South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 06-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post

Id quite like one of these, the nuts and bolts I have to get undone have knackered heads and won't be reused so the angle grinder is going to be my friend for the next job.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Well post Germany trip and after the issue on the Autobahn on the way home I am pleased to say all is back to normal.

The lower bolt hole on the calliper has a very damaged thread, and after an inspection and trying to tighten another bolt in to it it's fair to say it's in need of repair. After reaching only a small amount of torque upon tightening the bolt slipped off the remaining threads and went loose again, shows why I ended up in the situation in Germany.

The pics give a small indication of how things look.

I was fortunate to have another front calliper in the garage which needed a bit of tlc, the bleed nipples needed some patience to free up but I got there in the end. Biggest issue with the spare was the poor condition of the dust seals

It was at this point Ryan came to my rescue with a new set of seals and dust covers which he sent to me on a super fast delivery service for a very very very good price, massive thanks my man, total life saver!

So got cleaning and fitting the new kit to make the callipers fit for use.

Then spent today in the rain getting everything switched over and fitted. Happy to say all is working well and back to normal. I will get the damaged calliper off for repair and try to clean it up a bit.

Thanks again for everyone's help on the side of the road, Si & Jo for sticking with me the whole way home at a somewhat dull pace and Ryan for sorting the seals and dust covers in super quick time to get back on the road!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM

Looks epic mate

Uve done a great job there and glad everything is back to normal now

My going rate is currently a bag of Haribo

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I know a man that can helicoil those if you need it done. He owes me a favour and has previously done E's.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

standard that..poxy things had a couple helicoiled myself, who thought it would be clever to mix ally and steel together in the first place when fitting the calipers!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Good job there Rob

Glad its sorted and you're back on the road. At least it happened on the way home and not on the way out there (or during a lap!)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Good job there Rob

Glad its sorted and you're back on the road. At least it happened on the way home and not on the way out there (or during a lap!)
During a lap, I can only imagine... So pleased that never happened!

What direction are you going with your car Steve or is it a case of putting it in the garage and worrying about it another day?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
What direction are you going with your car Steve or is it a case of putting it in the garage and worrying about it another day?
Doesn't seem to have lost any more coolant on the way home so i'll probably get it sniff tested and replace the header tank cap with a new one. Then book a local trackday as cheap as possible to see whether the problem happens again or not. It drives fine on the road as it never gets as hot as a track, so in no rush to pull the engine at the moment.

But yeah, she went in the garage when we got back tuesday evening and hasn't been started since. Even washed the Mondeo this weekend instead of the scoob
Old 12-06-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Even washed the Mondeo this weekend instead of the scoob
I'd slap you in the face but I cant be bothered to get up after cleaning both cars

Also did some minor changes to combat overheating issues on my return, dropped and replaced the 2 week old motul oil too

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

You could always get the front calipers painted Brembo Red send them up to me and i send you down my brembos

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem to have lost any more coolant on the way home so i'll probably get it sniff tested and replace the header tank cap with a new one. Then book a local trackday as cheap as possible to see whether the problem happens again or not. It drives fine on the road as it never gets as hot as a track, so in no rush to pull the engine at the moment.

But yeah, she went in the garage when we got back tuesday evening and hasn't been started since. Even washed the Mondeo this weekend instead of the scoob
Sounds a bit like mine when I only had the minor HG leak, I'm guessing bubbles in the overflow bottle?
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 13-06-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Sounds a bit like mine when I only had the minor HG leak, I'm guessing bubbles in the overflow bottle?
Yeah, when hot and for a short while after switching engine off. The hose blows a bubble out into the expansion bottle every couple of seconds. It does look like HG, but i thought for the price of a cap it was worth trying first? Sniff test might confirm anyway
Old 13-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Sniff tests are not 100% but should give an idea - I left mine a year before doing anything about it.

Good excuse to consider a 2.1 stroker or just a forged upgrade on your existing engine though! Or just drop an STi bottom end in from a good breaker
Old 13-07-2016, 07:52 PM

Another update and it's good news for those of you who were a little upset at staring at my awful boot lid, especially Si and Jo on the way back from Germany!

Whilst I was enjoying the sun in Portugal I had a message from Scotty to say he had found a boot lid in the right colour, somewhat of a holy grail as we have found over the last year. I had to have it and Scotty had already contacted the guy to say we wanted it and could we have some pictures.

