South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Regular User

Default Petrol smell

On cold start up and running until engine warm I get a petrol smell until the engine is warm!! I sure I have read online that it’s to do with fuel pipes around back, I also read that it was a recall back in the day when the car was new.
Can anyone confirm this or shed any light !
It’s a 2001 model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Rubber hoses on the fuel rails under the inlet manifold.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Like Nick said above, the rubber hoses under the inlet manifold were a re-call on the bug eye models. Only small bits of piping but a bit of a sod to get at, the screws and clamps used in the assembly like to rip your hands apart too!

Mine sometimes smells a bit towards the rear of the car, I believe the charcoal canister/box thing (emissions aid) is under the rear bumper and might have something to do with the smell, especially as the car is running richer when cold.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

As above - take a read here and then the links i posted a while back:
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=23422

You should still be able to get this fixed free of charge by a Subaru dealer, although I don't know of anyone who's tried in the last year or two - most had the problem years ago and have already been fixed!
Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty much as been said, but also check the tightness of the fuel filter clamps mine gave of a smell As wasn’t tight enough after a fuel filter change,