South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 19-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

Default Widetrack rear arch rolling

Hi guys and girls.

So having fitted the new wheels and suspension and now find the tyres rubbing slightly on the arch when I go over bumpy roads or corner hard, its only a very slight rub just on the shoulder of the tyre.
My first thought was to add camber bolts which I did but still not cure it so my next option is to get the rear arch's rolled.
I am not running the car ultra low and the wheel and tyre size is not horrific (225/40/18 tyres on 18x8.75 et35 wheels).

Does anyone know or is able to recommend me anyone to do it?

Cheers
Simon

Tein - Enkei - Cosworth - Toyo - H&S - RaceDynamix - Godspeed - Performance Friction - Hel - Pro-sport - OMP - HT Autos
STI 2006 Blobeye
Old 19-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

This may not help, but when I changed the rear setup on my 200sx s14a and changed my tyres to Goodyear eagle F1s they rubbed on the archs?
I to was going to do the same as you, but I was booked in to have my wheel alignment checked all round and believe it or not my wheels now clear the rear arches. It was only out a couple of degree but enough for them to rub, but all sorted now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 19-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Widetrack do not have any arch lip on the rear, in the same fashion as the earlier Blob, Bug or Classic
It's already been removed by Subaru, hence the plastic arch extensions.

It could be the tyre rubbing on the rear bumper support bracket/clip head.
Old 19-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Will rolling the arches on the rear of a widetrack cause issues with the figment of the plastic arch covers?
Old 19-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
Will rolling the arches on the rear of a widetrack cause issues with the figment of the plastic arch covers?
There's nothing to roll. Run your fingers round and you will see/feel it's already been removed.
Old 19-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Widetrack do not have any arch lip on the rear, in the same fashion as the earlier Blob, Bug or Classic
It's already been removed by Subaru, hence the plastic arch extensions.

It could be the tyre rubbing on the rear bumper support bracket/clip head.
Hey Scott,

There is defiantly an arch lip there all be it very minor, I had actually replaced one of the arch extensions as it was marked, I have had a good look / feel around.
We are only talking minor rub too and I have yet to find out exactly where it is making contact, I will check out the bumper bracket like you say.
There are a couple of posts on the net of people removing this lip, its tiny but it is the difference in rubbing or not

I am booked in at Abbey Motorsport to get the geo done so will see what they say
Cheers
Simon

Tein - Enkei - Cosworth - Toyo - H&S - RaceDynamix - Godspeed - Performance Friction - Hel - Pro-sport - OMP - HT Autos
STI 2006 Blobeye
Old 19-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon-Sti View Post
Hey Scott,

There is defiantly an arch lip there all be it very minor, I had actually replaced one of the arch extensions as it was marked, I have had a good look / feel around.
We are only talking minor rub too and I have yet to find out exactly where it is making contact, I will check out the bumper bracket like you say.
There are a couple of posts on the net of people removing this lip, its tiny but it is the difference in rubbing or not

I am booked in at Abbey Motorsport to get the geo done so will see what they say
Cheers
Simon
I checked mine whilst the springs were off by jacking the wheel into the arch with a shock on, and with no springs fitted. It just cleared the arch lip but the first point of contact was the bumper clip.

Another place it can touch, on full compression, is the top of the inner arch.
I'm not sure on a widetrack, but the pressing of the arch on the classic has a step in it. Standard offset wheels go inside this step and hit the damper bumpstop before hitting the inner arch, wider offset can touch it before hitting the bumpstops.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

So after much internet searching it turns out its not a simple arch roll on the widetrack, a couple of people have removed the rear arch extensions and shaved out whats left of the arch and replaced the arch extensions, something I don't really have the skills to do.
So first question is is anyone willing to take this one with me or could recommend a suitable body shop that would (somewhere people have used before)
Or..
I have also looked into getting rear camber plates and maybe be able to give it enough camber that there would not be the need to touch the arches, anyone use these at all, people talk about tyre wear etc?

Thanks
Simon

STI 2006 Blobeye