITV bid.

I've spent much time researching into how much Bernie E pays the teams and figures from a supposed reliable source within F1 said that £16M is paid out at every race for Pole position / Fastest Lap of weekend and the first three across the line although values to each item was not revealed.

You can see how the likes of Williams / Ferrari & Mclaren have such lavish HQ's when you work out just how much those 3 teams have earned over the years!.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jura11 View Post
Guys,but you are still don't understand,what will be with people which don't have SKY,i'm not preparing pay for SKY money.I'm all ready paying for BBC licence.

For people which have SKY,yes its OK,but not for us which don't have SKY.

That's my point.

Jura
I do get the point, however I don't think the only downside here is the potential cost for those choosing to get Sky in order to watch the coverage. Personally I don't like the way Sky produce any of their content. I find their news broadcasts and the sport I have seen through them (forced to watch football at brother in-laws house) to be tacky at best, although that is only my perspective.

I have Sky, but only because where I live we cannot get a clear Freeview signal and so in order to watch even BBC1, 2, ITV and C4 we have to have Satellite. As such I only have a basic package with limited channels and no sport given I have no interest in anything they currently show. I can't see myself paying however much more to have a million sport channels purely to get the F1 every couple of weeks.

When the changeover happens we will of course have a better idea of the outcome and if by all reports the Sky coverage turns out to be as good or better than it is currently then I may be tempted. For whatever reason I just can't see it being that good though.
Old 29-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Rubbish decision

I suppose its a positive if Sky agree to broadcast without adverts during the race, but its still a step backwards.

I'm expecting Sky to be making some big money offers to Martin Brundle, Jake Humphrey and Eddie Jordan considering they've got more coverage rights and more £££....
Old 29-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmarts View Post
I do get the point, however I don't think the only downside here is the potential cost for those choosing to get Sky in order to watch the coverage. Personally I don't like the way Sky produce any of their content. I find their news broadcasts and the sport I have seen through them (forced to watch football at brother in-laws house) to be tacky at best, although that is only my perspective.

I have Sky, but only because where I live we cannot get a clear Freeview signal and so in order to watch even BBC1, 2, ITV and C4 we have to have Satellite. As such I only have a basic package with limited channels and no sport given I have no interest in anything they currently show. I can't see myself paying however much more to have a million sport channels purely to get the F1 every couple of weeks.

When the changeover happens we will of course have a better idea of the outcome and if by all reports the Sky coverage turns out to be as good or better than it is currently then I may be tempted. For whatever reason I just can't see it being that good though.
Agreed on your points,but still one thing missing,if can SKY have full coverage why can't have BBC too full coverage.

I was watch few times SKY news,where has been too Adverts,which i hate i rather watch BBC News...

Jura
Old 29-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Here is interesting article

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93455

Jura
Old 29-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Its all just one big advertising billboard and has nothing to do with 'Real' motorsport, hence why I do not spend valuable time watching it.

Ask me to name the driver's and I could probably name 3, maybe 5 at a push.
Ask me again what team and what engine they use and you've lost me.......

More Air-time for british motorsport and european rallycross is whats needed.
Old 29-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Its all just one big advertising billboard and has nothing to do with 'Real' motorsport, hence why I do not spend valuable time watching it.

Ask me to name the driver's and I could probably name 3, maybe 5 at a push.
Ask me again what team and what engine they use and you've lost me.......

More Air-time for british motorsport and european rallycross is whats needed.
What i can say on this...

"Pure" Motorsport has died few years back and not sure if will be again like has been few years back.

British Motorsport is not valuable for most TV,because there is nothing to watch(its not mine view)...
European Rallycross etc i watch this in Czech Republic everytime,because there has been on public TV(or state TV),here is not possible,because as i said,who will be watch(few k people,maybe 1 million)

Jura
Old 29-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Partly agree, partly disagree.

Yes, the whole F1 circus is driven by sponsors and media. But this years season has seen some truely excellent racing. And that's despite Vettel running off into the distance and hiding.

I wouldn't miss a race at the moment, the BBC coverage has been excellent since they took over from ITV and its a good watch.

More coverage for rallying is definately needed, but the whole sport needs a shake-up, not just the coverage!
Old 29-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Nige

Every one should watch it. There's 2 English guy's with a car built here giving it all they have. Unlike football we are bloody good at F1. Just my 2p worth.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Got to say itll be nice to watch something without any adverts for a change
Old 29-07-2011, 05:23 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Once again, its the fans that suffer. Unless you have sky sports, which to be fair I know alot of people that have cut back and had to ditch the full package, then you wont get to see it 'properly'. Sky hacked me off a long time ago with continuing price increases and crap service if you ever ring them, but they have the monopoly, so at the moment we have no choice.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:28 PM

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-F...49121281832578

And a petitions started already, wonder how many signatures this will get....
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc
Old 29-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Sky+ Hd and i still wont watch it..... YAWN

Sorry i fell off just thinking about F1
Old 29-07-2011, 08:09 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-F...49121281832578

And a petitions started already, wonder how many signatures this will get....
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc
Signed. Just hope they listen. Not that they will.
Old 29-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Signed. Just hope they listen. Not that they will.
They will not listen,they only listen of talking of money...

FTA broadcast of sports will end and will begin new era of Pay per view.

Jura
Old 29-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
Sorry i fell off just thinking about F1
Now, now, be nice; not everyone has realised its the dullest form of motorsport yet...

...back on topic I'm not sure if the BBC is deserving of all the scorn thats being poured upon them. Its Ecclestone who has decided to allow viewing the full F1 calendar as the few rather than the masses, so I think the finger should be pointed straight at him.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Now, now, be nice; not everyone has realised its the dullest form of motorsport yet...

...back on topic I'm not sure if the BBC is deserving of all the scorn thats being poured upon them. Its Ecclestone who has decided to allow viewing the full F1 calendar as the few rather than the masses, so I think the finger should be pointed straight at him.
Agreed on this,but Bernie has all ready said,its all about the money,nothing else and nothing less.

Teams(FOTA) maybe will be protesting,but until Bernie will said,you will get more money and we are again in the ......

Jura
Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Regular User

Don't think they are going to be changing their minds about this new deal so we will be stuck with it like it or not no matter how long or hard we the paying public protest (BBC Lincence payers that it, so all of us really) as it is now a done deal and anyway they would rather have the golf or some other lesser sport on the BEEB as it is easy to set up and not going to cost them a lot to produce...just a thought.

However, the Sky switch may be a good thing depending on who they get to front it and what the coverage is like. I have read that there will not be any ad breaks so thats a bonus for a start and they will also cover practice and qualifying.
The BEEB do this already but only on the red button and if they is nothing else of interest such as tiddly winks on from the arse end of the world instead.
Also I have heard that this is only being done due to the BEEB having to cut costs by 20 per cent so why not lose the tennis/golf/swimming/athletics or god forbid football instead and keep the F1 as many of the teams and drivers etc are based in the UK. Just a thought!