South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 29-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Crowman

Default Mapping question for Scott

Hi Scott
My brother as you know has a MY96STI and it has the standard ecu.
He has full decat exhaust system,looks like hayward & Scott,Dawes device and unequall stainless tubular headers.
The car performes well,however it has never been mapped for the uk.
What are his options for his MY.

Thanks
Old 29-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Re: Mapping question for Scott

The MY96 Sti runs the 6K ECU which is basically the Prodrive UK map (I know strange how Prodrive fit a STI spec Map into a UK car).

The fuel/timing are quite safe on UK fuel although I would air on the side of caution raising the boost too high. I have heard (without detcans) a WRX det at 16psi on this map.
IIRC the fuel cut is around 15.6psi and it runs a peak of 13.64psi as standard.

The options are in order of cost :
1. Fit a Chip in the ECU mapped to 1.15bar, with fuel/timing set to match. This map is limited to 1.15bar due to standard MAP sensor and injectors

2. Fit the ESL Live mapping interface inside ECU (where chip would go) and live map out on the road (about 2-3 hours). This will give better results then option 1 as it is mapped live, timing can be set more advanced and the fuelling leaned out a touch for better performance. RRP £350, plus mapping. This is probably a little too much to pay if you do not intend further mods. The ESL comes into it's own when things get more serious.
As standard this is also limited to 1.15bar (unless later map sensor and injectors are fitted). For example a car running 440cc injector and MAP sensor can then me mapped to 1.35bar running the standard TD05, although an intercooler upgrade is advised at this point (TMIC or FMIC).

3. Fit an Apexi PFC, now very rare for Pre96 (approx £550). But this will alo have a boost limit of 1.1bar due to it using the standard Map sensor. An aditional boost controller such as the Apexi AVCR will also be required (additional £200), plus mapping

4. Simtek ECU, nice ECU features and can run dual maps. Cost approx £1000 fitted and mapped. Additional ALS and Launch control can be bolted on for another £250 Approx.

There are more options but these start to go from £1500 to £2500 and not really required unless you want to brag engine managment stats in the pub.
Old 30-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Regular User

Default Re: Mapping question for Scott

Thanks for posting that bro and thanks for the reply Scott. what cost are you looking at for option one scott and is this option a simple plug and play DIY job ? thanks