South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > 555 Wagon Squadron > 555 Wagon Squadron's AREA 51

555 Wagon Squadron's AREA 51 Enter at your own risk!!!

Old 15-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Regular User

Default Rear arch repair recommendation

Hello fellow wagon owners. I have a 1998 reg, turbo 2000 wagon. the rear arches and sill are rusting in the usual places. I don't know if I should repair it or just leave it and run it into the ground. Are these cars worth repairing?
Has anyone had their arches repaired etc and can you recommend a repairer?

Many thanks
Oliver
Old 15-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Joeshoey on surreyscoobies had a 1998 JDM wagon done recently.

He lives in Caterham I think, so not a million miles away from you. Can't recall who he used, but that might be of use.

I can ask him for you, or you could sign up and message him. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you details.
Old 15-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

it depends on how much you value your car. Do you mind driving with it getting progressively worse? Are you happy to run it into the ground and then change at the end? Its more likely to hold its value if you put some money into it now before it get sooo bad. Just saying...
Old 15-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

To get it done properly you're looking at £250 -400 a side for the arches, depends on where you go and whether its a cash in hand job or not, sill won't be as much as you can hide it under the side skirt.

Shane
Old 15-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
To get it done properly you're looking at £250 -400 a side for the arches, depends on where you go and whether its a cash in hand job or not, sill won't be as much as you can hide it under the side skirt.

Shane
get them done then shane
Old 15-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Regular User

That is what I'm talking about. If I hit it now I can save it, but it's finding a good repair shop that will do the job completely. If not it's going to rot away. I have heard of the strut going through the arch which mine is not anywhere near yet
Old 15-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I know, Germany is paid for now, cam belt on he passat next month and then Steering rack and Suspension arms after that, then Family holiday and then get them done over the winter, got an STi rear spoiler to be done and probably a P1 splitter so need to save my pennies.
Old 30-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Regular User

My MY00 wagon is also showing signs of rust bubbles on one rear arch, no reason to think the other won't be following suit soon too.

If there is someone that can be recommended to do the job, I'd be interested to hear who it is too.
Old 30-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Bronze Member

I had mine cut out and replaced a couple of years ago.. Done it cheaply and now needs doing again. Thinking I'll probably go the route of ABW so get the arches cut out and their wide arch kit put on hopefully eliminating the risk of it coming back!
Old 23-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Suppose it's like everything else....you get what you pay for.

Fairlight coachworks in Peacehaven is the only decent bodyshop I've found round here
Old 09-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

Remember - you get what you pay for