South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Default Dash Cam

Just wondered if anyone has a dash cam, what make and what you think of them.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 PM

I have a nextbase 512g from halfords, got it as it has an anti glare polarising lense which really cuts down refections on windscreen.

Inhave seen video from cameras a lot cheaper and to be honest they are good as well. Currently looking for a cheaper one myself for the back of the car.

Though while quality is good, capturing number plates on cars is somewhat hit and miss unless slow speed and right in front.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Hate the idea myself.
Are we all so paranoid about a crash that we have to video everything.

I'm more paranoid about some old duffer walking into the police station with evidence of a 'slightly risky overtake' performed, due to their inability to register the change of speed limit.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Hate the idea myself.

I'm more paranoid about some old duffer walking into the police station with evidence of a 'slightly risky overtake' performed, due to their inability to register the change of speed limit.
I'm not fond of the idea either but with so many liars in this world, sometimes its needed.

A colleague of mine had some idiot pull out of a side turning and scrape right down the side of his Octavia VRS (a reasonably new one too). Both doors and rear quarter. Other driver accepted liability at the scene then changed his tune when speaking to his insurance company and claimed it was my colleagues fault and tried to claim all damages though his insurance instead.

Dash cam evidence from the VRS was supplied and the claim was bounced back. Seems that its a case of guilty until proven innocent these days.

Saying that, I don't have a dash cam either.... yet.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Formerly Taomyn

I tried using a cheap action-cam off Amazon for a while, but the audio was terrible - I didn't want to get something just for dash-cam use. Then in trying to "mod" it to get more sound to the microphone, I broke it completely. Lucky it was cheap. I read up on plenty of dedicated dash-cams but none seemed outstanding.

In the end I decided on paying a little more and get something of quality and got a good deal on a GoPro 5 Black. Perfect for the job and for plenty of other uses - one day I'll manage to find the time to do some driving videos. I thought the voice control would be a gimmick, but it's picked up my expletives on a few occasions when something has surprised me, then auto tagged that point in the video. It's also handy for controlling it while driving. Like I said this is a quality product and well designed, so not cheap and definitely not something I can leave in the car at all times.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Hate the idea myself.

not to mention the issue if you are stopped for something minor and then find you have self inflicted "evidence" of something else..........
whilst i'm sure most aren't idiots then there will be occasions that things get "entertaining" and it is the purest evil these days

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!