South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 18-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Default oils

this may sound stupid but i wouldn't mind changing the gearbox oil but is that all i need to change for the transmission side just the gearbox oil or is there any other oils that would need to be changed and do the gearbox have a filter like the engine does
Old 18-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

No filter in the gearbox. Just a magnet in the drain plug to check for any metal chunks/flakes etc. Gearbox needs to be filled via the dipstick tube (under intercooler) so have a funnel handy.

It makes sense to do the rear diff oil at the same time as gearbox. Some scoobs use the same oil for both (my bugeye does) but I've got a feeling thats not the case for all models so worth checking.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:38 AM

I spoke with Alyn @ AS Performance - he supplied all my oils for gearbox, and engine, and diff e.t.c. - I went Millers Nanotech for engine, and Millers for gearbox and diff, although for mine, he did supply a different oil for the gearbox and the diff.

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 19-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 View Post
he did supply a different oil for the gearbox and the diff.
Interesting... i thought it was some classics that needed different oil for the rear diff, didn't realise it was newage STIs as well.

Every days a school day!
Old 19-08-2015, 10:26 AM

I wasn't sure tbh so as always - stuck with what Alyn sent me - all the gear and no idea me!

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 19-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

mines the buyeye wrx 2001
i going to do a service soon so wanted to do the whole lot for a piece of mind
Old 19-08-2015, 08:59 PM

You can use the same oil in diff as well as gearbox on the STI and wrx but it's would be better if using it spiritedly to use a nice LSD oil that's a little thicker like a CRX LS 75w/140 millers. I'm guessing this is what Ryan has from Alyn as its what I get from him for the diff

I use redline lightweight shockproof in the gearbox itself which is not cheap! but supposed to be decent.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Interesting... i thought it was some classics that needed different oil for the rear diff, didn't realise it was newage STIs as well.

Every days a school day!
Mine has different oils for the gear box and the diff.

Mine is a LSD, not sure but I think the DCCD boxes go on to LSDs (but I am probably wrong)
Old 19-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

how can i find out if my diff uses the same oil as the gearbox and what do everyone use in theres so i can get an idea on what to get

Last edited by adamcain; 19-08-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 20-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcain View Post
how can i find out if my diff uses the same oil as the gearbox and what do everyone use in theres so i can get an idea on what to get
Handbook will tell you what it expects, details above what myself and 1 or 2 others are using.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 23-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
You can use the same oil in diff as well as gearbox on the STI and wrx but it's would be better if using it spiritedly to use a nice LSD oil that's a little thicker like a CRX LS 75w/140 millers. I'm guessing this is what Ryan has from Alyn as its what I get from him for the diff

I use redline lightweight shockproof in the gearbox itself which is not cheap! but supposed to be decent.
your slightly mixed up there, you use an LSD specific oil for the rear diff if required (Type-R's, most STi's, etc..) - most std WRX/UK cars you can use same F&R BUT depends on the exact age and model.......

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!