South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 24-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Default Tracking?

Had new brakes fitted at the weekend, discs and pads all round. Now I seem to have a slight shake of the steering wheel over 70mph. All 4 tyres are only a month or so old and balanced, so could they have knocked something out when changing my brakes? Everything else seems fine, except the screeching pads under light braking!
Old 24-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowsdad View Post
Had new brakes fitted at the weekend, discs and pads all round. Now I seem to have a slight shake of the steering wheel over 70mph. All 4 tyres are only a month or so old and balanced, so could they have knocked something out when changing my brakes? Everything else seems fine, except the screeching pads under light braking!
Have you checked your wheel nuts?

Have you lost any weights off the wheels?

What pads and discs did you get?

Last edited by BIG"E"; 24-03-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah checked the wheel nuts first. Haven't noticed any weights missing.
I went for Godspeed grooved discs with the black painted centres, and ebc red stuff. They stop a lot better than what was on there, but I had a slightly warped disc.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Have the same wheels gone back on the same corner ?
Old 24-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Get the wheels balance checked?

did they manage to get the calipers off without any problems?
Old 24-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Crud between wheel and disc?
Old 24-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

They've probably put the rear wheels on the front and vice versa, you wouldn't have noticed the rears being a bit out of balance.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
They've probably put the rear wheels on the front and vice versa, you wouldn't have noticed the rears being a bit out of balance.
That was my thoughts, but they were only balanced and fitted about 6 weeks ago, then the fronts about 4 weeks ago. They had no problems getting the caliper off apparently. I would've done them myself, but I was worried about the caliper bolts being seized.
Old 24-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa male View Post
Yep, if you can feel it more through the pedal when you brake at 70mph then i'd guess at this...... did they clean the hub face up before fitting the new discs? A bit of crud/grit in there and the disc might be slightly out of alignment.

If you can't feel it through the pedal then i'd guess at swapping the wheels round too
Old 24-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Nothing through the pedal. I'll try swapping the wheels front to back at the weekend. I'm looking at getting cdf droplinks and uprated arbs, so once they're done I'll put it in for a full alignment and tracking etc. thanks guys.
Old 24-03-2014, 09:24 PM

Clean the faces of the hubs/backs of wheels and swap front to back as you say, if it still feels the same then something is up with the discs/pads or fitting of them as detailed above.

How long did you bed them in for?

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 24-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

I took them out for an initial bedding in session of breaking from 35mph to a gradual stop, then from 45mph to a gradual stop. Then went for a 70 mile round trip yesterday, but ebc say between 3-400 miles to bed them in. The brakes themselves are great, just a little squealing at low speeds.
Old 25-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

I had the squealing at low speeds when I did the brakes on my classic (New disc, pads and caliper refurb)
I had read that I needed to trim the tabs on my pads where they slide in to the caliper, which i did, but it would seem I didnt take enough off. I took them off to trim a little more off and the low speed squeal disappeared.
I also get a slight wobble on the steering wheel at 70mph+. it gets slightly worse under heavy braking at speed but can't be felt through the brake pedal, just the steering wheel.

My theory at the moment is that the outer CV joint on my drive shaft is a little worn (There is a little play when wiggled by hand) which means the shaft isn't running exactly centre and at speed, this would cause a little wobble. under heavy braking at 70mph, the weight of the shaft would be thrown forward which under heavy braking would result in more wobble than at a lower speed, hence why I would notice it at high speed heavy braking and not low speed heavy braking.
It's on my list of things to try and sort out in a few months when I have more cash.
Old 27-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa male View Post
2nd that...