South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 14-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Bronze Member

Default Power Steering Pump 03 STI

Hello,

Can anyone help me with where to get a power steering pump for a 2003 Impreza STI?

I noticed some juddering the other day turning at low speed which got worse on my way home. Also a whine from engine area which I assumed was PS.

PS fluid was low so I topped it up, fluid has deminished again over the last couple of days, whine back and juddering started again.

Have check all the hoses & joins with no obvious leaks so I am assuming this is the pump itself that has gone!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
James
Old 14-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Try east Kent Subaru in Canterbury they may have one
Old 14-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamina View Post
PS fluid was low so I topped it up, fluid has deminished again over the last couple of days, whine back and juddering started again.
After topping up the fluid did the whining and juddering stop temporarily then return once the fluid had gone low again?

Assume once you topped the system up you cycled the steering from lock to lock several times and checked the level afterwards?

Id be surprised if you had a leak yet nothing obvious was showing, the fluid would have to be leaking from somewhere to have disappeared as the pump would necessarily consume the fluid if it was bad.
Old 14-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112744082043

Is this what I need or am I simplifying it a bit and need a very specific part. ICP are selling a brand new pump @£600 too which seems like a big jump
Old 14-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

Yes that’s exactly what happened.

Yes I did that and no obvious reduction.

I’m guessing it’s leaking via the pump as that’s the only bit I can’t see clearly. Maybe I should take it out and have a look? Is that the best way to see if that’s the root cause?
Old 14-03-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamina View Post
Yes that’s exactly what happened.

Yes I did that and no obvious reduction.

I’m guessing it’s leaking via the pump as that’s the only bit I can’t see clearly. Maybe I should take it out and have a look? Is that the best way to see if that’s the root cause?
Id say it's best to check every pipe/connection/component as best you can before removing the pump itself with a view to replacing it.

If the noises stopped when there was enough fluid and the steering felt normal during this time its safe to say the pump is at least functioning correctly. Check the cooler pipe for the power steering at the front of the car (in front of rad) is not leaking too, as well as under the reservoir.
Old 14-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Checking for leaks again as it seems much mor logical from your explanation.

Is this anything to worry about. It’s located under the reservoir?

Thanks!
Old 14-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46D11EDB-248C-4B7F-B437-3DD95F98BDB5.jpg (129.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

It feeds into the cooler pipe, maybe it’s a perished seal?
Old 15-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Check the steering rack boots - the leak could be from the rack into the boots and be staying 'sealed' but in the wrong place.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-03-2019, 02:04 PM

Mine sprung a leak from one of the pipes into the rack itself, tightened up and has been fine since, as Rob stated earlier it has to be going somewhere.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.