South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 29-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Audi S3 Saloon

Test drove an Audi S3 Saloon (300ps) today with a view to jump out of the Diesel Avant and get back into a petrol (I only do 8 miles a day and that's if I pop home for lunch).

The plan was to try the S3 Saloon manual and then try the S-Tronic.
Didn't bother with the S-Tronic as the S3 in general didn't give me that fizz and I was pretty underwhelmed.

My previous S4 although 6 years older was a much better car both in cabin feel and power delivery. Although on paper there's only 33BHP in it, the S4 felt so much better with the Supercharged V6.

It reminded me of when I bought and collected my STi Hawkeye (320ps PPP) from Halifax and nailed it up the slip-road on the M1. I was left with a feeling of "is that it......I was expecting more".

The S3 is yet another modern turbo charged car where they have mapped out the 'turboness' and made it feel linear and normally aspirated. Which is exactly what I un-done when I remapped the Hawkeye.

In a way it's a shame, but on a more positive note it allowed me to rattle that one out of my head and throw that option on the heap. Big thanks to E'bourne Audi for getting the S3 shipped over from Brighton for the trial.

Walking back across the Audi forecourt back to my Avant it did look very nice in all it's Sepang blue'ness, amongst the regular Black/Grey/Silver Audi brigade.
It's just a shame it doesn't deliver what it looks like and goes dugger dugger instead of broom broom pop crackle........

Sepang Blue RS3 test drive tomorrow then .......
Old 29-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

RS4 the tarmac muncher would be a contender for what might suit your needs with noise and power .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 29-01-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
RS4 the tarmac muncher would be a contender for what might suit your needs with noise and power .
Nice cars but I couldn't justify running the V8. Another S4 or an S5 Sportback may be in contention though.
Old 29-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

I'm very keen to hear your thoughts on the RS3 as that's one I'm very interested in as my next car.

They've got one say at my local dealer, luring me in!
Old 29-01-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
I'm very keen to hear your thoughts on the RS3 as that's one I'm very interested in as my next car.

They've got one say at my local dealer, luring me in!
I've got to go to Tunbridge Wells Audi early tomorrow as Oliver has arranged with the sales manager to go in a video their 2 R8's. I will see what RS's I can drive while he's doing that.
Old 29-01-2016, 09:04 PM

Merc AMG A45???
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 29-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555_Si View Post
Merc AMG A45???
Can't stand the look of them. They look like a Korean hatchback with a bodykit.
A guy near my work had a Mk1 RS Focus, then a Mk2 RS Focus and now an AMG A45...it looks hideous parked outside his office compared to the MK2 RS that was there previously.
Old 29-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
I've got to go to Tunbridge Wells Audi early tomorrow as Oliver has arranged with the sales manager to go in a video their 2 R8's. I will see what RS's I can drive while he's doing that.
Sounds like a decent morning out.

I've driven a R8. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd definitely have one.

If you are flush with time, try the S1 if they have one. My friend drove one and was raving about it. Too small for my liking, but apparently it's great fun.

Quote:
Can't stand the look of them. They look like a Korean hatchback with a bodykit.
A guy near my work had a Mk1 RS Focus, then a Mk2 RS Focus and now an AMG A45...it looks hideous parked outside his office compared to the MK2 RS that was there previously.
You don't have to have the full bodykit. I really like the more subtle version (although maybe that's the one you mean and it is not for you!). Alas, I'm told that are quite inadequate compared to the RS3.
Old 29-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

are you really thinking of changing again?
Old 29-01-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
are you really thinking of changing again?
I was toying with the S3 or the A5 Sportback Quattro but as the 300ps S3 didn't cut it then the 230ps A5 sure won't.
Shame though as I was quoted £7600 discount on the outgoing/soon to be revised A5.
Old 30-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

You've been through so many Audi types lately, are you sure thats the correct brand for you?

and if your seriously thinking of changing either one or 'both' you won't get much better of a showroom than the Nurburgring trip So get your blooming name down
Old 30-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
You've been through so many Audi types lately, are you sure thats the correct brand for you?

and if your seriously thinking of changing either one or 'both' you won't get much better of a showroom than the Nurburgring trip So get your blooming name down
100%.
Old 30-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
you won't get much better of a showroom than the Nurburgring trip So get your blooming name down
Subtle
Old 01-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I was toying with the S3 or the A5 Sportback Quattro but as the 300ps S3 didn't cut it then the 230ps A5 sure won't.
Shame though as I was quoted £7600 discount on the outgoing/soon to be revised A5.
There's lots of haggle room in Audi's atm, you can use broadspeed to take off the "showroom tax".

Currently get 8k off the 3.0tdi Black Edition, or 7.5k off the 2.0 TFSI as a starting point: https://broadspeed.com/main/search_r...5/5/Sportback/
Old 01-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

What about a 135i? Got good reviews and look very nice too imho.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
What about a 135i? Got good reviews and look very nice too imho.
Too small and it looks like it's been rear ended by a bus.

