South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 15-05-2013, 03:04 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default What shocks?

I have noticed that the front of the car, despite being very low is very soft at the front(i.e. feels a bit bouncy). If you push on the corner it doesn't just bounce back and settle, it rocks a couple of times, (reminds me of american police cars in car chases lol), so I am thinking the shocks need doing.

Any recommendations in what to get??
Old 15-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Scott has the Prodrive Bilsteins on his and really rates them, but think they're rare to find.

I had the same problem on mine - when removed, they didn't return at even speeds after a compression, and one of them didn't return at all. Went with KYB Ultra SR shocks and a new set of springs, difference was huge.

Camskill are a good place to get them from, probably looking at £300-400 for a set of 4.
Old 15-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I may be able to get Billies but for around £650 a set.
KYB AGX adjustables are also around the £650 mark, but I found these too hard even on the soft setting, on Eibach springs.
The billies are a different league compared to the KYB's though, as they use inverted 40mm inserts and are re-buildable.
Old 15-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Or I maybe changing my tein super streets for something else so will be up for grabs soon for less than that

Last edited by C. J.; 15-05-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 15-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Authorised Trader

Scott if you have the Bilstein part numbers i'll ask my factory guy on deals available.............

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 15-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
Scott if you have the Bilstein part numbers i'll ask my factory guy on deals available.............
Will do Alyn, when the set I have arranged for Duncan arrive........
I'm also going to try and get the ratings off the shocks, which I am lead to believe are marked at the top of the 40mm insert, to ask (or maybe you can) bilstein what the preferred spring rates are for them.

Where are the part numbers, are they stamped on the strut as I may be able to read that off mine which are on the car without disassembling the top mounts.
Actually IIRC they may be on a label on the rear. Will have a look.......
Old 15-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Blistein shocks are the way ahead ive got them on my98 classic . Had a look at mine when I had alloys off and they are sti blistein but now cant get alloys off anymore to give them a proper wash as locking key has snapped lol
Old 16-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Authorised Trader

the shocks are normallt on the strut itself as that is the "assembly" number, the top of insert may also be marked but obviously just refers itself

as for springs i am in protracted discussions to hopefully have an Eibach "special" which will be as near to the P1 kit as we can get without infringing any copyright or political boundaries...............

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 16-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
the shocks are normallt on the strut itself as that is the "assembly" number, the top of insert may also be marked but obviously just refers itself

as for springs i am in protracted discussions to hopefully have an Eibach "special" which will be as near to the P1 kit as we can get without infringing any copyright or political boundaries...............
Would it be possible to get close to the P1 spec but lower the ride height to similar to the tein stech ?
I have just tried P1 springs on bilstein and although the handling had less roll then the teins (which I fitted a week earlier) the ride height was too similar to my previous eibach sportlines to warrant keeping the P1 springs.
The P1 front ride height was exactly the same and the rear was only 7mm less, hence I switched back to the S-Tech.
The S-Tech are 15mm lower on the front and 25mm lower on the back compared to the Eibach sportlines, but due to their softer rating are actually taller/longer when compared off the car, then the P1 Eibach's
I would want the matched spring (or as close as) to the Bilstein which I think is the 'WR Prodrive' spring provided as an option from 1998 to 2000 on the Bilstein suspension upgrade (Page 12 of : http://www.subaru-impreza.org/downlo...F%20MANUAL.pdf)

Perhaps we need to find the spec of the wr springs ?
I have swapped broken ones of these on a friends 1998 WR Spec car, for s-tech teins and the ride height was pretty much the same, although the ride firmness ended up a touch softer, which would make sense when you see the Tein stech spring rates of 179/179lbft.

Last edited by Scott.T; 16-05-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Silly phone fingers.....and to add more detail
Old 16-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Authorised Trader

i think thats the kit i meant to be fair........................

as for specs, i have to commit to 50x sets so not exactly a minor task / commitment, hence the on-going discussions

online shop!!
Old 16-05-2013, 08:35 PM

WR Spec springs would be great, even finding out the spec's would be a step in the right direction.

The P1 Prodrive Red Eibachs are probably matched to the Red P1 shocks which I think are 40mm inverted KYB's rather then the Bilsteins.
The P1 guy's want them as I think now their 13+ years old the original fitted by Prodrive are snapping. Although they may also consider the WR spec ones if they know they lower it a touch.
Old 16-05-2013, 08:53 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

woosh......... straight over my head!!! Ok so Blistiens sound good but dear'ish. Will look into KYB's too but at the end of the day I want to do it right. And Chris, if you decide to sell, let me know. Wont be looking to do anything until July time. Gotta save the pennies.
Old 31-05-2013, 11:45 PM

I had new KYB's and new Eibach springs with whiteline drop links fitted to my old wagon, after someone recommended the setup, they drop the car about 15mm from standard, not very much but enough to set the car off.

The above transformed the car, It handled amazingly well, not too stiff for our bumpy B roads as alot of setups can be... (my coilovers on my newage for starters!)
Add a set of camber bolts for the rear and with a full Geo setup in a classic you are living the dream in my opinion., anything stiffer is compromised on our crappy roads.

I still think that wagon handled better than my current car, I certainly had more confidence pushing on up twisty welsh mountain roads.

Speak soon!

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 31-05-2013 at 11:48 PM.