South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Regular User

Default Looking at a 2008 WRX STI hatch but it's had 2 engine replacements.. Am I mad?

So after the lovely guys at Gatwick Valet Parking blew the engine on my GC8 turbo, I've been looking to get that burble back in my life.

Currently looking at a 2008 WRX STI hatch with 90k on the clock however it's had 3 engines in it's relatively short life! Apparently the first one developed bottom end knocking so was replaced under warranty, then the replacement also had issues so was replaced again under warranty. That was back in jan 2018 and it's done 10k miles since then.

Should I be worried? If there are no funny noises now, no signs of issues, should the previous 2 engines concern me? I feel they should but then the latest engine is a new one from Subaru and as long as it's been treated well (I would wrap it in cotton wool if I'd already blown 2 previous engines) then it shouldn't be an issue? I know the EJ25 engines suffer from ringland failure. Is there any way to check for that on a test drive? I know you can do compression tests, keep an eye on the oil over a long period of time but anything on a 30 minute inspection drive? Is it so common? The videos I see on youtube would have me think 90% of them are failing! Any idea on the estimated cost on pulling the engine and replacing the pistons if a problem is found?

Anything else specific to look for on the '08 WRX STI hatches? Startup rattle, ongoing rattle, blue smoke.. Anything else?

Thanks for any advice!
Mike.

Last edited by mike_on_the_mike; 03-05-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Only 3, that must be a good one then.
Known issue with the hatch, some of it due to the poor knock control settings in the standard map. It listens for knock over a very narrow band.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Nige

My 2008 STI had three engines the last one however was forged. Gearbox was on its way out,front seat had snapped one of the rails. Just poor build quality much worse than my Bugeye & my Hawkeye. There ugly as foook hence mine was commonly knows as FUGLEY.
One of the best fun cars I’ve owned they handle so well.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Known engine issues with the 2.5
Generally ringland failure . Piston wear . Knock knock new engine.
Budget for a rebuild at some point . Good thing about them is they are getting cheap for what you get. Normal advice is go for a jdm version with the 2 litre engine but they fetch a premium
Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

The 2.5 is a great road engine but needs mapping (for safety) even as standard. Unlike the other engines I'd go with forging as the first mod then bolt ons to up power after! They are safe up to around 450/450 when forged.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 04-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil97rs View Post
Known engine issues with the 2.5
Generally ringland failure . Piston wear . Knock knock new engine.
Budget for a rebuild at some point . Good thing about them is they are getting cheap for what you get. Normal advice is go for a jdm version with the 2 litre engine but they fetch a premium

common misconception that the JDM 2.0 is 'better' but from 2003> they use the same Hyperpeutic casting process for the pistons and potentially suffer the same ringland issues............

have built / forged many 2.0JDM cars for this reason over the years

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecB View Post
The 2.5 is a great road engine but needs mapping (for safety) even as standard. Unlike the other engines I'd go with forging as the first mod then bolt ons to up power after! They are safe up to around 450/450 when forged.
The ecu tune is very different on 2006/2007 2.5 Hawkeye compared to the hatch. I was shocked when I saw the poor knock control implementation in the hatch. It may aswell be deaf.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Regular User

Ha ha may as well be deaf... Brilliant