South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 27-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

Default ISA

Just seen on the news that all new cars sold in the UK from 2022 will have Intelligent Speed Assistance. This will be a system to automatically stop you exceeding the speed limit,but as I understand can be over ridden in an emergency. Spunds dangerous to me.
Old 27-03-2019, 09:21 AM
Authorised Trader

and when (how) will 'big brother' decide its an emergency??

just another reason to keep an old classic on the road.......

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 27-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I thought it was an EU idea - so more power to the Brexit campaign!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 27-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

Sorry to disappoint Nick,but UK has said it will adopt whatever the result of Brexit. Better all pre order our 2021 cars.
Old 27-03-2019, 12:33 PM

But I thought Brexit meant Brexit - or have I missed something - like the last 3 wasted years!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 27-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Just seen on the news that all new cars sold in the UK from 2022 will have Intelligent Speed Assistance. This will be a system to automatically stop you exceeding the speed limit,but as I understand can be over ridden in an emergency. Sounds dangerous to me.

I should read more about this, obviously, but how will the car know what the speed limit is? And what will happen if you are already going, say 60 mph (legally) and the road suddenly becomes a 30 mph limit? Will it brake for you? Sounds dangerous to me too.
Old 27-03-2019, 05:20 PM

To be fair I already have ISA in my car it comes fitted to the passenger seat and asks me if I really need to be driving that f&@£big fast me every time I approach a speed limit!

I think the systems called the wife or something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-03-2019, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Your right,didn't realise it ,but I have the same in the Subaru.
Old 28-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggissimo View Post
I should read more about this, obviously, but how will the car know what the speed limit is? And what will happen if you are already going, say 60 mph (legally) and the road suddenly becomes a 30 mph limit? Will it brake for you? Sounds dangerous to me too.

its controlled by both GPS and traffic sign recognition.........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 28-03-2019, 10:16 AM

our Peugeot 3008 has all the makings to do this, as has the speed limit come up on the dash from both gps location and mapping and also a road sign recognition camera, most of the time it detects the correct speed, but sometimes misses a sign post.

I think the whole idea is a complete waste of time, and I think some people will just drive foot to floor letting the system dictate the speed and thus cause an accident.

If you start taking the thinking away from the driver, it will become more dangerous as their mind focuses on non driving related thoughts. Involvement in driving can keep a driver alert.

People say they will get round this and get the system coded out, but all the government has to do is either spot checks or test it on the MOT and you're pretty well screwed. The insurance companies will love this system as they can data log etc, so if yo have an accident and the system is bypassed, kiss good buy to any insurance cover you thought you had.

I feel like going to live in some 3rd world country these days, as along with the Brexit screw up, I don't really think the future has a lot going for it, to me the whole interest in cars is dying. Cars are either boring or just mega expensive these days.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 28-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20190328184072
Old 28-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggissimo View Post
Bah, they even used a white 3 series in the picture too

(my daily, in case you weren't aware... http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=23338)
Old 29-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

I think the World of owning/driving a car is coming to an end. Personally if I still lived in the UK I would have a motorcycle,I hate coming back and having to drive anywhere,no pleasure involved. Fortunately here in Northern France the roads are empty and well maintained. With ISA on the horizon control is being taken away from the driver, I guess all this doesn't bode well for the sale of performance cars.
Old 29-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
I think the World of owning/driving a car is coming to an end.
Certainly seems to be the long term policy of government.

Look at the way town plans seem to be going. **** all parking! It seems clear that car sharing/ community car schemes will be the way things go.

******** to that!
Old 29-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Have the police and local authorities added up what their loss of revenue will be from lack of speeding fines.

As said above I think people will just drive with their foot on the floor and lose concentration.

2022 The car will have the ability but you can switch it off.
Most modern cars have speed limiters already we just choose to leave them off.
All there doing is integrating it with GPS/Sign recognition and defaulting it to on.

I'm not sure what my road would register or how quick you'll be able to go down the start/finish straight at Goodwood, which is adjacent to the main road.