A5 are a cracking deal at the moment and look the dogs in Black Edition Plus trim. Just not sure the power level is quite there. Can get them to 290-315bhp with a tuning module.
But S3 can go to 370 and S4 to 400 with similar dealer undetectable modules.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Too small and it looks like it's been rear ended by a bus.

A5 are a cracking deal at the moment and look the dogs in Black Edition Plus trim. Just not sure the power level is quite there. Can get them to 290-315bhp with a tuning module.
But S3 can go to 370 and S4 to 400 with similar dealer undetectable modules.
Haha, yeah the back end is a bit like that! Like A5's, depending on my budget, the 3.0 tdi may have to be an option for me. The S3/4 are very tuneable, seems they've held them back so as not to upset the RS range.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Test drove a 2012 RS3 sportback Saturday.
It had a bit more poke (335bhp) than the S3 and was S-tronic.
It was a little dated inside and similar style to a B7 2007/2008 A4/RS4 so not as good a perch as in the later S3.

What it did make me realise is that in order to get the 'fun factor' from an Audi that the S-tronic and Damper control is a must.
It brings that extra element that allows you to convert from wafting to hooning in the paddle shift mode.

The S3 would manage this better than the earlier RS3 as the S3 will waft or hoon depending on settings. However in the RS3 it was neither a wafter or hooner but somewhere in the middle.
I was disappointed with the RS3 exhaust note and almost non-existent up shift barks. My old S4 was more audible. I think the latest RS3 has gone full-on in this respect.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I think its new German performance cars in general to be honest. They've all gone for the smooth power delivery and they are so well built that you really don't realise how fast you are going, which seems to be what they aim for.

ive also driven the S3 and found it about as uninspiring as the golf r that we run at work. Don't get me wrong, in the real world they are quick cars but soleless. I went out in a mates new 535d msport and was expecting to feel the massive surge that the torque suggests but didn't.

I think the nearest thing to a new scoob (not counting the new sti which is still far to expensive to run compared to its rivals) is the ne Honda Civic type r . It's got mad looks and had rave reviews on performance and feel. I will definitely be trying one when the merc goes back. The new focus RS could be worth a try too.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The new focus RS could be worth a try too.
I'm waiting on that one, although having sat in one the seating position is too high and doesn't appear to be adjustable in the optional Recaro and if I can't sit in a Recaro then that rules the whole car out IMHO.
The fit/finish inside was better than expected but no Audi.
For such a sporting pedigree car the steering wheel was hideous.

In the small amount of what appear to be magazine but 'ford weighted' youtube reviews they talk about pops and bangs but I'm struggling to hear them on the footage.

The Civic looks like some of my boyz Hot Wheels cars. Needs to loose the red bits and gain 4WD.

The Cupra Sub8 pack gets great reviews but add Sub8 makes it S3 money and that comes with more toys, comfort and 4WD.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I went out in a mates new 535d msport and was expecting to feel the massive surge that the torque suggests but didn't.
I think these torque figures are a bit contrived/misleading.
Yes they produce that torque but only on a wide open throttle from low revs.
The drive by wire throttle mapping prevents max torque being applied at part throttle, in order to give you that linear power delivery.
Hence why I fitted a DTUK pedal box to the A4.
I now have the choice of 'old man' torque delivery or 'baseball cap' torque delivery.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Test drove a 2012 RS3 sportback Saturday.
It had a bit more poke (335bhp) than the S3 and was S-tronic.
It was a little dated inside and similar style to a B7 2007/2008 A4/RS4 so not as good a perch as in the later S3.

What it did make me realise is that in order to get the 'fun factor' from an Audi that the S-tronic and Damper control is a must.
It brings that extra element that allows you to convert from wafting to hooning in the paddle shift mode.

The S3 would manage this better than the earlier RS3 as the S3 will waft or hoon depending on settings. However in the RS3 it was neither a wafter or hooner but somewhere in the middle.
I was disappointed with the RS3 exhaust note and almost non-existent up shift barks. My old S4 was more audible. I think the latest RS3 has gone full-on in this respect.
A lot of reviewers picked up on the dated look of the cabin in an RS3 and said pretty much the same as you. The new one is meant to be better and improves upon the mk1's floors but is very expensive still.

There is supposedly a sport button you push which increases the exhaust noise but having driven Subarus as long as you have, I guess most cars seem tame in comparison when it comes to noise! I'd love one as it gives the best of both worlds but at (currently) circa £25k, is out of my reach.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
A lot of reviewers picked up on the dated look of the cabin in an RS3 and said pretty much the same as you. The new one is meant to be better and improves upon the mk1's floors but is very expensive still.