Moments after he had posted on the forum Ryan (who knew I was away) had offered his services to help with getting it sorted for me, between him and Scotty they traded contact with the seller and kept me in the loop.

I was desperate to get it paid for and have it held for me to pick up once I got back to the UK but the guy only wanted cash on collection, I wasn't certain he would wait for me and in stepped Ryan to save the day.

He had organised with the seller that he could travel up on Saturday and collect and pay for it on my behalf, so in a non stop down pour (from what I was told whilst in the 30 degree sun) he travelled the 3 hours up to Grantham to meet with a guy in a shed to purchase my replacement lid and bring it back on the back seats of the Audi.

Between Scott and Ryan they have shown what this forum is all about, working together to help out fellow Scoob enthusiasts when and where they can. It's great to know how far people are willing to go in this group to support one another despite the huge distances as it was at the weekend between all of us involved.

Thanks to Scotty for keeping an eye out these last few months for an 18L Sti lid and being so quick to contact the seller.

Big big thanks of course to Ryan who worked hard contacting and organising the purchase, always keeping me in the loop and ultimately spending 7 hours of his Saturday travelling up to the guy to pick it up and bring it back South, a true gent and top lad, good work my man and again THANK YOU!

Spent most of today cleaning the replacement lid, swapping them over and re-fitting the spoiler, which is more of a pain in the arse job then I thought!

The before shot, not looking great...

Cleaning up the replacement

Spoiler removed from the original boot

Replacement boot in place

Spoiler back on

And a bit of beading too

So now the car will be looking more presentable for Beaulieu at the end of the month, a cracking day out and I can't wait.
Old 13-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Firstly mate - credit to Scotty as u say for the find and liasing with me and the chap to get it sorted

Secondly - u are more than welcome - I may not be any good with a spanner but I'll always help ANYBODY out where I can

Thirdly - what an epic job uve done there! Can't believe how bad ur other boot was once the spoiler came off!! That rust!!! And what a job you've done cleaning up the new one and fitting it all!

Beading is epic and can't wait to see it in the flesh

Great job buddy !

&
Old 13-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Nice one
Old 13-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Looks great and it's always good to see people prepared to go the extra mile (many in this case!) to help people.

I've benefited from this and tried to help out where I can. I've seen this more with Subaru owners than anywhere else.

Like you Ryan, I'm not much help with mechanical items, but amongst other things I've bought and posted parts to the US for some fellow Forester owners and the weirdest was arranging for another forum member to take a part in his luggage and then courier it in the States as it was cheaper than sending from here!
Old 13-07-2016, 10:00 PM

Nice one! Must get on and do this to mine, looks like a spot on job too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 13-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Awesome stuff guys. Looking lovely too Rob
Old 13-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to help other members out when i can looks so much better .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 13-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
Nice one! Must get on and do this to mine, looks like a spot on job too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been looking for a decent one for a while just not found the right one yet .

Old 14-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Gold Member

spot on you lot..looks so much better know rob!!

scotty ...thanks for the private message aswell mate,having afew issues replying via facebook at mo.
Old 14-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Nice one guys, especially Ryan, top fella driving half way up the country for another member

Looks like the spoiler was bonded to the old bootlid around the bolt holes rather than just sealant? Always surprising how bad they get under there. New one looks good though mate Did you do anything to seal the new one where the paint is missing underneath to try and stop the same thing happening in the future?
Old 14-07-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Did you do anything to seal the new one where the paint is missing underneath to try and stop the same thing happening in the future?

Ryan gave me some rubber washers for each bolt where it sits up against the boot. Will see how they go at keeping water out but I also have some black sealant at the ready if needed.
Old 14-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Ryan gave me some rubber washers for each bolt where it sits up against the boot. Will see how they go at keeping water out but I also have some black sealant at the ready if needed.
Hoping the washers will suffice Mr Wob... They did on mine - I had a washer on the top, one underneath, and then the metal one to hold all in place..

Ryan

&
Old 18-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Great story this, nice one lads! Really need to get mine sorted... scary how bad that looked once u took it off. Dread to think what mine will look like
Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Small bit of news today, some new shiny bits arrived! Spending some hard earned cash as the rear KYB shocks, after just 3 years, have started knocking.

Will be a while before I can get fitted and set up, have a few other car bits to sort too but I have got some pics.

