South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Actuator adjustment

which way do you adjust to increase boost???
if I unclip the rod what am I looking for??? what should it feel like where should it rest...

not happy with the performance...it feels nice but to me should be faster

spec
polar chipped ecu
TDO5
KnN induction
full decat and up pipe
blitz delete pipe

now if there around 260ish standard...id expect 20bhp hike atleast???
0.8bar standard 1.1bar on this ecu...flowing exhaust loosing them bloody great cats!!...shorly the car would be quite abit faster???

my evo every time I upgraded I felt the difference...

now the catch is I haven't got a boost gauge yet...hence I want to know where the actuator rod should be...I reckon it isn't set correct..
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

had to adjust mine a few months ago as it was set wrong. pop the clip off the wastegate peg and pull the actuator rod off that end.
the actuator rod should be shorter so that it keeps some pressure on the waste gate to hold it closed. Answers on the net seem to vary on how much shorter but if you adjust it so that you can only see half of the wastegate peg that the actuator rod clips on to, that should be about right. You then just pull the actuator rod out a little to push the end over the peg and put the clip back on.

mine has an eclipse performance chip which is also raises the boost to 1.1 bar and this was how I set mine and I noticed it was a little more lively after as the rod had previously been set too long meaning the wastegate opened a little early before.
Don't make the rod any shorter than that otherwise you may overboost and get fuel cut and headbut your steering wheel. Didn't experience that myself but I have heard that's what can happen if you make it too short
Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

the peg on mine when unclipped is loose just spins?? should that valve have tension??
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

no it should be lose with the actuator rod disconnected. you should be able to rotate that peg to fully open and fully close the waste gate. didn't measure how far it spins but I would guess no more than 90degrees.
Its the actuator rod being a little too short which provides the tension to hold the waste gate closed. that's why it is to be adjusted half a hole short as above

Last edited by andy-m; 09-10-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
no it should be lose with the actuator rod disconnected. you should be able to rotate that peg to fully open and fully close the waste gate. didn't measure how far it spins but I would guess no more than 90degrees.
Its the actuator rod being a little too short which provides the tension to hold the waste gate closed. that's why it is to be adjusted half a hole short as above
ok your a star...thanks iv adjusted it as the rod had no tension...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEVO3 View Post
ok your a star...thanks iv adjusted it as the rod had no tension...
that's exactly how mine was when I got the car so you should definitely find the engine a little more responsive now.