There is supposedly a sport button you push which increases the exhaust noise but having driven Subarus as long as you have, I guess most cars seem tame in comparison when it comes to noise! I'd love one as it gives the best of both worlds but at (currently) circa £25k, is out of my reach.
I was pushing the sport button in and out on the A21 Pembury bypass. It did make a difference but certainly didn't make it all snarly.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I was pushing the sport button in and out on the A21 Pembury bypass. It did make a difference but certainly didn't make it all snarly.
Shame as they have the potential to sound amazing I think. Nothing an exhaust swap wouldn't fix mind.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:31 PM

Just had my weekly Audi Coffee fix. Had 4 rings of chocolate powder on my cappachino which was a nice touch.
Test drove a 230ps petrol A4 S-tronic, as they didn't have a petrol A5 Sportback Plus available. It was very nice and a much more pleasurable drive than the 2.0 TDi.
Good bit of torque and much more responsive pull away.
The throttle response was even more responsive off the line than the S3, which seems to had a dead bit of pedal much like my TDi.

Also drove a 300ps S3 S-tronic after last week's dissapointment with the Manual.
It was hard to believe they are the same car. The S-tronic version was so much better pulling through the gears with pops and farts on the up shift.
But will this car end up competing to close to my Subaru ?

I want the S3 engine noises in the A5 please.

Getting the A5 to 300ps is easy enough though.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM

This

Or This :

But which wheels :
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

THIS

and the other wheels look SH IT E!

Last edited by thepieman; 05-02-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

I like the 10 spoke wheels.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:

THIS

and the other wheels look SH IT E!

Agreed, one of my colleagues has a company car which happens to be an Audi with those huge, multi-spoke black wheels, I couldn't believe they are an Audi option, thought someone had gone all Halfords on it.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Agreed - A5 with 20" rotor alloys

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 05-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
Agreed, one of my colleagues has a company car which happens to be an Audi with those huge, multi-spoke black wheels, I couldn't believe they are an Audi option, thought someone had gone all Halfords on it.
I thought that when I first saw them about 6 months ago. But they are growing on me.
I think it's an incoming fashion as a few other marque are introducing retro style multi-spokes.
I have seen them on new Porsche, Merc AMG and the Cupra280 Sub8 pack.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

theres an s3 saloon running round eastbourne. It does sound good, think its dsg if thats your bag?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 PM

Ignoring the fact that this has an S5 badge on the grill instead of a Quattro this I think is the image that does it for me.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

I'm not a fan of that A5, so for me it would be the S3 saloon.

But if we all liked exactly the same thing it'd be quite a boring world!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
I'm not a fan of that A5, so for me it would be the S3 saloon.

But if we all liked exactly the same thing it'd be quite a boring world!
agreed. the a5 is a bit too grown up for me
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM

Managed to swing by Reading Audi on the way to Cheltenham to see in person one of very few available in my preferred spec and colour combination.
I think I may of decided that the fit form and function ticks many boxes for me.
Internally it has as much room as an A4/S4 but is a lot more chuckable down a British 'A' road.
The only sacrifice is about a small holdall worth of boot space.

The picture does not do it justice and it was a real Wow!!!!! moment when I swung onto the forecourt.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

rumours are there is going to be an s3 clubsport soon
Old 11-02-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Managed to swing by Reading Audi on the way to Cheltenham to see in person one of very few available in my preferred spec and colour combination.
I think I may of decided that the fit form and function ticks many boxes for me.
Internally it has as much room as an A4/S4 but is a lot more chuckable down a British 'A' road.
The only sacrifice is about a small holdall worth of boot space.

The picture does not do it justice and it was a real Wow!!!!! moment when I swung onto the forecourt.

Looks absolutely stunning!!!!!

&
Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
rumours are there is going to be an s3 clubsport soon
Rumours have been around for as while. The club sport demonstrator was also thought to be a trial on the reaction for a potential RS3 Saloon.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:50 PM

And the A5
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

A5 looks wow me compared

S car mirrors look ****

the 135i Coupe is better looking than the hatch
Old 11-02-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiidaa View Post
A5 looks wow me compared

S car mirrors look ****
Their in the folded position.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:

the 135i Coupe is better looking than the hatch
Not enough doors for my requirements.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Quote:
Their in the folded position.

I was referring to their colour, 💩
Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I was referring to their colour, 💩
All Audi 'S' models have aluminium mirror backs. It's how you tell the Audi in your mirror is a hot one.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
All Audi 'S' models have aluminium mirror backs. It's how you tell the Audi in your mirror is a hot one.

(Runs out to spray my mirrors chrome!) pmsl

&
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Bronze Member

Tough one but I'd lean toward the S3.... I would want the 5 spokes from the S5 on it though which probably isn't possible!
Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Just drove a Cupra 290.
Nah !!!!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Quote:
yes, i'm fully aware, I just think they look **** and i'd have to plastidip them for as long as i owned the car...
Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

the 5 spoke deep dish props do suit those the best