They are ST XTA's, made by KW in Germany only with galvanised/plated steel bodies.

I have read some good reviews on them and many comment on how good they are at dealing with UK roads as well as track. The proof is in the pudding so we shall see...

Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Shiny bits
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Mint .

Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Look good, part of me doesn't want to sell mine having seen the new Godspeed Brembo setup for 17" wheels. It's about 25% of the value of the car but I don't care.
Surprised the KYBs are knocking already.
Old 13-08-2016, 06:00 AM

Awesome buddy

&
Old 13-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Very nice
Old 13-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome
Old 13-08-2016, 01:30 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Looking good. The car is taking shape nicely mate.
Old 13-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Cars coming along nicely, looks great
Old 14-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Another small step forward today, I have replaced the nuts, bolts and washers that control the rear toe. When I had an alignment before Germany the bolts were ceased solid and the toe couldn't be adjusted. A few hours with the grinder, hammer and spanners and I managed to get the old crap off.

I still have plenty of work to do on the rear subframe and bits to replace and tidy up, I am glad to have finally made a start though.

Old 14-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Some nice bits and bobs going on there.

Should have quite a positive impact on how she handles.
Old 14-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Good job fella

&
Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 PM

More changes have occurred!

Had a free day to get the ST suspension on the car, alignment is booked for next week so hoping for some good results.

In the limited miles I have done in the car since the change from the old, clonking, knocking suspension (anyone interested in some Eibach lowering springs by the way...) I have been presently surprised by the compliant feel of the car, better then a jumpy, solid feeling rear end anyway!

Once alignment has been properly sorted and I have everything set up and settled I can give more of a review on what my efforts and hard earned cash have produced.

If anything they look the part at least, although I don't have many pics.

Old stuff...

New stuff...

Old 06-09-2016, 07:18 PM

Looking good as always buddy

&
Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Think I saw you coming down the A26 from Five Ash Down this morning, every time I see you in the morning you're going in a different direction. Wasn't driving so couldn't flash you.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Think I saw you coming down the A26 from Five Ash Down this morning, every time I see you in the morning you're going in a different direction. Wasn't driving so couldn't flash you.

I do seem to drive to work in many directions, mainly to make sure the car gets properly warmed up before I arrive, as my journey isn't that long! I'm pretty oblivious to most people and cars at that time of day!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Tutt Tutt. A wasted opportunity to get those arches undersealed and painted out black.......slacker !!!!

Nice shocks though and we need to talk about plated fastenings
Old 06-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Tutt Tutt. A wasted opportunity to get those arches undersealed and painted out black.......slacker !!!!

Nice shocks though and we need to talk about plated fastenings

I'd love to spend some time on the arches, especially with winter approaching. If I'm honest I wouldn't know where to start and quite how to go about it...

As for plated fastenings, I could be your man.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM

It's been nearly 6 months since anything exciting has happened to the Scoob, other then being endlessly covered in road grime and then washed every other weekend! As it is my Birthday on Saturday (nudge) I thought I would treat myself a little early and take it to see Rich at FB Tuning for some tweakage.

Rich wrapped and fitted a full length de-cat downpipe, installed a 3 port boost solenoid and spent an hour or so behind the wheel mapping it and freeing it from its standard tune. Unfortunately the neutral position switch on the gearbox wasn't in the greatest of health and has meant the car is at around 90% of what it can achieve, so I need to replace that and have the map tweaked at some point to unleash the cars full potential.

A pretty pants journey home on the M25 (thanks power lines over the M23!) meant I spent most of my first journey in the now gruntier Scoob at a pretty slow pace, but it certainly feels a lot more punchier and noisier compared to how it did.

Another bonus was being able to test out the seats in Rich's S203 whilst he was busy spannering, tasty car and far too good to see the salty UK roads in winter so he wisely keeps it tucked away.

Rich offered plenty of advice and was happy to assist with anything that needed looking at on the car, top man!

Next job, source and fit the NPS...
Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 PM

Great little update mate

NPS is easy to source - mine was the same after he who shall not be named mapped it the first time

Glad the car feels better and can't wait to hear it now...

Should be called black beasty now!

&
Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Next job, source and fit the NPS...
Importcarparts stock them and can deliver next day or speak to alyn at asp .

Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 View Post
Should be called black beasty now!

Beauty and the beast you mean

Old 02-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Rome wasn't built in a day enjoy 90% for now