South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 21-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Bronze Member

Default Lambda sensor??

Afternoon all,

Looks like I might be after a lambda sensor for MY02 bug. My check engine light has popped on a couple of times during a fairly spirited drive. However, once cooled down and turning ign on and off a few times it does go away. I'm aware this may be the 'cat on fire' signal, but also told it may be the lambda playing up. I have got the PPP on here too but these have 2 sensors in the exhaust I'm led to believe??

My question is, should I keep getting this light coming on everytime I give it a bootfull (although it is if i've sped up quick more than 3 times in a row) or could it be the lambda playing up or giving funny emission readings???

If I was to buy one, is there a particular one to look for, as I've been told they have different amounts of wires etc etc and where would the best place be to get one of these...

Many thanks,

Rich
Old 21-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Lambda sensor??

I have a good second hand one you could try/buy (make me an offer), as i brought a genuine subaru one for my bug (£350)....but found the problem elsewhere
Old 22-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

I think my first step will be to check the codes I guess... what did yours turn out to be in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,

Rich
Old 22-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza
I think my first step will be to check the codes I guess... what did yours turn out to be in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,

Rich
Go on...tell him......
Old 22-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Cough Cough.....cant remember now

The fuel pressure reg pipe was off....if i remember right it was bringing up P0170 lean exhaust
Old 22-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Lol, so I guess it wasn't as expensive as you thought?

Mine has been fine for last couple of days, and when the light does come on, the car does not run any different at all.

I will say though, I only recently changed from the classic to the bug, and the power deivery I find quite different, almost like in some gears it does not want to go at all, even up to 5 - 6k, then change into next gear and it pulls like a train.... certainly takes a bit more time to kick in, but when it does... weyheeey!! Smiles all round... I guess this is different turbo characteristics etc??

Rich
Old 22-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You wouldn't believe how much that pipe cost me

Get the code checked to see what it's throwing up....mine felt like it ran no different when the light came on, but there was obviously a problem there....so best get it checked
Old 22-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy
Quote:
You wouldn't believe how much that pipe cost me

Get the code checked to see what it's throwing up....mine felt like it ran no different when the light came on, but there was obviously a problem there....so best get it checked
Those Front O2 sensors are expensive as they are a sudo wideband sensor, about £250 IIRC so you need to be sure it is at fault and it isn't (as Rich found out), just a loose pipe or a loose clip causing extra air to be pulled into the system.

Check all your air hoses, big and small from turbo, inlet and intercooler etc... and also check the fuel pressure reg hose. As this is known to go brittle and crack.

If your near Hastings I can read out the code for you, as it could be a number of things i.e misfire code as the 02 WRX ECU only allows 2 misfires before throwing the CEL (funny enough they put this up to 10 on the later ECU).
Old 23-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

I have a code reader if you want it readand I'm a little closer