South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 08-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Regular User

Default MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor MY00

Hi all

Had a seal on the diff replaced today and while it was there I asked them to diagnose a strange running problem. The car feels like it is rocking backward and forward, holding back then going under various throttle psoitions.

I've been told the MAF(Mass Air Flow Sensor) is faulty on my UK Impreza Turbo.

Having browsed about a bit looking for more info, it appears as though I dont need the whole thing(sensor and housing) that appears to be around £250 ish but just the sensor(22794AA010) £108 ish.

Can anybody validate the part number for me please and that it is only this bit that I need.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Re: MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor MY00

Yes thats the correct number and you only need the element, not the whole £250 unit.

You will need a Security Torx tool to replace it, or do what I did and snap the security pip off the screw and use a normal torx bit.

A good check to verify the MAF it to dicsonnect the battery for 1/2 hour then re-connect.
It may run really lumpy then, as it will of reset any learning the ECU has done to compensate for the faulty MAF.

You can also doa diagnostic check, but it doesn't always detect everything, see my FAQ on http://www.polarperformance.co.uk

Sometime the CEL also comes on flagging a faulty 02 sensor.
It's quite common for these to fail together as they work with one another.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Regular User

Thanks for your reply.

I replaced the oxygen sensor with a new OE item a few weeks back so I'm presuming that is ok. Hope I haven't shafted it by not recognising a fault with the MAF sooner.

I'll give the ecu reset a go and see what happens.

Cheers
Old 13-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Regular User

Can anybody tell me please if this item on the bay of e is suitable, 280370279690.

Thanks.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

You realy do not want to fit a second hand one.It does look like the right one to me but at £70 i would get a new one from Subaru cost me £88.47 (Part no.22794AA010) so £18.50 more for the peace of mind that it will work
Old 13-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Regular User

Subaru Gatwick want £108. In fact all OE parts have gone up massivley over an 18 month period it would appear.
Which Subaru dealer did you use?
Old 13-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Culverwells in Robertsbridge 01580880567.I got my maf sensor in Feb and they have not told me of any price updates.The 2 parts guys there are spot on and very helpfull.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Regular User

Cheers

They want £94.16 + VAT, £108.

There are those price increases.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Do you belong to SIDC as Culverwells do club discount my be worth a try.Thing is as i said the my99/00 had a problem with the mafs going so when mine went (at the same time as the lamda) the only choice is new as you never know with a second hand one.
Old 20-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Regular User

Didn't go for the Ebay 1, decided to try something more dangerous. I bought a Nissan 1. So far so good. If it doesn't provide any errors I'll post the part number. £62.